Anyone familiar with Ohm Walsh speakers?

YK Thom

Anyone familiar with Ohm Walsh speakers? For some reason or another they keep popping up on my Facebook. I have never seen or heard one (I don't know if they were even sold in Canada).

Like Klipsch, they seem to have have all their products built around an in-house concept (although radically different of course), and have been around for some time. There seems to be a dearth of reviews. Just curious as their design is almost the anti-Klipsch in concept.

I gotta get out more...

I almost bought a pair of "F's" back when they were in production.  I'm guessing I was contemplating about 1980/8? era.

Unconventional in how they worked.  I think they used a bit of power to come alive.

I finally stopped & thought that my LaScalas weren't bested by them so why spend the funds.  Today, I'm glad that happened as my LaScalas are still playing.... and the Ohm's (at least the F) have rotted foam by now and perhaps other issues, making them near inoperable unless you dump some more cash into them.

whew!

I might add that I also had a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's at this same time.  I generally played both the LaScalas (for chest pounding) and EV's (for foundation shaking) at the same time so that the Ohm's might have played lower than the LaScalas (if I recall) was negated for me by the EV's.

I might add that I also had a pair of Electrovoice Interface D's at this same time.  I generally played both the LaScalas (for chest pounding) and EV's (for foundation shaking) at the same time so that the Ohm's might have played lower than the LaScalas (if I recall) was negated for me by the EV's.

I love the Interface Ds. Near impossible to find. I did find out the new Ohms are redesigned and no longer use foam. 88db at 2.8v, so I would imagine they would suck some serious juice. Do you recall what they sounded like? I would imagine a pretty good sound-stage but have no idea as to clarity and such.

• Like 1

No, I really don't....been too long.  I heard them at a dealer.

I read a glowing report on them which is what got me interested in them.  

As I recall (speaking only of the "F" series), they had a 12" woofer/driver that was firing down from the top of the speaker structure.  The driver had some kind of aluminum (or something) band down its depth (height).  Therefore at the upper end of the driver where the cone was more narrow, it acted more like a tweeter and put out HF energy, as you went down the cone, it widened and the sound dropped commensurately.

Single driver with great coherence as I recall.

Couldn't touch the dynamics of the LaScala (or if I recall, the EV's)

• Like 2

I love the Interface Ds. Near impossible to find. I did find out the new Ohms are redesigned and no longer use foam. 88db at 2.8v, so I would imagine they would suck some serious juice. Do you recall what they sounded like? I would imagine a pretty good sound-stage but have no idea as to clarity and such.

The ones that were all the rage in the early '70s were the ones I heard.  They did require a lot of power, and rarely got it. They sounded "mellow," i.e., they had high frequencies that sounded very inoffensive, and the opposite of strident.  They had 360 degree coverage, so they would be placed quite a way out from walls (at least the ones I saw).  I suspect they had some pleasant, rich sounding, harmonic distortion, as so many speakers that sound "good," but are not very accurate, do.  I considered them, but eventually passed them up for Klipschorns, which sounded clearer, more dynamic and more "real" to me.  If we take both manufacturers' specs at face value, and place them according to instructions, 50 watts into a Klipschorn would produce similar SPL to more than 1,600 watts into an Ohm F.

Edited by garyrc

I have heard the 2000.  Definitely not a fan.  To me, they sounded muffled and very recessed.  They are very mellow sounding, and take a lot of power.  The ones I heard are only 88db, so quite a bit different than what Klipsch provides.  I guess for background music or if you aren't really paying much attention, they are enjoyable, but I couldn't get into it if I wanted to just sit and listen.

• Like 1