Very 5 yr old question

Very basic 2 channel stereo question here - ---I have a very old school Yamaha R-8 receiver currently driving my speakers.

If I got a Crown 2 channel amp, can I use my existing as a "Pre", or do I need to buy a "Pre" ??      Thank you all,     Lars

NO!  You can't use a receiver as a pre-amp unless it has dedicated pre-amp OUT connectors.  It was hard to find pics, but if what I saw was your receiver, you can't just plug an amp into it.  You could ruin both receiver and amp.

If those older receivers had pre-outs they usually had a jumper of some kind you had to physically pull out.

Think this is the R-9.

Yamaha_R-3_Stereo-Receiver_parts-collage

I haven't been able to get a good look or a good pic, but this one also says R-9, but it has the pins I was referring to.  I still can't tell if those pins are for de-coupling the pre-amp and internal amp.

230677-big_yamaha_r9_natural_sound_recei

Edited by wvu80

No problem Michael, I'm not sure either.  The Yammie is an older model and I didn't want to download the manual to make sure.

It looks like DeanG trumped us both since the pro amp and the Yammie are basically incompatible if I understand correctly.

Edited by wvu80

All good in the hood, Dave! :)

Trying to follow this stuff.

There are jumpers in RCA plugs labeled "Accessory", a pair "send", and a pair "Receive".

As per the photo above.  Looks like the photo of what I have.   Lars

If it has jumpers, it's a pretty safe bet.

Acc. Send should be the same as Pre-L and Pre-R on modern receivers or "Amp Out L" and "Amp Out R."

Please refer to your owner's manual. Accessory jacks are normally for things like graphic equalizers - not amplifiers. Those jacks are labeled "pre-out".

Consumer and commercial gear does not play well together. This relates to gain structure.

• Like 1

Turn your amp around, snap a picture...post it.

I will tell you absolutely yes, or absolutely no.

It is the exact same as this image, but 4 speaker set binding posts, rather than 6 in photo.

Otherwise, pretty sure exactly the same.   Lars

230677-big_yamaha_r9_natural_sound_recei

Same Tape 1, Tape 2, Accessory(( "send", and "receive" )(W /jumpers as shown)  as photo.

Like the same otherwise, but missing the "frequency step" thing whatever that is.

I see, magnified, this is a photo of an R9, I guess a step up.    Lars