Keeping it simple with networks

I have personally heard a single point driver horn speaker set up.  They were about six feet tall and the response went way below 65hz.  I would have bought them if I had the means and space, because they sounded fantastic.

Looks like they weren't cheap http://www.dagogo.com/maxxhorn-immersion-floorstanding-speaker-review

There is a sub-forum at diyAudio called Full Range I am looking at. I think something like these could be built. 

• Like 2

I have personally heard a single point driver horn speaker set up. They were about six feet tall and the response went way below 65hz. I would have bought them if I had the means and space, because they sounded fantastic.

Looks like they weren't cheap http://www.dagogo.com/maxxhorn-immersion-floorstanding-speaker-review.

There is a sub-forum at diyAudio called Full Range I am looking at. I think something like these could be built.

Frugal-horn.com is a smaller version. Maybe a good projectsomeday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On horns with large path lengths with significant differences in lengths, the best way to do that with active.  You need the time delay and efficiency matching afforded by the active crossover.  Even the K-horn can be much better executed with an active.  Passives to be able to do all the work required in the previous sentences would not be simple and would be power robbing.

That is of course not to say that there are pluses to not having any caps or inductors in the speaker / amplifier path.

Shorter horns, to non-horns, passives can be wonderful but typically need a lot of tweaking to get right.  I've done a ton and typically takes about 6months or more to get happy with them, not counting a drawer full of used capacitors and inductors.  Kind of a waste of money unless you consider this a hobby.

• Like 1

I have to say it was the talk of complexity that kept me from trying active crossovers for a long time (and cost as well). I picked up an older Ashly unit a couple of months ago for a decent price and had it up and running within an hour or two. It is not complex, nor is it very expensive relative to decent passive crossovers (Crites). The improvement in sound with big horns is not subtle either. I wish I had had the guts to do it sooner, I have spent a lot of coin on passives over the last several years.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 3

They were about six feet tall and the response went way below 65hz

Was it Nelson Pass's design?  If so I would love to hear those monsters.

I have personally heard a single point driver horn speaker set up. They were about six feet tall and the response went way below 65hz. I would have bought them if I had the means and space, because they sounded fantastic.

Looks like they weren't cheap http://www.dagogo.com/maxxhorn-immersion-floorstanding-speaker-review.

Frugal-horn.com is a smaller version. Maybe a good projectsomeday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Just because I thought they looked cool, if I had the room and the extra money at the time, I had the opportunity about two years ago to buy a nice pair of Hedlund back-loaded horn speakers with Lowther DX4 full-range drivers. I remember when the Hedlund design was really popular for the Lowther DX2, DX3 and DX4 full-range drivers but had not given it much serious thought when first introduced. 

However, as with anything audio, there seems to be trade-offs and compromises.  While we would not have the same time-alignment issues with the full-range driver set up such as the Lowther / Hedlund combination, I believe that the modulation distortion is much higher on the full-range driver set-up as compared to horn loaded loudspeakers such as the Khorn, Belle or La Scala.

The other aspect that is difficult with the full-range driver set up, is when you want to turn the knob up and listen at levels that approach concert level, Khorn and La Scala can handle the concert peaks, while the full range set up, not so much. 

Time align the Khorn, Belle or La Scala drivers within that quarter-wavelength measure at the crossover region, and you may just have the best of both worlds.

_ Hedlund horn speakers 01.jpg

_ Hedlund horn speakers 02.jpg

_ Hedlund horn speakers 03.jpg

_ Hedlund horn speakers 05.jpg

post-36163-0-28280000-1462510811_thumb.j

post-36163-0-19200000-1462510936_thumb.j

post-36163-0-73480000-1462510977_thumb.j

post-36163-0-93480000-1462511008_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1