Eico HF-81 on ebay

Radiohead

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What in the HELL are these people doing? Why in the name of satan are they bidding THIS much so early? Indeed, it's a damn nice HF-81 (with the transformers with no lip), but to bid this amount is insane.

This is usually the price for a MINT unit gone over by a DIY person with some good NOS valves.

I really dont know who these freaks are that bid so early and SO MUCH! Yes, compared to normal AV prices at Circuit City, this is still a deal. But the amp that once was a sleeper and a real bargain is now off the scales. I know I had a bit to do with it but still am just flabbergasted people are bidding this much so early. Hopefully, the prices will slide back down as sometimes these jumps just happen in waves... I dont think this will hold. Seems to be a frantic run as of late. Too bad they dont know ebay worth a hole in the wall...

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 12:40 PM

Maybe they just wanted to ferret out what the reserve price was. Highly motivated bidders are often uncomfortable not at least knowing what the reserve is a good time before the last few minutes.

Afterall, this unit has been advertised on this forum and other online sources for way more than a year now as being the best thing since sliced bread, so why wouldn't it be worth this money and much more. According to the raves on this forum I would think these "legendary" units should be about minimum $600 standard. Sleeper bargains are only available when everyone is asleep and we are not in Kansas anymore on this one.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 09-05-2002 at 01:10 PM

Still reading the replies over at the UN built EIco topic. Keep them commingSmile.gif

As far as ebay, I've seen many an auction, participant and spectator, where the reserve was ferreted out then either upped or bid retracted.

I saw a ST 70 in presumably good shape go for 365.00 a few days ago.

Did no were look like the HF81 cosmetics now shown.

Just Jamm'n to some Old Phil Collins "In the Air Tonight". I'll get the dig camera out and take a pic of my set up.

Mobile I noticed your out there in N Carolina!! I grew up in "Hampton Roads!!"Smile.gif

Bryan

And the freak spent over 2,000 on his LaScala as well! This is some serious money for this speaker, especially when there are still bargains to be had. Whoever it is, is not likely to show himself after all this!

The EICO is a great little amp but $600 is stretching the credibility a bit, since one is buying something that will more than likely need some work, as most vintage pieces require, and at that price, you could buy almost 3.5 average units and have enough leftover for a great DIY project of your choice.

Still, this is a very clean unit. I would never bid that much unless I:

1. Knew there was some strong vintage valve(British/Dutch/W Germany) bargains

2. Had a picture of the wiring to see what was within

3. Talked to the Seller to see his knowledge and what had been done.

4. it was in pristine condition, all the way around

kh

ps- I dont agree with the meeting reserve price thing either; why meet a reserve that is this high? Many times, the winner will be under the reserve and the seller will go ahead and give it to the highest bidder. I have seen this happen countless times, to a few on here as well. Why drive the price up and up for any reason? Again, this is not intelligent ebay.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 02:35 PM

Yah, you're right, one should be getting a really perfect and tested unit with great tubes for the top dollar. People get carried away by the pretty pictures of what looks mint without really knowing what is under the hood or how much other work they will need to do. It is amazing how much stiffer the bidding gets when something looks really clean. Condition condition condition. Sometimes the sellers do not really know what they have, best to establish email contact, like you say.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 09-05-2002 at 02:38 PM

Well guys, those were "MY 2K" La Scala's. Whats $$ for if you cannot spend it. I'm not a "bargin" hunter.

I choose quality and if with in "MY" limits, I purchase them. Klipsch to me has always meant that. Even spent 500 to ship them to me from Santa Rosa! Hey, what can I say, money is not a problem at my household. They match my E center also to boot! I make no excuses for who I am or what I can attain. Real surprised at the postings and the negative waves with it. Who knows, I maybe in some sort of midlife/audio crisis. I can now buy what I want after so many years of wishing. I'm not an audio Engineer, I'm not a 8-5 person either, just a guy who has finally decided to make a nice audio system.

MH, not likely to show myself because of being a freak? I don't think so. I'm not a bargin hunter. Humm? I possibly had an inkling from the various posts that were so well written, proper english, punctuation and savvy that you kind of sat above as a moderator would seeing your knowledge of the subject matter.

I really expect( but won't hold my breath)somewhat of an apology for this one guys? What you all are saying there are limits in a nutshell to what the actual value of the amp.

I'm a newbie to Klipsch but not a dummy. Yes maybe dumb in eyes of those who must seek out bargins, but I bet I excell in areas you all do not??

Oh well, not angy but just dismayed. I felt very honored to be a part of the Klipsch family until now.

Bryan

I can almost guarantee you that glowingtube (high bidder) is a reader of this BB, although he may not be a member.

The La Scala's he bought look very clean (with a nice finish) but I'll bet they are not as nice as mine. At least it's good to know what people are willing to pay for a mint pair of used La Scala's.

BTW, this looks like the kind of unit I would be interested in but unfortunately, it's a little out of my price range...

Mike

Edit: Just so it doesn't look like I'm an idiot (although that is debatable), Doc's post wasn't there when I made this post.

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 09-05-2002 at 04:16 PM

Well docj... all the posting and not a word on these La Scala's? BTW, mobile throws those words around (freak, loon, etc) as a general term of endearment.

Please let us know what you think of your La Scala's when you have them in the house. What will you be running them with until you get the Eico HF-81? Smile.gif

Mike

Lordy Doc, dont get so bent outta shape! Bop on over to the other EICO thread to see C&S and I go at it tooth and nail for about five or six posts; I dont think we leave anything unturned in that one. This is all part of the pomp and sometimes miserable circumstance of this forum or any forum for that matter. I do apologize if all that sounded a bit harsh above; it was not meant in an ulgy manner really, more just giving the ebay loon some hell for bidding like a freak so far from the end, which drives the price up. Still, if you have the ducats, and want the spread, then by all means go for it!

For what it's worth, both those pieces look like damn fine examples of their kind. Just be sure to find out all you can regarding the HF-81. When you get into this price range, you really want a relatively trouble-free unit with some good history and perhaps some knowledge concerning the build quality. Remember, many of these EICOS were sold as kits so the builder's skill and patience (and the alcohol intake) play a roll here as well. Also, for what it's worth, WAIT TILL the end and save yourself some $$$.

Again, I didnt mean to come down so hard... I was kind of hoping the culprit would spring forth and I am glad you did. I hope it works out for you 100% as there is nothing that pleases me more.

Now what is your CD player again? heh...

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 03:46 PM

Kelly,

I can't believe you are suprised at the escalating prices on these amps. I truely believe your the one to blame you trumpet the thing like its the best thing since sliced bread ! I still say its not all that but hey that's my opinion which isn't based on hearing one in a good situation. I truely believe the same holds true for you and your Opinion of Scott amps. I really don't think you have ever heard one hitting on all cylinders !

The thing that suprises me is that you think the little HF-81 has such a large following I really don't see on the web where they have near the following of Dynaco's, Fishers or Scotts. There's way more information available on all the other brands and more web sights devoted to them. Hell scott has there own list server and forum.

I'm also suprised that someone would bid that much that early but hey if he has the money and wants it thats great. I bet if that was your auction you would feel diferently LOL !!!!

Heck all these amps are going for some cash these day's and sure makes me glad I bought so many earlier this year. A 299 in restored condition went for $470 the other day. I know the seller and he was happy but said he had about $250 in it and his time. So he probably only made about $7.50 an hour.

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

DocJ,

Don't sweat it. Your attitude on money is a perfectly legitimate one. We all like to talk about bargains, the $300 La Scalas and so forth, but they certainly are worth every bit of $2000 as well.

Not everybody likes to spend the time to find a bargain. If the time one spends looking at eBay for months, or going to hundreds of garage sales is figured in as time one could have been making money, then it's by far more cost effective just to pay the bucks in the first place and get something good.

Most people here consider their equipment time as their free time, and something to do for fun, so we're not really looking at it like time is money, but that is a valid viewpoint.

We just hope you do get a good example of this amp here.

All the best.

Another post by Craig questioning the EICO etc

Where did I say the EICO HF-81 has such a large following? The whole point was that it was an unknown quantity for so long while the established names raked in the comments, just like McIntosh. The EICO is a gem in the rough, my soldering friend. And the few that have had working models have all pretty much said the same thing.

I may not have heard a Scott 299 yet (and I want to), but I have a cavalcade of other amps to compare the EICO to, and have heard quite a few state of the art units, both tube and solid state, over the last 25 years or so. And unlike you, I have more of a benchmark system to compare the newcomers. I think this is important in the judgement. Craig, just last year, you were asking me what tube amp to buy! Mdeneen(who really helped you with the tech side), myself, and others gave you a load of advice here. The experience thing is all but gone in your eyes even though you have mostly compared your amps to your other Scotts with some brief exposure to some other options at a gathering lasting a few hours. I respect your soldering skills but you're still new to this, not only in tube amp area, but in system setup and messing with this whole racket on the whole.

That being said, I value your skill, especially with the soldering. I also think you have helped a great many who purchased Scotts. But can we call a truce so every time we see EICO there doesnt have to be a post like above???? Hell, I WANT to buy a 299. And I dont begrudge anyone that does buy one; indeed, I posted a few on this very forum, including a near perfect unit this summer with pics and all. And I look for a good buy daily, believe it or not.

EICO's dont have the following as they havent gotten the press. But look at the comments across the net and it's almost unanimous. To be honest, when I wandered in here, I dont think there was hardly a SET amp to be found besides Colin's Paramours. So it's more about exposure. And as I have said numerous times, you really cant go wrong with a great Scott, Eico, Fisher, etc. They all have good qualities and can be the anchor of a damn satisfying system.

I just find the EICO so compelling because of its humble origins and the fact that it bettered some BIG GUNS for so much more. It is the first amp I ever owned that sounded NOTHING like I expected it to!

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 04:21 PM

Heh... Man, poor C&S! And right before, he had seen some fine CW down the road for peanuts, and he missed them!

I think ole C&S got caught up in the moment and went bid crazy. He wrote a great post describing that bidding process, a post I think he hasnt topped in naturalness and value. I read that thing twice! heh...

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-05-2002 at 04:32 PM

It all gets down to supply and demand at any particular time. Usually sellers know the market when they decide on the reserve. They feel they are protecting themselves against the possibility of weak bidding. The seller using a reserve or "buy it now" makes a statement as to what they think the item is worth. From the buyer's point of view, sometimes a high price for something special has kept the item available for the really motivated buyer. Sometimes the "buy it now", seemingly high, is the way to go. I have seen items way exceed the "buy it now price" in the latter bidding. Then you thinki "darn, why didn't I use the buy it now? in the first place?

In my various collecting over the years, I have, on occasion, been grateful that some rare item was priced high because it meant the item was still there when I found it and not in the hands of some dealer who would price it for resell way out of my range. This has happened numerous times in obscure record stores, where a $20 LP was still on the shelf because most local collectors wouldn't spend the $ expecting it for $7. I buy it, knowing that the specialized market is really $200+ for the item. I recently traded such an item to a specialized collector friend who gave me nearly $600 worth in trade. It didn't matter to me that the rareties I was getting from him were bargains he had picked up in his travels as well. We both knew what collectors in Japan, say, would pay in cash for the same items on eBay!

If sellers are totally out of line then the buyers will reject the price. Sometimes sellers are speculating on higher prices knowing the demand. Who wouldn't in their position. What would you expect to get for your top HF-81 at this point? Put a value on it. Be honest. Everything has a price, no?

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 09-05-2002 at 04:49 PM

Wow!

I paid $800 for my '76 black lacquer LaScala's 2 years ago and $1,700 for these '87 Khorns. I didn't bargain hunt, I just jumped on them when available. The LaScala's were within 10 miles of where I live, the Khorns were 120 miles away.

Regards,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1987 Khorns Mains

1976 LaScala's Rears

KV-1 Center

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1987 Khorns

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

Well as for Mr Lindsey, I bet my La Scala's look betterSmile.gif Sound better, maybe not due to PWK.

Thank you MH, really meant alot. One east coaster to another. I miss my VaFrown.gif I'm stuck in the damn desert! I am not used to bb's and I do not know the usual.

I've been "GLOWING TUBE" for many a yarn now.

I did get in a last one to the ebay before the wife interviendFrown.gif I could of went real expensive tube amps but I look at my home family of tube radios. They perform so well with so little. So I think maybe the Eico will? I may not win the bid but there will always be anotherSmile.gif

thanks again for the support.

Here are a couple of pics of my systems

kh states:

"I think ole C&S got caught up in the moment and went bid crazy. He wrote a great post describing that bidding process, a post I think he hasnt topped in naturalness and value. I read that thing twice! heh..."

See, there he goes again, cannot make a point without the underhanded and uneccessary jibe. Why don't you just drop it mobile, it is getting tiresome and pathetic, and you are simply full of it, and of yourself. Maybe its time for you to take another vacation, so you can remember to value other human beings.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 09-05-2002 at 04:51 PM