Great article/site.

dblue

WooHoo. SHN is really cool. Of course, I am assuming it is lossless as advertised. Suppose the ear will tell, but I've just increased the capacity of an 80 gig drive from around 130 or so CD's to 260 or more. That is KEWL!

So what is an MD5 file?

I like the looks of EAC as well, but haven't given it a try. I'm wondering just how much the error checking slows it down. Lot's of options to figure out, but this looks like what I've been really wanting.

Thanks again for the links!

Dave

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An MD5 file is a checksum that you can create (this is the hexidecimal "fingerprint" for the file). The MKWact interface will allow you to create an MD5 for any SHN or WAV file. It is very helpful when swapping SHN files over the net - the MD5 checksum verifies to anyone you send it to that the file is as you sent it. If the MD5 checksum doesn't check out, then the file is faulty somehow (sometimes occurs if the DL is interrupted - use FTP for swapping SHN files). Most who trade in SHN files include the MD5's for this reason.

Another note on MD5's - you can start with a WAV, create a SHN of that file, then make an MD5 of that SHN file. The recipient of that file can check the SHN file with it's MD5, unzip (decompress) the SHN file with Shorten, and know that your WAV and the recipient's WAV are identical. IOW, Shorten zips and unzips flawlessly (even when multitasking) - if for any reason it cannot, the software will report this to you. SHORTEN IS LOSSLESS - GUARANTEED.

MD5s also are a good method for checking the setup of EAC on your machine. If your EAC rips properly, an MD5 of that original WAV should match the MD5 of the ripped copy. If the MD5's are the same, their corresponding files are the same. Use the method on Dick's page to set the "offset" for your particular burner.

Using EAC properly is a whole new animal. For that, I'll give you Dick's EAC page here - all that you need to know about EAC (as well as other trading techniques) Go to "articles" for a good start on setting up EAC. Lots of good stuff here (you'll also notice that many of the links are Etree stuff). There's a real good info link here called "Andy McFadden's CDR FAQ" that's a very interesting read on CDR and WAV.

The speed of EAC depends on it's ability to read the disc properly. If the disc is mint, the rip will go pretty quick (20X on my Plextor). If there are scratches/smudges/errors/unreadable areas, then EAC slows down as it re-reads those areas.

EAC is as good as it gets for ripper software.

Between Dick's page and Etree, most of the uses and problems with the software are covered.

OK,

I understand what you're saying. And I understand explaining it may be a pain. But I still have one question. In an earlier post, you stated that if certain algorithms were not used to encode the sound data, that one hour of music would take up to 1.5 GB of space. So when it is decoded from Redbook, and encoded to wav (both are PCM formats), does WAV have it's own form of encoding that also reduces the amount of space that the music 'data' takes up, Since they both represent the same quality of sound and both take up approximately the same amount of space? Thanks

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

I fully agree with mdeneen about CD technology. When it first came out, it was considered downright miraculous, and even now can sound pretty darn good.

While, of course, 24/96 is over twice as dense as 16/44.1, it does, indeed take around 2 gig for an hours worth. Would like to find shn for these!

I've gotten EAC going, and am getting excellent results. With every "get it right" function on, my best is around 6X using a 52X CD...though that's plenty fast. Interestingly, seems a burner is not a good choice for ripping due to it's cache. My HP is a really fine drive, but EAC suggested the 52X bargain special because of the cache issue. It also said the bargain special supported C2 checking, but not the HP. Go figure.

Couple of questions: I can't seem to get shn to launch auto after ripping from EAC even though the executable is there and I've both inserted the path and set EAC to launch the external processor. Reviewed Dick's site and still can't see the problem. Also, I am having to re-set the m3u files manually in WinAmp after shn processing. EAC looks them up and creates it, but, of course, the extension changes when shn is applied. Any cure for this?

Rip n' Roll Dave

Another "I AM GOD AND KNOW ABSOLUTE TRUTH" article,like Mobile said its(damn article)full of wrong too.

I will not even read the whole damn article,its not worthy of my time(and time I have).

Over simplification,so severe you can see thru the article the author thinks too highly of himself.

Pass

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Man, this guy is full of $hit!!!-

quote:

Apple Macintosh computers' CD-ROM transports can copy the entire contents of a CD into memory in 10 seconds. This is the way CD players ought to work. Onkyo Integra demonstrated a prototype that does that.

Uhhh, there is NO CD-ROM in the world that can copy an ENTIRE CD to the HD in 10 seconds. That is impossible, absolutly, 100% impossible.. Even a 72X CD-ROM would take MINUITES to do that. Oh, and Onkyo isn't better than Apple, or the PC world either.

Good laugh.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

• 2 weeks later...

OK,

After reading all of the posts here, and talking extensively with mdeneen, who knows a heck of a lot more than I do about this wonderful hobby I've acquired, I've come to the conclusion that this guy (the site proprietor) is, in fact, full of $h1t, and himself. Funny, but posting this in the first place has given me much more insight on things, especially redbook. Thanks for all the info guys, especially mdeneen.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee