Anyone familiar with Schiit tube headphone amps as preamps?

Hi, friends!

Thanks to a shift in the global economy, upscale luxury items are trending their way downmarket. BMW's entry level models are cheaper. Nordstrom Rack exists. And Schiit makes tube preamps that cost as much as a pair of Ray Bans.

The majority of impressions I can read about their tube headphone amps (as well as almost anything else they make) are glowing. And although they all have pre-outs, almost nobody acknowledges them for this.

Of course, I'd like to try it out. I've heard plenty about the effectiveness of Klipsch speakers with tube sound, and lacking the financial will or patience to pursue a tube amp, pairing an affordable tube pre with my current amp seems like a fine compromise. 

Has anyone used or heard one of Schiit's tube amps as a preamp? Thanks!

(And while we're here, what are a few things a tube newb should know? How do you tell when they're due for replacement or being overdriven?)

Hi Chris, I never realized Schiit made tube products.  There are a lot of tube junkies here which spend a lot of time over at the all about tubes section of the forum.  You may want to ask the mods to move this over there, so you get more attention.  I say if the price is low enough, knowing Schiit makes a good product,  I would go for it. 

The big question is what you don't like about the sound of your current equipment and what you expect a tube preamp to do.  The amp itself exerts the greatest influence on the sound.  While adding a tube preamp may take some of the edge off (personally, I've always found Adcom equipment to sound very bright, especially with Klipsch speakers), it may not make all that much difference in the overall sound.  If you decide to try one, I'd go for the Valhalla 2.  The company makes a very definite point about trying it out for 15 days and, if you don't like it, you can return it for only a 5% loss.  Seems like a very good inducement to me.  Where in NJ are you located?

Maynard

Maynard,

I suppose I'm more curious than anything. My Adcom preamp doesn't sound bad or displeasurable to me in any way. I see what you mean about brightness as well, though I'll say it's been a non-issue since moving from Synergy to Reference Premiere. Things could be less bright, but it's never gratingly so.

I've been a bit convinced of the effect of a preamp's sound since trying out an Adcom surround processor, as a matter of fact. It wasn't bad in any way that someone could complain about, but it was brighter and more digital-sounding. It's being traded off soon for a 7ch amp, and I've been back to my stereo pre.

I suppose I'm most interested in the allure of tube sound. They say tubes are typically warmer, which I expect should balance well with the treble-forwardness I've been hearing. My expectation is that a tube preamp would, in theory, be a good compromise between cost and getting a bit of that mysterious "tube sound."

Edited by chriswhotakesphotos