Best 15" Subwoofer

Fracchia23

Seems fishy to me, is there 40db of EQ boost?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If you actually read the link provided you would not have to make assumptions.

I was just being a little snarky, I will read it all someday. In the meantime someone bring one to indy for some calibrated measurements.

• Like 1

I was just being a little snarky, I will read it all someday. In the meantime someone bring one to indy for some calibrated measurements.

Measurements have already been done, every room will measure different as there are too many variables to take into consideration.

Measurements have already been done, every room will measure different as there are too many variables to take into consideration.

Which is exactly why one would use a ground plane to get a true response without room gain.

Ground plane chart is useless if you plan to use it indoors.

Your room will dictate your frequency response.

Okay, there is a lot wrong with that first statement. No disagreement with the second.

Ground plane chart is useless if you plan to use it indoors.

Your room will dictate your frequency response.

Okay, there is a lot wrong with that first statement. No disagreement with the second.

I'm listening, feel free to explain yourself if you don't agree.

As you have already stated the room will dominate, especially at low frequency. If an individual had one room to dedicate to designing a subwoofer, then that is the room it will work in the best. You can't equalize a subwoofer for one room, and expect the same results from other rooms. Not only is there the frequency response isssues, you must pay attention to how it actually sounds. That will change depending on each room as well. We use multiple rooms to listen in and a non biased party to measure against (ground plane). I could not fathom only listening and designing for one room, there are too many things to go wrong.

As you have already stated the room will dominate, especially at low frequency. If an individual had one room to dedicate to designing a subwoofer, then that is the room it will work in the best. You can't equalize a subwoofer for one room, and expect the same results from other rooms. Not only is there the frequency response isssues, you must pay attention to how it actually sounds. That will change depending on each room as well. We use multiple rooms to listen in and a non biased party to measure against (ground plane). I could not fathom only listening and designing for one room, there are too many things to go wrong.

I agree but your ground plane measurement point is still moot when every room is different.

For this to be a subwoofer forum, there are far to few members posting measurements. modeling graphs, ect..  There is a lot of talk and referring to database.com or other source is OK but, forum members room measurements would go a long way in helping others see what is going on in certain size rooms, basement vs upstairs, ect. Ground plane measurements are of some value with horn subs.  The Gjallarhorn and some Danley subs have been measured at database.com and still kick but.

The subwoofer forum should be picked up a notch by our members.  We talk a lot about builds but, leave other educational things wanting that would be of help to new comers and people looking for solid info on designing their bass system for HT or music.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 3

For this to be a subwoofer forum, there are far to few members posting measurements. modeling graphs, ect..  There is a lot of talk and referring to database.com or other source is OK but, forum members room measurements would go a long way in helping others see what is going on in certain size rooms, basement vs upstairs, ect.

The subwoofer forum should be picked up a notch by our members.  We talk a lot about builds but, leave other educational things wanting that would be of help to new comers and people looking for solid info on designing their bass system for HT or music.

Now that is "completely different". wink wink nudge nudge

• Like 1

If we post graphs ect and better comparison data, it would be easier to learn. If people want to say design X is better than design Y, show why.  Also show the short comings of a particular designs such as the group delay, impulse response, ect with something educational to back it up.  This would help all of us.  I actually like the learning aspects that can occur on this type of forum.  After all, getting the bass right in and system and designing a good bass system is the hardest thing for a HT or music system.  The other speakers are a breeze compared to the subwoofer thing, lol. :) 

For this to be a subwoofer forum, there are far to few members posting measurements. modeling graphs, ect..  There is a lot of talk and referring to database.com or other source is OK but, forum members room measurements would go a long way in helping others see what is going on in certain size rooms, basement vs upstairs, ect. Ground plane measurements are of some value with horn subs.  The Gjallarhorn and some Danley subs have been measured at database.com and still kick but.

You can either talk shop, or you can help a newbie get a pretty nice sub for not too much money.  Rarely is both going to happen at the same time.  The mistake with threads like these is that we're giving lip service to doing both but in reality it's just a giant ego contest. :)  

• Like 1

Room or cabin gain, google or yahoo is your friend.

In regards to that horn guy's room gain, that's actually a pretty decent sized room, if you keep reading he says it is 19x23 with 9' ceilings on post 70.  At the single digit frequencies in question, that horn that's tuned to 22 hz is going to cease to function as a horn and drop off big time to the point where it's just a 15" sub in a sealed box.  Such a thing in a nearly 4,000 cubic foot room and playing low single digit frequencies is simply going to be less than impressive to say the least at the frequencies in question.  

Room or cabin gain, google or yahoo is your friend.

In regards to that horn guy's room gain, that's actually a pretty decent sized room, if you keep reading he says it is 19x23 with 9' ceilings on post 70.  At the single digit frequencies in question, that horn that's tuned to 22 hz is going to cease to function as a horn and drop off big time to the point where it's just a 15" sub in a sealed box.  Such a thing in a nearly 4,000 cubic foot room and playing low single digit frequencies is simply going to be less than impressive to say the least at the frequencies in question.  

Frequency response does not change with volume nor does room gain.

What you see is what you get.