Eico HF-81 Unbuilt kit on eBay

Parrot

The WECO 91 was a classic 300B amp that you can still find used every once in a million years. Dont hold your breath. C&S, and anyone else interested, here are TWO interesting sources with some talk of older triode history within the bigger picture.

The first article by Joe Roberts is a classic on 2A3 amplifiers. It is well-written, easy to understand, and an interesting read. I cant find it online any more so I uploaded it. See the link

I Never Met a 2A3 Amp That I Didnt Like

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/2A3_article.pdf

And here is review of Thorsten's Legacy 300B amp that has a little history as well, featuring the legendary WECO 91:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1199/legacy.htm

btw, in Joe Robert's article, he does talk of making amps with vintage transformers that were not air gapped.

kh

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I have posted that above link more than a few times and have, to this day, NEVER gotten a response from it. Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE here actually read that Joe Roberts article from beginning to end? It's an interesting read with a good overview on the ole 2A3 amp present and past. Hell, I cant even get the 2A3 guys to acknowledge its existence much less read the thing!

Yeah, perhaps I cant blame anyone; who wants to read yet another lousy .pdf file.

kh

Mobile,

I've not only read that one, but several other 2A3 articles you've posted links to including reviews of 2A3 tubes. If I had not been locked in trying to earn a few pennies and had time to login to the forum, I would have posted a reply to C&S. I also believe there are several reviews of the Moondogs and Wright products available on their websites if he had checked. If it's DIY 2A3, C&S can look here which is one of many that can be found posted on the internet.

DIY 2A3 project

If anyone is "seriously" interested in SET amps and or 2A3, I found a lot of information available with little effort prior to my purchase.

Klipsch out.