How to transmit music- Desktop to Old School receiver?

Karsoncookie

I need help please as to how to send audio signal from typical basic 3 year old desktop computer wirelessly 20' to a 30 yr old basic Yamaha receiver.

Please understand, I do not know, NOR care to learn anything about any of this new fangled Bluetooth, DAC'S, Spotify, Shiitts, whatever stuff,

I dont text, and I survive w/o My Space. Or is it Facebook nowadays?

Just figure I live in Mayberry.

I just want it to work as simply and cheaply as possible.

I have been asked "does the computer have Bluetooth"?

My Mrs. says no. It has "Radio" ?   she sez.

I want, her when at her computer, to very easily, at a whim "cast" youtube, or her "playlist" ( whatever that means) to hear the music on my receiver's speakers not far from her.

The most I want her to have to do, is walk to the receiver and change the input selector switch.

Is there like an inexpenxive dongle to put on both ends to make this connection ?

O, we do have Wifi in the house, our computers and printer are "wireless"

I need to do this cheap,and plug and play. not Fine Wine Audiophile.

Thank you,   Lars

• Like 1

How cheap is cheap?

This is the cheapest one I can think of:  http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Wireless/W3-Wireless-Audio-Adapter

The transmitter connects to the PC via USB (you have to select it as the audio output device in the PC) and the receiver has a 1/8" analog output to connect to a receiver/amp.

It supports up to 16 bit / 48 kHz resolution, so good enough for youtube and CD-derived music files.

Same principle but cheaper ( I know you said you don't care to learn about it but theres not much to learn).

The $10.00 dongle plugs into a usb port on your girls laptop making it bluetooth enabled.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/231444165013?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

This $27.00 bluetooth receiver plugs into your stereo.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-980-000910-Bluetooth-Audio-Adapter/dp/B00IQBSW28/ref=pd_sim_422_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41UR6fEoZTL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=11395X0A4RAZTPPH9RRB

You simply sync the two, and your up and running.  My wife uses this same receiver upstairs on the H.H. Scott .  Soon as she turns on her bluetooth on her phone.  It automatically syncs to it and shes playing music. 

Puts you at about 37.00 and is simple.

• Like 1

No reviews, but this looks like it would do the trick since you have wifi and your computer is also wifi.

http://www.amazon.com/AGPtEK%C2%AE-Receiver-Supports-AirPlay-Samsung/dp/B00UBQ1OSK/ref=sr_1_13?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1456456952&sr=1-13&keywords=wifi+dlna

edit: Forget that, with a 30 year old receiver, you need RCA outputs in whatever you use.

Edited by mustang guy

FM transmitter is the best non-tech way to go.  However, it's about 150 bucks for top notch and requires at least an ability to solder though no tech beyond that.  Much prefer it to the "modern" stuff as the sound is great and all one needs to know to use it is how to operate an FM radio.

Should add there are cheaper FM transmitters as low as in the 50 or so category but I was never happy with them.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

OK guys, looking better,

Will let this run a few days to see if other options are suggested.

After that, would one of you knowledgeable on this stuff please just tell me bottom line which choice to take?

Again, I know nothing about pros/ cons here, and not in my interest to learn zone.Thanks all again,  Lars

One added thing - We have a Google Chromecast stick in our TV, and it sucks because only certain things are "castable" from the PC's, and there's often weird time delay issues, I hope not to get something like that. PITA,   

I need help please as to how to send audio signal from typical basic 3 year old desktop computer wirelessly 20' to a 30 yr old basic Yamaha receiver.

Please understand, I do not know, NOR care to learn anything about any of this new fangled Bluetooth, DAC'S, Spotify, Shiitts, whatever stuff,

My Mrs. says no. It has "Radio" ? she sez.

I want, her when at her computer, to very easily, at a whim "cast" youtube, or her "playlist" ( whatever that means) to hear the music on my receiver's speakers not far from her.

The most I want her to have to do, is walk to the receiver and change the input selector switch.

Is there like an inexpenxive dongle to put on both ends to make this connection ?

Thank you, Lars

Where is her getting her music from? Because I use Google chromecast audio. It' s $35 and it use WiFi, sound quality is great, and it's pretty simple to use and connect. Only problem it that I know it doesn't work with apple iTunes and just a few others. But it does cast from YouTube and of course Google music and many others as well. Tell me what she uses and I can check for you.

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk

My Mrs. says no. It has "Radio" ? she sez.

Thank you, Lars

Where is her getting her music from? Because I use Google chromecast audio. It' s $35 and it use WiFi, sound quality is great, and it's pretty simple to use and connect. Only problem it that I know it doesn't work with apple iTunes and just a few others. But it does cast from YouTube and of course Google music and many others as well. Tell me what she uses and I can check for you.

Sorry just read that you have chromecast, don't think chromecast audio will be much different but if nothing else works, can't hurt to check out.

To just get sound from a computer to a vintage receiver or amp, just use the earphone out jack on the computer with a "Y" connector that has the small earphone plug on one end and RCA jacks on the other. I hope that is what you are looking for.

That's how most people do it. Cheap and easy. 

However, he said this: "send audio signal from typical basic 3 year old desktop computer wirelessly 20'".