Ripped 15" passive radiator (Chorus II)

Xathrus

Hi,

I am new to the Klipsch community and this is my first post,

I just purchased a pair of chorus II's with a ripped passive 15" (KD-16) thinking it would not be a big deal getting a replacement, or a re-cone kit at least. But when I jumped on line to look for them I started seeing that what I was looking for was no longer an easy item to find and people were saying things like "rare as gold". I have not stopped looking for one, but I am not holding my breath.

That being the case I have been starting to think about other options both short and long term. Even if I can find something I can use as a replacement for the re-cone this may not be the last time I have an issue with one. So, if anyone knows of something else I can use ( could parts from a re-cone kit for an active 15" woofer work)? I have also found some interesting posts on making a blank to replace the passive radiator and adding port tubes. I was considering something like that as a last resort but I am not kidding myself into thinking I have the math or speaker design skills to tackle that job correctly.

The tear I have is about 2 1/2 inches long. A coffee filter and glue (some people use plain Elmers paper glue, I use the stuff from Parts Express) If I can do it, anyone can. Pics will be up in about an hour later, a deal just showed up. In the car

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996

I could see doing the repair thing really short term but I don't see that as being the way I go long term.

I would love to do a re-cone but I can't find a kit for the KD-16. I have found some kits for other 15" but I don't know if they would work.

For example: could I buy a kit for a K-48 15" woofer and use those parts to re-cone the KD-16 basket and just not use the parts that make it an actual speaker? If so I show I need a K-48-E, the Kit I found was for a K-48-K as I understand it that is only a change in manufacturer. Will that matter?

Edited by Haig Janjigian

If you're lazy, you could have folks like Simply Speakers re-cone them.  They're in Florida.  Another reputable re-coner would be Midwest Speaker Repair in Minneapolis.  Depending on where you're at, you may have a local place that will do it for you.  There are several in Denver for example, although none quite as reputable as Simply Speakers and Midwest, both of who I've dealt with in the past.  They're solid.  Get some of those 15" perfed metal speaker covers while you're at it, those shops sell those too.

• Like 1

Simply speakers was the place I found the re-cone kit for the K-48-K. I will call them tomorrow. I will take a kit or ship it out as long as I can get them fixed I will be happy. I will add those grills to the list with the pet gate.

Thanks

If you're lazy, you could have folks like Simply Speakers re-cone them. They're in Florida. Another reputable re-coner would be Midwest Speaker Repair in Minneapolis. Depending on where you're at, you may have a local place that will do it for you. There are several in Denver for example, although none quite as reputable as Simply Speakers and Midwest, both of who I've dealt with in the past. They're solid. Get some of those 15" perfed metal speaker covers while you're at it, those shops sell those too.

Thanks for the idea.....we're having a party in two weeks and I'm gonna lug my 2nd pair of KLF-30's out of the basement out to the patio. There's going to be a lot of kids (but that won't stop me from letting er rip) and those metal grills will give me some peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Simply speakers was the place I found the re-cone kit for the K-48-K. I will call them tomorrow. I will take a kit or ship it out as long as I can get them fixed I will be happy. I will add those grills to the list with the pet gate.

Thanks

If the K-48-K kit is not the same as the Chorus passive, consider buying 2 and reconing them both for a sonic match. My opinion.

I am in the very early stages of getting my room set up. I can deal with a month if need be. With everything else I have in mind to do to these things I don't really expect to have them up and running for 4-6 weeks anyway.