Need help soundproofing bed room!

Flyin

Hello Dere!

Nice mouth Bubba!

In any event what chickey said is actually right on the money. It is unlikely that there is any practical way to prevent sound getting into that room or to significantly reduce it. Much of the noise you are hearing would be transferred into the room via the floor and the walls so that there is little that you could do about it.

If you are interested in being a member here buy some mouthwash and start over.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

Flyin -- nice attitude, pal. I was in the process of filling in my original post with some additional details, but my little one had a meltdown midway through and I had to bail out.

In any event, lynnm read my mind. Short of hanging 12th century tapestries on every wall, there is little you can do, unless you intend to pull the walls down and add professional soundproofing material between the studs.

Perhaps you can approach your neighbor and ask them to tone it down after a certain point in the evening or early in the morning. Short of that, my original recommendation stands, despite your caustic response. Earplugs were standard issue in my old dorm...

C

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 09-02-2002 at 07:35 AM

There are the sound proofing panels, theywould really need to be put on his side of the wall though. to really insulate the sound you would need to apply things to his walls, like egg crate, drapes along the wall, carpet on the wall, the sound panels, etc.

don't get an attitude, that will never make someone want to help you more.

if you don't like earplugs, get some good sound isolating headphones. while your at it, get a better attitude Wink.gif (noticed that i winked...)

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Flyin,

Let me join in with objections to your language. We have a nice polite site here. Chickey's response was a bit flip, but did not deserve your vulgarities in response.

I'm happy to pass along some technical suggestions.

There are two major paths for sound tranmission between rooms.

One is that the walls or floors transmit the sound. It is almost as if they are the diphragms of the microphones (in their rooms) and speakers (in your room). Generally you'll find that low frequencies are transmitted through these. The mass of the walls prevent high frequency sounds from being transmitted. This is why you hear low frequency sounds from other rooms. Throbing bass, people walking around upstairs. Muted talking. Probably, this is not a big part of your problem.

The second path is simply holes in the path. Remember that most sound is air pressure being transmitted.

I'd think that you should look at the door to your bedroom and recognize that any air hole is a transmission media. Use of weather stripping on the edges of the door should help. It is more difficult to devise a seal at the threshold. But I leave that up to your creativity.

I must disagree with my friends here that putting rugs on the walls will help with transmission from beyond the walls of your rooms. They prevent internal echos. Which is a good thing, but not your problem.

They can't prevent the walls from moving and they can't prevent transmission through holes in the door, windows, etc.

Gil

Here's a thought. Deal with it.

My roommate in college used to listen to his stereo inside our room at all hours of the day and night (we didnt get along too well). Just learn to tune it out, over time you'll be sleeping through those false fire alarms!

If the neighbors are still being loud, bombard their rooms with water baloons at around 3 in the morning. Often times a good swift kick right next to the latch on those sturdy old dorm doors will open them right up as long as there's no deadbolt... but you didnt hear that from me.

------------------

Denon 1601

Sony VCR, DVD, CD Changer (all from Best Buy... that means its the 'Best')

Philips CD Burner

Panasonic 32" TV

KSB 3.1

KSC-C1

KSF-S5

KSW-12

quote:

Originally posted by William F. Gil McDermott:

They can't prevent the walls from moving and they can't prevent transmission through holes in the door, windows, etc.

Gil

No, not really unless they are on the side of the music, where they will help absorb the sound waves like a diffusor. At least, it worked for us in one room of our old house, we put carpet on the walls.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

How about this:

University of Reno is 20 minuites from my big, cozy house. I don't need to worry about rent, cleaning, theft, bills, laundary, etc.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I appologize for my use of words. Being a primary factor of good health, I don't take my sleep lightly. Knowing that this was an above average community is what brought me here. I had a sincere problem, and while I love witty humor and laughtor, I didn't appreciate the cheap shot. Ofcourse Chicky can argue that he was being sincere in his reply. But as some of you have revealed, it's simply not the case.

Thank you for the rest of your posts. I will definitely pursue the weather stripping option and go from there.

Flyin wrote:

quote:

Of course Chicky can argue that he was being sincere in his reply. But as some of you have revealed, it's simply not the case.

Oh please, spare me. You edit your original post to remove the vulgarities, and then cry victim. Give me a break. My original post can be deemed flip for my hasty response, and at worst qualifies as a bad joke. But it was most certainly sincere, as was my follow-up. In no case did it warrant your original tasteless response.

Let's agree as gentlemen to move on to more constructive dialog.

Colin

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by chickey on 09-04-2002 at 09:26 PM