Need help with my setup asap! :)

RexArmand

Hi

I have the following setup now:

I have the RF 7II for front, connected to 2 Crown amps, 1600W each. They sound FANTASTIC!

KL-650 for center and rear which I am not happy with at all. 

RS 62 surround which is great for movies and music.

4x KL 7800 as Atmos speakers. Gets the job done nicely.

Subs are 2x KW-120 with the KA-1000 amp.

Onkyo 1030 surround reciever.

My thoughts:

The room is just over 100m2 (1100 sq ft) and I think the KL-650 and KW-120 is not powerfull enough for such a big room. I had the RC 64 II as a center speaker and was extremely happy with it, but then the house burnt down and the guys at the shop recommended the KL-650 instead when they helped me with planning the new movie/party room. They helped me with speaker placement etc, so I think the placements is as good as it gets in a room that big.

I am considering changing the KL-650 with a RC-64 II, and the KW-120`s with 4x R-115SW just to get more fullness and loudness in the sound, and hope the subs can follow the RF 7`s better.

Is this a crazy thing to do? Or is it worth a shot?

Thank you for input :)

Now I understand why you don't like the KL650 . I would run far away from the guys at the shop if they recommended the KL650 to go between RF7II's 

I believe that identical front 3 speakers is the way to go although not always practical . So yes the RC64II would be a better fit in your Scenario.   I am not sure about the subs, I have the KW-120's and really like them but I have not actually heard the R-115SW. One thing for sure is the KL650 has no business between RF-7II's.

Where are you located ? I have the whole THX Ultra2 System that you could listen to.I also have some other systems you might want to hear :D  

P.S.  

I'm not thinking you should switch to the THX sysytem , rather you could at least get an idea of how nice they are for movies when matched properly.

• Like 1

I have the RF 7II for front...

I had the RC 64 II as a center...

the guys at the shop recommended the KL-650 instead

Big dummy heads right there. It's a nice speaker but it doesn't sound the same as an RF-7ii. The center needs to match the mains.

I am considering changing the KL-650 with a RC-64 II

What is your display, TV or screen? Can you get a third RF-7ii in there?

and the KW-120`s with 4x R-115SW just to get more fullness and loudness in the sound, and hope the subs can follow the RF 7`s better.

Since you already have two of the THX subs, I'd be tempted to double down and get two more, put one in each corner or wall midpoint. Those are good subs. You're probably going to take a good sized hit if you sell those and start over.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Yeah I'd double down on subs. And as far as a center get a third rf-7ii. The kl-650 is a great center. Fantastic for movies. I would imagine it's capable of the same spl a 64ii is so not sure what your issue with it is? I much preferred it to a first gen 64. And I've heard the 64ii and didn't think it sounded any different. Voices sound much better on the kl-650. If you need more spl then rf-7ii is the key. Or go big and get you some cinema speakers. Kpt-325 would be nice

• Like 1

Thank you guys. Appreciate it :)

I have a 136" (or 134") canvas with a projector. I`m located in Norway, so ìt`ll be a long hike for listening on the THX setup. But they had a showroom in the store with it, it sounded nice there on a movie but they couldnt crank it up because of other stores in the same area.

I had the same subs in a 20m2, 250ft2 room earlier and they were superb. It was one of the best woofers I`ve ever heard. But in this room I just think there is too much air for them to have any fullness, and they just seem dull and weak.

I thought about doubling up the subs, but they are quite on the costly side. I`m thinking that I`ll get more bang for the buck on the 115`s. And all around the web, people are really praising them.

Haven`t thought about getting a third RF7II, will it be wrong to have that on the Onkyo 1030, and the other fronts on the powerfull Crown amps?

What are you guys powering your RF7`s with? :)

In thinking about changing the rear kl-650 with one more pair of RS-62, I think it sounds fuller and rounder then the 650`s. Thoughts on that?

Edited by RexArmand

Now I understand why you don't like the KL650 . I would run far away from the guys at the shop if they recommended the KL650 to go between RF7II's 

I believe that identical front 3 speakers is the way to go although not always practical . So yes the RC64II would be a better fit in your Scenario.   I am not sure about the subs, I have the KW-120's and really like them but I have not actually heard the R-115SW. One thing for sure is the KL650 has no business between RF-7II's.

Where are you located ? I have the whole THX Ultra2 System that you could listen to.I also have some other systems you might want to hear :D  

P.S.  

I'm not thinking you should switch to the THX sysytem , rather you could at least get an idea of how nice they are for movies when matched properly.

I have the RF 7II for front...

I had the RC 64 II as a center...

the guys at the shop recommended the KL-650 instead

Big dummy heads right there. It's a nice speaker but it doesn't sound the same as an RF-7ii. The center needs to match the mains.

I am considering changing the KL-650 with a RC-64 II

What is your display, TV or screen? Can you get a third RF-7ii in there?

and the KW-120`s with 4x R-115SW just to get more fullness and loudness in the sound, and hope the subs can follow the RF 7`s better.

Since you already have two of the THX subs, I'd be tempted to double down and get two more, put one in each corner or wall midpoint. Those are good subs. You're probably going to take a good sized hit if you sell those and start over.

Thank you guys. Appreciate it :)

I have a 136" (or 134") canvas with a projector. I`m located in Norway, so ìt`ll be a long hike for listening on the THX setup. But they had a showroom in the store with it, it sounded nice there on a movie but they couldnt crank it up because of other stores in the same area.

I had the same subs in a 20m2, 250ft2 room earlier and they were superb. It was one of the best woofers I`ve ever heard. But in this room I just think there is too much air for them to have any fullness, and they just seem dull and weak.

I thought about doubling up the subs, but they are quite on the costly side. I`m thinking that I`ll get more bang for the buck on the 115`s. And all around the web, people are really praising them.

Haven`t thought about getting a third RF7II, will it be wrong to have that on the Onkyo 1030, and the other fronts on the powerfull Crown amps?

What are you guys powering your RF7`s with? :)

In thinking about changing the rear kl-650 with one more pair of RS-62, I think it sounds fuller and rounder then the 650`s. Thoughts on that?

Get an RC 64 II if the a third RF 7 is not workable.  That room need 4 subs at least.  Get two vented 18 in. subs.  They don't have to match the other two subs.  Check out DIY sub and build two or have someone do it for you.  It will be the cost of one of the Klipsch sub and out perform it.

• Like 1

In regards to your desire for new subs and that you are in Norway, it reminded me of another thread from a speaker builder which I tried to find from your country.  Couldn't find him.  I did find someone from Sweden though.  Take a look at his work and get some ideas for DIY sub builds and fill your space with all the bass you need.  http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1530632-boundled-thread-subwoofer-builds-me-my-friend-europe-sweden.html

• Like 1

Ill see if I can make room for one more RF7. It wont be a problem for it to be laying down? Or that the RF7II wont be driven by the Crown`s?

That guy from sweden had SKILLS! That is some of the most impressive builds thar I have ever seen. I would love to make some, in time but I have 3 cars to fix up first. I wont have time for any new projects for some time.

And I font have aaaaany clue to what is good an not when it comes to drivers etc ;)

Thnx

Ill see if I can make room for one more RF7. It wont be a problem for it to be laying down? Or that the RF7II wont be driven by the Crown`s?

That guy from sweden had SKILLS! That is some of the most impressive builds thar I have ever seen. I would love to make some, in time but I have 3 cars to fix up first. I wont have time for any new projects for some time.

And I font have aaaaany clue to what is good an not when it comes to drivers etc ;)

Thnx

I hear that. The drivers are easy, though. Plenty here can give you the hot sub drivers for builds.   I would email the guy and see if he might build you one or two.  It still might be cheaper than store bought.  Or ask him if he has any hand me downs. 

That guy from sweden had SKILLS! That is some of the most impressive builds thar I have ever seen. I would love to make some, in time but I have 3 cars to fix up first. I wont have time for any new projects for some time.

Thnx

the rf-7ii needs to be vertical. Laying it sideways will compromise sound big time. Might as well get the 64ii if you can not have it vertical

That guy from sweden had SKILLS! That is some of the most impressive builds thar I have ever seen. I would love to make some, in time but I have 3 cars to fix up first. I wont have time for any new projects for some time.

Thnx

the rf-7ii needs to be vertical. Laying it sideways will compromise sound big time. Might as well get the 64ii if you can not have it vertical

Ok, thank you. I`ll go for the 64II then :) Ill mount it on top of the 4x115 subs, will proborbly look awesome ;)

Thank you all guys! Appreciate the help! Nice of you to help out a sound noob ;)

Ok, thank you. I`ll go for the 64II then :) Ill mount it on top of the 4x115 subs, will proborbly look awesome ;)

Will probably end up in the floor. :) Make sure you use those little rubber feet.

Ill put it on some sort of thin rubber matt or something. Thanks for the warning, Ill pay attention to it in the first days