Dust cover rattle

dtr20

I used epoxy before with good results but they do sell glue just for driver reconing and repairs that may be a better choice.

Rubber cement i hear works too but i never used it for speaker repair personally.

Edited by jason str

So upon further inspection, the dust cover in front is perfectly fine.  There is a screen(?) thing in between the magnet and voice coil that is loose and vibrating around like crazy.  I have attached a picture of a good woofer so you can know what I am talking about.  Is this needed or can I just rip it out and go back to enjoying my klf30s?  Thanks

post-59027-0-48300000-1460822794_thumb.j

So upon further inspection, the dust cover in front is perfectly fine.  There is a screen(?) thing in between the magnet and voice coil that is loose and vibrating around like crazy.  I have attached a picture of a good woofer so you can know what I am talking about.  Is this needed or can I just rip it out and go back to enjoying my klf30s?  Thanks

I had a rattle and there was actually some additional glue that they had bound the voice coil to the former with had broken off.  There was a glob under the cap.  Removed the cap and the chunk fell out.

You would not hear a screen rattling loudly.  If it's loud you need to remove the dust cap. Just get yourself an exacto knife and slowly work it between the dust cap and the cone (if you don't find a problem elsewhere).

You would not hear a screen rattling loudly. If it's loud you need to remove the dust cap. Just get yourself an exacto knife and slowly work it between the dust cap and the cone (if you don't find a problem elsewhere).

This thing is rigid, it is definitely the cause of the rattle. I'm guessing it is a dust cover from the magnet

The screen is to keep stuff out. It is a screen because air needs to pass to cool, and it would also affect the T/S parameters to cover it completely. If it is the spider to frame, you can repair that like this: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/157084-voice-coil-rubbing-how-to-repair/. It is possible the spider is the cause and the sound is transmitting through the vent hole. It is also possible the screen is loose. If you decide to glue the screen, make sure you don't block the air flow. If you decide to rip the screen out, pray it isn't attached to anything important in the former.