Satisfied Decware owners here? 2 watts with KHorns?

richieb

I have to imagine there are some satisfied Decware owners on board, in particular 2 watt Zen triodes and now with the new Ultra Fidelity tranfos. I am on the audio sale sites Far more often then I will admit and for the many number of years produced and units sold very few Decware models 2come on for sale. This alone tells me the vast majority keep them and are satisfied. I'm really on the fence giving one a try after many years of shying away mostly because the 2 watt output. I know there are many other Decware models with more power but according to Decware the simple Zen may well be its highest performing, $ for $. I do have a 5 watt KT66/88 single ended that is way plenty for my KHorns. So should I worry about three less watts? I once used a 2 watt Sun Audio 2a3 on Belles and thought the sound was very anemic, little body, no meat, clarity yes but very thin. On the other hand I had a Vaughn audio EL84 single ended at about 2 watts that sounded like 20. I suppose circuit design/transformers can make or break the perceived output.

Synergy between the amp and speakers is the key ingredient when dealing with low power tube amps.  I would not let your negative experience with the Sun Audio amp influence your decision about trying the Zen triode.  At risk of offending TS Matt, keep in mind that Deckert does offer a return option after a 30 day in-home trial.  Another alternative, if you're handy and have some electronics experience, is to build your own amp.  I have powered K-horns and LSs to louder than required levels with as little as 1/3 wpc!  And the amps were not even close to putting out full power.  If your room isn't overly large, and your listening level isn't extreme, power should not be much of an issue.  For more thoughts on running flea-power with LSs (which, as you know, are roughly as efficient as the K-horns), get hold of William ("wdecho") who has gotten fabulous result with around 1 wpc.

Maynard

Go for it!!!

And please give us a full report. I've been wanting to press the Buy button for a Decware amp. For me, my La Scalas are in the garage so having tube amps survive that environment has made me hesitate.

Best of luck. Hard to go wrong with the in home demo option.

Mark

At risk of offending TS Matt, keep in mind that Deckert does offer a return option after a 30 day in-home trial

No offense taken......Richieb has a genuine interest in purchasing the Super Zen Triode. I'm certain that it is a fine amplifier and will sound great on his Belles. :)

TS Matt.