Turntable help and advice

This was given to me as a gift but does not work. It seems that all the grease has hardened over the years. It will not move other than the platter spins smooth. Have not plugged it in yet for fear of breaking something. Is this worth fixing and if so who could I send it to? Will post pics.post-49728-0-11040000-1456948298_thumb.j

log onto fixmydual.com, ask for Bill. Send it to him and it will run about $200.00 ish for a total restoration.

Restored Dual 1229's run anywhere from $350-$700.00. A plinth for this will run between $25.00-50.00 for an original, and a custom from $90.00-250.00.

That is an idler wheel and they can replace it or just sand it to make it supple again.The grease is not as hard as it seems either.

I'd keep it if I were you. If you want to get rid of it,let me know.

This is my 1229 redone in 2 plinths I did.

post-59264-0-48840000-1456948676_thumb.j  post-59264-0-35320000-1456948975_thumb.j

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, the table can be used, fully automatic, semi automatic, and manual. If the platter turns and it has the cartridge, hook it up and try it out. You can plug in RCA plugs right on it as well. I upgraded my cables as well.

You're more than welcome to PM me if you have questions as I have this and a Dual 701, and have used a few other Duals.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention, the table can be used, fully automatic, semi automatic, and manual. If the platter turns and it has the cartridge, hook it up and try it out. You can plug in RCA plugs right on it as well. I upgraded my cables as well.

You're more than welcome to PM me if you have questions as I have this and a Dual 701, and have used a few other Duals.

Thank you so much for the help!!

fine table, the 1229 was my very first TT purchase as a teen. Well worth restoration. There are a good number of different lubricants used in one of these so a factory experience level technician is your best option. Not saying they have to have worked or trained with Dual just that they have to be skilled at that level in the art of Dual to do the best job having all the correct lubricants. One of the times when an OC personality is exactly who you want for the job.

• Like 2

If I may recommend a few cartridges for the table, the Stanton 681EEE with a Jico D6800EEE Shibata is a nice cartridge for that table as is an Ortofon VMS20E MKII. Then take the VMS and get the Jico upgraded VMS 30E MKII stylus. Both cartridges are MM (moving iron). I also use a Stanton 881S cartridge either stock with a D81S,D81, or D81E stylus and Jico D81 Shibata. Ortofon OM30 or OM40, Shure V-15 III with the VN35E stylus,if none are available on the stylus, the Ed Saunders VN35E stylus is good. ADC is also nice on the table.

Keep an update on the table.

It looks like you are missing the counterweight on the table. If so let me know I have an extra one.

I have a part in the box ( I have the original box and paperwork) what does the weight look like?

Allow me: linky

post-19886-0-94520000-1456973487.jpg

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 2

Shhh, let sleeping dogs lye
You mean we don't need controversy and arguing?

I love this place and just don't get caught up in the drama. It works for me, and this type of response and help is what makes the forum great!

Bruce

• Like 1

Do you have a cartridge on the table? If so which one? I would also get a few other things ahead of time while you get it serviced. A gram scale,either manual or digital, and a protractor to align the cartridge. The Dual head shells are pretty easy for the most part though.

Do you have a cartridge on the table? If so which one? I would also get a few other things ahead of time while you get it serviced. A gram scale,either manual or digital, and a protractor to align the cartridge. The Dual head shells are pretty easy for the most part though.

Will look and see what cart I have and post up a pic and any other info I can find.