Is there a better wireless DAC?

Matthews

My computer sits near my listening position and I use an NAD DAC1 to shoot the signal to a DAC receiver at my rig.  In the beginning it sounded very nice.  However, over time it seems the sound quality has began to deteriorate.  I know it is the DAC because I have made comparisons with and without NAD unit as source.  Don't want to spend the money on the NAD DAC2 with the fear it may ultimately succumb to the same demise.

Any suggestions for alternative wireless DAC?

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪  

@Matthews

So with the DAC1 you are not using your wireless network for streaming but using the DAC1 as transmitter and receiver correct?

I just bought a $35.00 Chromecast Audio to send wireless(from phone or PC) to my Yamaha rig in my living room and so far it works great.  I am sure the onboard DAC is of the medium quality type but with this piece you do have the option of using an outboard DAC if you choose.

I don't know if your goals were the same as mine but look at this thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/165962-anyone-own-one-of-these-audioengine-b1/

Bill

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, willland said:

So with the DAC1 you are not using your wireless network for streaming but using the DAC1 as transmitter and receiver correct?

Yes, that is correct.  My wireless "network" for my internet connection then from the laptop to stereo via the NAD transmitter/receiver/DAC.

If I hook my laptop directly (using onboard DAC) it sounds much better than the NAD.  Just seems odd to me that the SQ has diminished with the NAD?  I like having the laptop close to change my music without having to go to the rig.

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Can't you use a Remote Desktop app, such as Splashtop, to control the PC from your listening position with a smartphone or tablet? That's how I have mine set up. I can control the the laptop from my iPad. Then you can plug the laptop directly to your DAC/PRE device.  

Mark

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Matthews said:

If I hook my laptop directly (using onboard DAC) it sounds much better than the NAD.  Just seems odd to me that the SQ has diminished with the NAD?  I like having the laptop close to change my music without having to go to the rig.

Maybe the power supply in the NAD is failing.  Is it just a wallwort?  Do you have a spare power supply you could try?

Bill

• Like 1

3 hours ago, willland said:

Maybe the power supply in the NAD is failing.  Is it just a wallwort?  Do you have a spare power supply you could try?

Hmmm?  Never thought of that.  Yes, just a little "wallwort".  Will scrounge around to see if I can find another to try :emotion-21: