Eico HF-81 on ebay

Radiohead

Mobile,

You really have to quit taking everything so seriuosly and Okay I will bow down to the all knowing and expert ears of Mobile Homeless and quit having a Opinion if it will make you happy !!!! Well Not !!

Although I have not been into tube amps for as long as you and also have not heard near as many as you. I can almost garrantee that I have listened to more music on live side then you have and the reason I say this is I have been to no less than 600 concerts in the last 25 years and worked for almost ten years at various night clubs in the detroit and northern michigan tourist areas. I have spent years around music and musicians and most of them have had high dollar setups in the studio's and homes. I have heard quality music my entire life most of the time I was chasing skirts and not really paying attention to what was playing the music but I still heard it. You always make assumtion about people you don't even know !!!! Just because I'm not a audiophile FREAK and I'm not versed in tube amps does not mean I don't know what sounds good !!!!

Craig

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you do not understand what was insulting about what you said, then you are even denser than I thought.

-C&S

right, when I remember exactly the one post I read by you so far that had value, I will be sure to mention it....

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 09-05-2002 at 05:03 PM

Hey Doc,

I've posted these before but here are a couple shots of mine.

LS7.JPG

LS8.JPG

Let's just call it a draw. Smile.gif These were refinished by our very own Q-Man, who is a cabinet maker by trade. They are absolutely flawless now but if you would have seen how they used to look you wouldn't believe it. He did an unbelievable job...

Mike

Edit: Come on you three. Play nice...

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-05-2002 at 05:10 PM

Yep. I SEE what you were thinking; it's just not how I meant it. My apologies once again. I actually really DID like that post. Nice parting shot, though. What happened to the wit?

As for your response, Craig.... you obviously didnt read the post about my past involving music that I wrote to Clipped. Just because I talk of amps more than most, doesnt mean I dont have a background in music. So you think you have been to more shows and have heard more live music than I have? If this is so, then I have to hand it to you. It's not a pissing contest here... lets just say I have been around live music all my life...or all kinds, commercial, underground, jazz, indie, garage rock, behind the instruments and in front. Add to that the fact that I wrote a music column and reviewed albums and shows for eight years (mostly indie bands). To be honest, I cant even count the live shows I have either played in or seen (not to mention growing up in a household that had season tickets to the Duke Concert Series/UNC Guest Artist series etc). Christ, why even start the music comparison? I wouldnt go there if I were you - I actually have MORE EXPERIENCE with the live music, recording, playing process than I do with audio gear! But then again, who gives a damn! Surely not many here. Cant say I blame them.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 05:34 PM

Humm, Mr Lindsey, those are fine looking La Scala's.

Ok a draw indeed since my uploaded pics were not of as high res as yours. I like your scott! I have one coming.. What model is yours? How do you like it.

NOS(Craig) likes them alot.

I have many GT radios. They all glow. SOme need some repair. I will learn and repair them. Cannot be that hard???? I hope?

Remember "process", it is why I have ALL of the recordings of Prez, Bird, Bud, Monk LTD, Monk, and several others.

You need to come to class more often, next semester I will let you take "special studies"......

....the wit blossoms when friendliness is watered....

spring in not far behind......

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Well, it would be quite an undertaking to compare our jazz collections. I have to admit, the Klipsch system with vinyl, tubes, and jazz is just about the perfect match probably eclipsing rock in performance and mating.

My Dad favored 30s, 40s, and 50s stuff from people like Ellington, Basie, Johnny Hodges, Ben Webster, Coleman Hawkins, Lester Young, Sarah Vaughan, Holiday, etc. Since he grew up right outside of NYC and played he got to hang out on 52nd Street during the heyday of it all. He got to meet a great many inlcuding all of the above and had some all-time stories that were priceless. I love bop and all that follows, but I definitely got into late 50s and 60s stuff like Ornette Coleman, Eric Dolphy, Albert Ayler most of which he found a bit hard to stomach. We both loved Coltrane, Art Pepper, Miles, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Elvin Jones etc but by the time Coltrane and company got into more free material, we parted again. When you combine my Dad's collection with mine you get a monster collection which spans the years. Not everyone is lucky to have this given to them or to grow up surrounded by it.

Do you take attendance?

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 06:00 PM

MH, oh yeah my RR. She is great. An AKAI GX-747.

Nice unit. I have two nice casette decks also,

a Akai GX-F91 and a GX-A5X. I have found no better as far as sonic quality for my ears. The GX-A5X is from my school days 14 years ago. It plays as it did back then. Flawless. I bought that one on scrimping on food and the basics but I do not regret itSmile.gif It is still with me doing what it does best.

MH your previous post of "YES JESUS" brought to mind

the movie Ace Ventura, Pet Detective.

There was a part in it where the Landlord of his abode crept up behind him as he was opening his door.

"VENTURA".......Ace said with his head cocked slightly upward..'YES SATAN"............... This still has me in stiches!!! Oh well a personal funny I guess.

I remember that scene well, a classic line as were many in that movie.

As for cassette decks, did you hear the Nakamichis in the 70s thru 80s? I ran a recording studio for awhile in the 80s and used the Naks to make demo tapes etc and they were AMAZING! I still have three decks, two of which work. The Nakamichi CR-7a is a GREAT three-head deck and is every bit as good as the Dragon, without the headache. I also still have a NAK BX-300. The wedge shape Nakamichi 600 II is not working but was a classic in its time. The original NAK ZR1000 was excellent as well. I gave other decks to my mom and brother. Amazingly, they still work which is one problem with the NAKS; they could be problematic. Still, I had a REvox player that was great but none better than the Naks of that time. Sadly, Nakamichi went to pot quality wise.

My four track reel to reels are getting long of tooth and I am worried about my tapes. I really need to bust out and get those things on my HD.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 06:19 PM

I have been debating this the past view months, reading reviews of sound cards (which HAVE gotten a lot better) and stand alone machines. The benefit of the stand alone is obvious except the beast can be expensive depending on what you get. On the other hand, like you said, it would be an easier resale. I think the computer card would be a final purchase, on the other hand, there are other benefits with a quality computer card as well. I dont know. Sure wish I could find used stuff. Buying new is something I avoid except with cartridges.

kh

MH, no, never got to audition the Nakamichi decks.

Those were at the high end store back then for me. My black akai deck, and a 60watt/channel Akai AA-V301 came from the local Service Merchandise in Sharpstown in the Houston area. Someone else here on the forum is from Houston if I remember.

Who knows, maybe indeed some sort of mid life crisis.

I told the wife last night, well at least I'm not soliciting women!!!haha.

On the subject of turing your analog to digital, I'd go with a darn good sound card. There is not much a good componet card cannot do. If you already have a system with lots of space and lots of horsepower go with the card first. Dedicated systems as mentioned are expensive, although maybe you could rent one?

I run a dually cpu system. Twin 1ghz p-3's.

I do alot of video mpeg crunchingSmile.gif

DVD to SVCD and then burn the movie on to regular cd blanks.

Bryan

I hope you didn't take this post as an insult doc. There is no doubt that the amp is wonderful and that you will enjoy it. I was just somewhat surprised because of the deal I received on mine through ebay about six months ago. Probably just a case of the right place at the right time. You are correct about bargain hunting however. Time is money and some would rather spend their money for time. Why wait when you could have it now? Enjoy the amp as I am sure you will.

------------------

Eico HF-81

1975 Walnut Klipschorns

Not at all RH, I maybe needed a kick in the but from the forum? In my real life dealings, I usually hold the cards. In a forum, I'm just a part of a bigger whole. No problem or ill feelings held.

If I win ok if I lose ok.

I put a max on the amount so I'll just ck on sunday to see.

Bryan

Holy mother of St. Nick!

$516????

Doc, what in the World are you doing! Heh... MAn. I am now PRAYING this EICO is MINT mint! $516? I am scared to ask your final price for this little beast! Ummm....I hear that you hold the cards; well, you sure as hell hold the cards in this auction, and it appears to be a Royal Flush. Indeed.

If I were you, I would count on that beast coming your way. I just hope it's a GREAT example. You're making me nervous!

kh

Can I go on record here saying that....ummmmm..... the EICO is damn good....but $600? Let's just say it better be PERFECT with GREAT valves and some damn quality wiring. I almost felt a bit sheepish when I saw that auction pop up at the $600 mark.

I like ole Doc. Seems like a damn nice guy. And I hope to hell his luck is running high with this beast! He deserves TWO amps for the price of one!

kh

Indeed, just ck'd the auction before popping in a Pink Panther movie now. WOW! Did not really think it would go that far! Gent selling said an old gent collector had it and seldom used it(little old lady/man from Pasadena?). Claims in "mint" condition when I asked all my questions a few days back. I've been a darn lucky ebay'r. .......so farSmile.gif

Only a few minutes left. Maybe someone will still ****** it from me?

Bryan