300w of SET power?

mobile homeless

833a_b.jpg

Yeah, in all seriousness, imagine this monster at home. The above produces 135w with the commercial broadcasting 833a. Frightening. Not so sure about that gray paint, but...man. Probably not the most smooth unit. Holy gridlock!

To give you an idea of size, that is a KT-88 at the lower left. And that tube is actually considered rather big! heh..

For another amp featuring the monster 833, see the

WAVAC HE-833 SET Monoblocks

http://www.tmhaudio.com/HE-833%20Ultimate%20Audio.htm

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-07-2002 at 04:35 AM

I have to tell you, I have NO idea! heh... I will say this, of the high wattage SET amplifiers I have heard, including designs with the 845 and 211 tube, I find that they lose a bit with the power. In other words, some of that SET intimacy and delicacy of the presentation is lost. It's a bit less of the inner detail... I heard the much loved Cary 805 SET monos, which are very $$$ and actually preferred the 300B amp which was half the price and a third of the watts. But for less efficient speakers, these high watt SETS are surely beneficial.

That amp you see in the WAVAC link above is HIGHLY reviewed and it uses that 833 tube. Not only have I never heard it or any 833, I have never even SEEN the tube! IT does look like a monster though.

kh

Hi Tube fans,

I thought I recognized that 833 tube! I looked it up in my 1973 copy of the

Radio Amateurs Handbook. It's listed as a "Triode transmitting tube".

350W plate dissipation or up to 450W with forced air cooling. It will take

3300V on the plate or up to 900 mA plate current and is usabe up to 30

MegaHertz!

If two are used in push-pull class "B", they can put out 1650W!

Al K.

Wouldn't you need a 220 PS for this thing? Seems to me it would DEVOUR power playing Pomp and Pipes at full blast...

Perhaps it should be pointed out to our Psy Ops people? Bet old Bobby Sherman records played on Klipsch Pro stuff at max would run the rats out of the holes but quick.

Dave