Windows 10 Guru Here? HELP

artto

I recently bought several new PC. This is an Ethernet question.

For some reason the network name (if that's the correct term) is different on the computers. Three PC were delivered with Windows 10 pre-installed, and an older fourth PC originally Windows 7 upgraded to 10.

In the lower right hand corner of the display there is a Network# Internet Access icon. The two newest PC show Network 2, the third newest PC says Network 3, the upgraded PC shows Network 4.

How do I get these all on the same Network #?

Not sure about the Network #s you mention.  But, I would start by getting all your machines on the same Workgroup if they are not.  Otherwise, it will be difficult to get them to see each other.

You can change the Workgroup name by going to the 'System' page in your control panel.  Then select the 'Change Settings' link under the Computer name, domain and workgroup settings line. 

I don't have a network# on my system that I can find. What page do you find that in?

I don't have a network# on my system that I can find. What page do you find that in?

On the display/monitor - Windows Desktop - in the lower right hand corner by the clock and speaker/audio, when you sweep the mouse cursor over it, it says "Network # Internet Access".

So, you are saying that the Workgroup is more important than "Network #" to get the machines to "see" each other and share?

Yes. The workgroup has to be the same for them to share files. The network connection is just what's assigned to the ethernet or wireless adapter. Just like they have to be in the same subnet for access to each other but I'm sure you don't have to worry about access across multiple Vlans like I do at the school where I'm the network administrator. Home stuff is easy.

Edited by avguytx

It seems your workgroup names are the network# you mentioned.  Those name can be anything you want them to be, but must be the same for your machines to see each other.  Just change the workgroup name as I indicated above and reboot the machines.  They should then be able to see each other unless you have some sophisticated firewall.  

Once done, you should be able to open File Explorer and see all the machines on the left hand pane under "network".

If not, then go to microsoft support and review the article on how to set up file sharing.

Here's what I've discovered in this dilemma.

First: I haven't (as far as I know) joined any of the computers to a Homegroup (although apparently two Homegroups have been created in the past)

Second: The two newest PC (installed a week or so ago) have not joined a Workgroup. The other are on the same default Workgroup named Workgroup.

The oldest PC (now for ModelRailroad) is in the same Workgroup (Artto) as the new PC installed last August. On this PC --> Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Homegroup says Art on MyWife-HP has created a Homegroup on your Home network. Button choices Join or Close.

The first new PC installed back in August, Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Homegroup says MyWife on MyWife has created a Homegroup on your Home network. Button choices Join or Close. The PC this Homegroup was apparently created on died and is no longer in service. I don't understand why it's still showing up.

On the two newest PC --> Control Panel --> Network and Internet --> Homegroup simply says "You've been invited to join a Homegroup" (no Homegroup names shown).

So, the dilemma is, How do I delete or rename or whatever these old Homegroups so I can start a new one and get these PC properly networked? The only choices are Join or Close. Or does having all four PC in the same Workgroup all I need to do (as in forget Homegroup). I just want to be able to access (copy & paste, delete, rename, etc) Files & Folders from any PC to any other PC. I am the Administrator on all PC.

Also, I'm not sure if the priority (if any) bewteen Homegroup verses Workgroup as far as setting them up is important. I would think Workgroup has higher priority but from what I've read Workgroup sounds like it's something for connecting your Home PC to a network at work (not something I need or want to do).

EDIT: Please keep in mind that all four PC are Win10. One was originally Win7 and upgraded.

Edited by artto

artto,

Open up the libraries/file explorer and right click on <This PC>, go  to properties. There you should see the screen like the one I have attached. Part way down is a section for computer name, domain and workgroup settings. You can change the settings, and change the workgroup name on each computer so they match. Without a server setup you won't have a domain.

Bruce

post-5045-0-64820000-1457731614_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Thanks Bruce. Actually, I know how to do that, but thanks anyway.

My concern at this stage is Homegroup. I don't see anyway to delete or rename the existing ones, especially since one of them was created on and points to a PC which no longer exists. If it's not there, how can I possibly Join the Homegroup associated with it? And none of the computers are showing me the option to create a new Homegroup ~ only to Join.

I just want to be sure I get the Homegroup set up the way it should be first. Changing the Workgroup afterwards is the easy part. As best I can tell, there's a lot of complaints about this with Win 10. It seems Microsoft is trying to protect us from ourselves.

OTOH, if Homegroup is not required, then I guess I need some confirmation of this from one of you guys who knows more about than I do. Microsoft seems to make me think Homegroup is important. I kind of jumped from XP to Win 10 (only one Win 7 before that). So now this Homegroup thing is new to me, and it seems to be interfering with the ability of all my PC to share anything/everything.

Edited by artto

See if the info here will help...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/networking-home-computers-running-different-windows#networking-home-computers-running-different-windows=windows-7&section_2

I think you need to make sure they are all on the 'home' network (not work or public)

I've been doing IT for 20 years now and this is a new wrinkle to me.

I have run into similar issues with the Homegroup.  I once set that up and never used it on my HTPC machine and now it shows up on all my machines, although I have not 'joined' that homegroup.  I have not figured out how to get rid of the old homegroup.

However, all my machines are networked by being on the same 'workgroup'.  You will also need to set the file and printer sharing permissions correctly for your 'private' network, which is how my workgroup is described in my machines.  You will find setting for file and printer sharing for public, private and all networks in the advanced file sharing settings.

I suspect that your system will work if you make all machine you wish to network to the same workgroup and set the file and printer sharing correctly.  You will likely need to reboot once you make the changes.

Here's something I found.

http://windowsreport.com/homegroup-windows-10/

I haven't applied any of this except for the first new PC installed in August. I tried Solution 3. I was surprised at the response I got from Win 10. It basically ran me through a permissions sequence which at first appeared as if it was simply disallowing me to access the Folders and Files in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Cryto\RSA\MachineKeys. But if you watch closely as you click "Continue" you'll notice that the next Folder or File is listed as the next Window pops up. Since most of the Files look kind of like code, it's not obvious that anything has changed ~ looks like the same Window just repeated itself but that's not the case. Clicking on Continue actually brings up the next Folder/File. I continued clicking on Continue until I got through all the Folders/Files in the MachineKeys Folder and then was able to access Properties in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Cryto\RSA\MachineKeys where I was presented with a "Permissions for MachineKeys" Window. Under the Security  Tab there is a list of "Group or user names" to select from. Under that it says "To change permissions, click Edit" which brings up the "Permissions for MachineKeys" Window  where you can select "Full control". Apparently this has to be done even if you are the Administrator. I have not seen this before and there's very little, if any, MS documentation on this, at least none that I've been able to find. Keep in mind that I've already set Folder, File, Drive, etc. Sharing for "everyone" on all PC's but still don't have full access to/from all of them. Maybe this will solve that problem.

This what I meant by Microsoft Win 10 attempting to protect us from ourselves. There appears to be another, deeper level of settings to give Full Control/Full Access permissions across the board, even to the Administrator.

BTW, C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Cryto\RSA\MachineKeys was not visible using Windows File Explorer. I had to copy/paste or type the whole path in the Search Bar to access it.post-8736-0-73460000-1457795520_thumb.jp

Edited by artto