How to test in-ceiling speakers?

mattSER

How can I test the wiring on some Jamo in-ceiling speakers?

I have access to the wires coming out of the wall, but they're not labeled. There's red, green, white, and black.

I don't want to connect an amplifier and short something.

Do I just grab a multi meter and test pairs of the wires together??

Fwiw, I already tried connecting a cheap Insignia stereo receiver and it literally blew up when I powered it on. I'm guessing the receiver was just faulty, but I don't want it to happen again!

If you can see the woofer itself, you can touch a 9 volt battery to the pairs. Touch one wire to positive and one wire to negative. If the woofer sticks out, you have it wired correctly, if the woofer sucks in, it's backwards.

Edited by dtr20

Yeah, I was hoping to figure it out from the wire ends, because the ceiling is like 16ft high.

What would the danger really be of connecting it to an amp incorrectly? Is it possible that I really blew that amp with incorrect wiring? Or do you think it was just a bad amp?

Like, what would happen if I connected the + wires from both speakers the to + and - of the left speaker terminals on the amp?

If there are 2 ceiling speakers and only 1 @ 4 conductor wire, the red/black are typically for the right speaker (+/-, respectively) and the white/green is for the left speaker (+/-, respectively). If there are 2 @ 4 conductor wires, you probably have dual voice coil speakers.

• Like 1