McIntosh monoblocks for Belles?

luddite

I was more concerned with somehow unleashing a torrent of unnecessary wattage from the Macs and either nukeing the speakers or blacking out the neighborhood ala Chevy Chase with his christmas lights in the National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation movie.  Right now the amps are used tamely in 2 channel systems, one with Heresy's and the other with a combo of ESS and OHM Walsh speakers (on separate outputs).  I really wondered if monoblocking the amps would somehow provide a synergy to the Belles' sound that would result in a something a single amp could not produce.  

Hopefully, whatever Belles you use don't have that AB cross over. I think that is the only cross over that can get everyone on the forum to agree on: replace it, don't even attempt to recap it. I am not sure how much you will gain with the dual mono with regard to separation etc. as I have never tried it. I do know that those two amps bridged mono and used to drive a pair of Belles is more than the speakers or your eardrums can handle. But it is always better to have too many watts than too few. Individually, they have more watts than needed. Those amps would barely break a sweat driving a pair of Belles. I have one pair hooked up to an 80 watt NAD integrated and another pair hooked to a 100 watt Carver. Neither amp is ever driven hard even at high volume levels. These amps would be put to better use driving one pair EACH. Send me one and I will use it for you until you get two pair.

Extra power is never a bad thing.

I used a McIntosh 7270 (270 wpc) to drive my Chorus II's for a long time... Sounded great and I never had any worries when I turned it UP.

I blew out a passive out of my old set of Chorus II's with my Adcom GFA 5500.

Another lesson learned. :blush:

Luckily it was just a seam and easily fixed without too much trouble.

Edited by jason str

Not sure why folks would say this is dangerous. The macs are designed to run either way provided you set them up correctly . Check the owners manual because you may need to be jumping the speaker connectors as well as switching the switch. I know that was the case running my mc225s as monoblocks. Yes they sounded great in that configuration. Personally with ss amplification I don't think that the increased power is overkill. Jmho!