Eico HF-81 on ebay

Radiohead

Congratulations, Doc. You now have the undisputed record for the HIGHEST BID ever for an EICO HF-81. You know, the amp IS worth that much and is surely better than $600 spent at any Circuit City or Best Buy, not to mention any HIFI salon. So are a lot of vintage tube iron when you come right down to it.

Pound for pound, Vintage tube audio can really bring some great sound home, especially via horns (although they do very well on other options).

Although the Ebay Wright Sound 3.5 2A3 amps will sound noticably better, especially if you are a jazz fiend for a few hun more.

Hope you are a tube fiend for life now. I'm sure you will probably collect some other fine examples along the way.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-08-2002 at 07:08 AM

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jeez, that http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1379468601

really looks nice, and I'll bet the guy who was bidding against docj will be primed for it. He might get it a lot cheaper because Doc already has his. That thing is really clean looking. I'll bet the seller is just drooling, especially if he paid $20 at a yard sale.

Tom

That last amp Mike listed is way, way, too clean to have come from a $20 yard sale.

Just another word on cost, and willingness to pay. It's all very relative. Here's my view on it.

Something only cost a lot if you can't afford to or don't want to pay the price. No matter how much money you may have, you can't take it with you, so you might as well spend it if you've got it to get the "things" that you want,... things that you still can't take with you,... but things you can have fun and pleasure enjoying while you are still here. Spending money you've earned is one of the pleasures and rewards of this all too short life. Now, did everyone get that? I DO NOT have a lot of $$$s, but I also am not interested in wringing the last dollar or holding out for the lowest price on anything. Decide what you want, be willing to pay the owner what you consider is a fair price and be through with it. Advance directly to "GO" and immediately start collecting your enjoyment.

Doc, enjoy your EICO! It really does look like a little ole' lady from Pasadena only played it on Sundays!

Klipsch out.

Jazman, well put. I too think that everybody's got a different sense of value. Value is -- mathematically - something like utility divided by price. If you get a lot of bang (utility) for the buck (price), there is a high sense of received value. Up until Doc's bid on the 81, I was the holder of the highest price ever paid on Ebay for an -81, but I got a lot of utility from it as well. I didn't feel too badly about it either because I thought I got a fair deal. Mine wasn't as clean as Doc's either, and it looks as though his tubes are very low mileage. Furthermore, you could spend $600 for a crummy mass-market receiver so he should feel comfortable with his purchase. My humble two cents, anyway.

I'm listening to David Foster through the Eico/Klipschorns right now and the sound is wonderful.

I'm tempted, however, to put a low-ball bid on those Wright 2A3 SETs closing out tonight, just to see what happens -- and maybe get a chance to hear a good SET through these babies ...

Still keeping an eye out for a clean pair of 'dogs!

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Ouch on the final price. I do hope it is as nice as the new one on the bay. Gentleman claims it is mint.

These are getting real scarce to find in this condition. On Audiogon, I got a reply to my Eico wanted. He has 3 that he has modified and from the rest sounded like beaters, but working ones. The Ebay is the only source, or I should say easy to find source of these Eico.

Obviously a lucrative business tracking these down and selling themSmile.gif

I once it arrives will power it up slowly as all the reading has mentioned. I will take pics for you all to indeed see what type of beasty I indeed got.

Bryan

Hi everybody,

reading so many glowing reviews of EICO amps I was wondering if that might be something to try out even though I belong to the music-only-and-no-soldering-skills minority on this forum. I have noticed Mike's link to the AF-4. Question: how does it compare to the HF-81?

I must say that I AM reluctant to invest in any vintage gear, not because I doubt it's quality, but I know my limits (and without somebody you can learn from, I might end up with something similar to my Dynaco Tuner which would need someone to look after and until now I haven't been fortunateFrown.gif.

So any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wolfram

------------------

System:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp (utilizing 300B tubes)

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply

Yamaha CDR-HD 1000 CD Recorder

Alternative amps:

McIntosh MC 2105

McIntosh C29

The little single-ended AF-4 is a neat little amp but I dont think anywhere near what a single-ended can do, especially considering the transformers.

There are several here that have vintage amps with no soldering experience, you just have to be more careful with the initial purchase and/or willing to learn or have a tech friend.

One of the advantages of getting the Scott 222-299 is the fact that we do have a forum member in Craig that is willing to work on them although I think he is probably through with the freebies. He has helped a few on here with soldering circumspect caps/resistors, something that will have to be done sooner or later, especially with the PS caps, which will eventually need replacing in these units(and any other vintage piece as they are the first to go). The 299 Scott is the model of choice in that line (and it comes in several versions ie B, C etc). Since you live in Europe, however, I think this option is not as feasible.

What I would do if interested, is wait for a REALLY good unit to come around that has been gone over by a tech with parts replaced. Chris and Tim both had DIY guy sellers with the EICO HF-81s that knew the amp up and down. Buying from these type situations is a lot less of a guessing game and far better for the non-technical or one just interested in the music and not figuring out schematics.

Still, it will always be a guessing game like anything used. But buying vintage without an electronics background is done all the time. In some ways, these amps are better made than new.

The current HF-81 is one of the BEST examples I have seen in a while and should be a great buy. There are always Scotts and EICOs coming up on ebay - the key is finding the right one. Patience and research is always a virtue down the vintage path as well. There is a lot to learn about these pieces with many that have been all through them. The internet has made vintage audio far more feasible!

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

I have a good friend in Holland that bought an EICO HF-81 and had a tech totally redo the unit. Final price from the tech was almost $600!!! In other words, he got completely ripped off. He uses it for a second system and I am not sure how much he turns the thing on. Since Holland is a lot closer to Germany than Arkansas, perhaps I'll fire him a mail. He knows he cant get what he paid for it but I do think the beast has all the caps, most of the resistors, tube sockets, and volume pot replaced. The guy went berserk even keeping "the old worn out Mullards" and giving him a bunch of new junk. Poor bastard. Still, most of the damn thing is new.

You cant do much better than the current ebay HF-81 right now. The guy needs to show a pic of the wiring, however, something I would always recommend before buying ANY vintage unit. The better the resolution and size of the shot, the better for you.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-08-2002 at 10:47 AM

MH, yeah, I can imagine what I might get. Flip of the coin. I've had great luck so far but one never knows.

I'm going to print out a schem on it in a few and start to look it over. That TV-7 is built like a tank too boot! Couple of bruises on the case but has been repainted battleship grey and is in good shape otherwise. Got a couple of books on order on basic tube theory, antique radio repair. Ahh, I can just smell the solder now!!

Piece of excellent advice, Bryan.

Keep a lookout for the complete original EICO HF-81 FULL manual with additions. It is a 60 or so page affair that is JUST like the one that is up for sale with the current EICO. This is a GREAT construction manual with good info and will be a big help in knowing your amp. You see them come up for auction every now and then. Worth the 20 or so ducats they go for to have.

kh