RP160 or RP250 as Frontspeakers for my little Room?

Katze

Hello!

I'm new to your Community (sorry for my bad english, i'm from Austria  ;)  ) and i hope someone could help me a little bit.

I want to get a new 5.1 System for my little Room (14m²). The Speakers I'm looking for are the RP160 or the RP250 as Frontspeakers, the RP-440C as Center and the R-14 as Rearspeakers. Subwoofer should be one of these: R10SW or R110SW or R112SW.

What do you guys think is the best solution for my Room?

I'm afraid if the RP250 could be to big for my room and the Bass will be to heavy and imprecisely with a 10" or 12" Subwoofer?! :unsure:

I've attached a little Picture what my room will soon look a like and the Frontspeakers are 50cm from the Wall. It would be better if the Speakers could be about 30cm from the wall so there are no problems with open the door

greetings and THX!

post-62669-0-34300000-1458940428_thumb.p

Edited by Katze

Hi!

Thank you for your replies! :)

If i choose the 250 Towers, could they play imprecisely or something because of my little room? (14 m² = 21700.0434 in²)

I use the Speakers the 90 % of the time for watching TV/Movies and Play Video Games (PS4, Xbox One,...)

greetings

I use both types.

Based on the reviews of the RP-160M, and the general feedback on the latest subs, I'd recommend the RP-160M with an R-115SW. The surrounds...I'd probably go with the RP-240S (or whatever they are). Do not mix Reference and Reference Premier gear. "New" Reference speakers are not made to the same standards as the old Reference II or Reference Premier speakers.

I would advise perhaps looking at doing a phantom center as well if it is a small room. Drop the money in a bigger and badder sub (hence the R-115SW recommendation).

• Like 1

Do not mix Reference and Reference Premier gear. "New" Reference speakers are not made to the same standards as the old Reference II or Reference Premier speakers.

Do you mean they have a "bad quality" or that they won't match with the RP-160 or the 250?

When i buy the RP-160 i will also buy the R-112SW. And if i buy the 250 i would go with the RW-110SW. What are you guys think of that idea?

I think the R-115SW is to expensive for me... :unsure:

greetings and thank you all for your friendly help!!! :D

Another option is to buy the RP-160 and the R-112SW sub (i own this sub, it is pretty big but sounds good). You could run these in 2.1 stereo for a few months and see how you like the sound. You may find you want to save and go with a bigger center channel and tower speakers and move the RP-160 to surround duty. Otherwise the RP-240s Would match better with your RP-160.

Do not mix Reference and Reference Premier gear. "New" Reference speakers are not made to the same standards as the old Reference II or Reference Premier speakers.

Do you mean they have a "bad quality" or that they won't match with the RP-160 or the 250?

When i buy the RP-160 i will also buy the R-112SW. And if i buy the 250 i would go with the RW-110SW. What are you guys think of that idea?

I wouldn't say they're "bad quality" - they're just not going to provide you with as good of quality as the RP line. They're a mass produced big-box store speaker, and that shows in the quality, and will not do well in a system together. Your R line will not be able to even partially be able to keep up with whatever RP speakers you have.

As previously said, I'd really try for the 15 and omit the center for the time being. I think you will be more pleased with the results.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

If you are using a subwoofer, do not purchase the RP-250f. The RP-160m is better for midrange and treble sound and the subwoofer will take care of the bass.

None of the Klipsch RP speakers or subwoofers will play "imprecisely" unless the room is too large.

Buy the largest subwoofer that you can afford and the largest that you can fit in your room or you will regret it later.

A distance of 12in/30cm from the rear wall will be good enough for the RP-160m.

• Like 1

First, i want to say thank you for all your helpful replies! :D

12inches is perfect, thank you!

Maybe you'll find this question a little bit stupid, but are the RP-160 with the R-112SW Powerful enough to listen/play "loud"?

When i play Battlefield 4 or something on my PS4, I really love it when i'm in the middle of the battlefield and when a rocket explode behind me there must be a big fat "BOOM", if you know what i mean B)

Would the RP-250 with the R-112SW more powerful than the RP-160?!

By the way, I'm using a Denon AVR-X2200 for the Klipsch Speakers...

Thank you all for your patience with me! ;)

Here's what you need to learn - and I'm saying this as a forum young'un that had to learn this in experience rather than listening to people who know better...

Every speaker has a purpose, and sometimes compromising quantity for quality is best.

The RP-160M is a superior speaker that has a small footprint, superb bass response, and amazing imaging and sound reproduction. You are best off getting this speaker now because it will provide you with a more balanced image than the 250s are likely to do. As for the size of the subwoofer - bigger is better. We are telling you to do the 15 instead because it will seriously work better with the speaker we are suggesting. If you ever have the option between 10, 12, and 15, the 15 should always be your option. Unless you're planning on buying two, I wouldn't even consider the 10, and I feel the 12 will leave you wanting for more.

If you want a "boom" in the rear, you need to add something to give you "boom" in the rear. This would require a second sub or a speaker that digs low and deep enough to produce that boom. You will still get LFE response, and LFE is non-directional, but if you're expecting the sub to throw the bass in such a way that it feels like it's coming directly from behind you, it's not going to do that.

All speakers will play loud, it's just at what level they begin to distort. It depends on your amplifier and your speakers. What kind of AVR are you going to use? Klipsch speakers are very efficient and require very little power to produce high levels of volume.

• Like 1

If you want a "boom" in the rear, you need to add something to give you "boom" in the rear. This would require a second sub or a speaker that digs low and deep enough to produce that boom. You will still get LFE response, and LFE is non-directional, but if you're expecting the sub to throw the bass in such a way that it feels like it's coming directly from behind you, it's not going to do that.

What kind of AVR are you going to use? Klipsch speakers are very efficient and require very little power to produce high levels of volume.

With "boom" i meant not the rearspeakers or behind me, sorry for the bad explanation.

I mean that the system should be powerful enough that you have a "wow" feeling, when a grenade explodes in a movie/game. (Like: omg that was powerful!)

My AVR is a Denon AVR-X2200.

Which distance should be between the Wall and the Subwoofer? Because I'm afraid that the RW-115S is a little bit to big for my room, when there must be 12 inches ore more between wall and subwoofer. :(

I have a KSW-15 and an RSW-10 in two of my rooms, both are corner snug. In a small room, the response should be just fine if it's less than 12" from the wall. I wouldn't worry about that if that's the concern.

The X2200 should be more than enough to effectively provide you with a decent amount of power to drive Klipsch speakers. I would look at either doing a good 4.1 system or 3.1 system if money is an issue. Omit 5 or 7 channels right now. Get something strong either across the front, or on your corner and then add onto it later. Otherwise you're going to be wanting and kicking yourself over not getting better quality.

(For the record, if you look at my profile, under my personal setup...that entire RF-3 configuration is in a room that is 12' x 13' - you'll be fine.)

Edited by IbizaFlame

Stands aren't exactly my forte. So I don't have an opinion to offer there...

I think with the 115 and the 160M, you should come out under your goal. Think that works out to somewhere near $2,200 - and it will certainly leave some breathing room. You'll have a nice solid 2.1 setup with perhaps a little left over to build towards that 3.1 mark.

Edited by IbizaFlame