Deprecating The Gifts Of The Gods

Colin

If a superb flat line response from 18Hz to 22kHz with two 600-watt amps and six tall towers of gorgeous sound simply sounds like more of the big yellow bus; then what should I be listening and paying attention to? Because the tall electronic marvels, with their punchy mid-bass line drivers, deep-bass sub-woofers and massively "built like bombers" amplifiers did deliver the goods, and in spades, too. This was sky-high satellite technology brought down from Olympus. A gift from the G-ds. Poor plebian me though... I just did not get it.

My latest article:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0902/deprecating.htm

what do you think?

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

I guess I don't get it either. Good article.

I had trouble reading the white letters on the black background. Petty, I know, but I couldn't find anything else wrong.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

Colin - that's why I own Klipsch speakers. They are truly a working man's "holy grail" of audio. In all my years of listening, I've not found more sound for less. Sure, there's better speakers out there, but at what price?? When used prices are considered (especially in the Heritage line) it's no contest - no need for me to look at anything else.

The last issue I have with my system is the speakers. With exception to the desired upgrade of the center channel Academy to a Belle, I'm very satisfied with them.

I'm about to do something I hate: say that there is no direct correlation between cost and performance in the audio circle.

I hate that because whenever (WHENEVER) someone says that, they continue on to say that the bits and pieces that they like are perfect examples of this philosophy. The clincher is that their bits and pieces cost thousands!!

So, I'm not surprized. This stuff is geared to score reviews at the big magazines, and to score purchases from the 'Shaw of Iran' types with more money than sense.