Monoprice Luxe or Cabernet HDMI Cable?

Youthman

We are getting close to completing the new front cabinet for my home theater so I need to order a longer HDMI cable.  My current cable is 40' but does not support 4k.  I don't have 4k now but I want to install a cable that supports 4k in case I upgrade to a 4k projector in the future.

So I'm considering the following:

Luxe Series CL3 Active High Speed HDMI® Cable, 50ft - $64.99

Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active High Speed HDMI® Cable, 50ft - $60.00

Seems like the only difference between the two is the Luxe is CL3 (vs CL2) and has a "premium braided jacket" (whoohoo). 

Anything else I'm missing between the two?  Any thoughts or suggestions?

I have recently been following the JVC owners forum at AVS and that last 100 pages have been on the topic of issues with UHD 4K and cables among other issues, including issues with active cables, since the Samsung UHD BD player came out.  The UHD 4K spec requires cables capable of 18gbps and the results have been very flaky.  From what I am seeing there, 40ft might be a challenge.  They are tearing their hair out trying to get 6ft to work.  Most of the video pros over there like Monoprice and the cable you reference claims 18gbps capability.  And by the time you move to 4K (and upgrade pretty much everything in your signal path) the HDMI chipsets might be better, and cables might be better.  But currently there are lots of issues out there with 18gbps.  I'd say go with the monoprice, but be prepared and able to change the cable if and when you have issues.  Alot of people over there are having issues with cables that are supposedly spec'd to work.  Many have purchased a device called HD Fury ($250) or used other techniques like receiver or display settings to manipulate the encoding (to lower the bit rate) to get things to work.

• Moderators

Appreciate the info rgdawsonco.  Unfortunately, HDMI has always been flaky.  I myself have had "handshake" issues over the years.  HDMI is a fantastic format...but it does have it's bugs.  It's almost as if technology is changing so rapidly, manufacturing companies are having difficulty keeping up and using a "standard" format that everyone can build their products upon. 

I definitely will have the ability to change cables in the future as technology is ever changing.  I've never been one to always have the latest / greatest....I tend to remain a few years behind technology as it is too expensive to stay on the "cutting edge" and I'll let others rip their hair out as they get the bugs worked out.

It is.  LOL  Wasn't quite thinking on that one. 

You still have to spend quite a bit more for 4k, however its just easier to run Cat6 and terminate than to run  HDMI.  Of coarse you would still have to run the flexible conduit, but you will be able to run new wires down the road if need be.

• Moderators
You still have to spend quite a bit more for 4k,

Yeah, it wasn't too long ago that I bartered for my AE8000u and I love it.  I don't see myself upgrading to a 4k projector anytime soon.  Will likely have it for 4-5 years.

however its just easier to run Cat6 and terminate than to run HDMI.

Why would Cat6 be easier to run than HDMI?  I used an HDMI over Cat6 in our youth ministry building because it is about 100'.  I had to have a power supply at each end for the converter boxes.  HDMI is just one cable.

• Like 1

You still have to spend quite a bit more for 4k,

Yeah, it wasn't too long ago that I bartered for my AE8000u and I love it. I don't see myself upgrading to a 4k projector anytime soon. Will likely have it for 4-5 years.

however its just easier to run Cat6 and terminate than to run HDMI.

Why would Cat6 be easier to run than HDMI? I used an HDMI over Cat6 in our youth ministry building because it is about 100'. I had to have a power supply at each end for the converter boxes. HDMI is just one cable.
On the why is easier? I dont like having to pull a large hdmi cable connector through conduit.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Well, it looks like we are going to use my current 40' cable and a coupler to a 10' Ultra Slim HDMI Cable.  Wakejunkie was concerned about a long single cable moving when the bottom cabinet is extended.  No need to upgrade my 40' cable to the Luxe 18Gbps Cable since I do not have a 4k projector likely won't for many years.

• Like 1