Forte 1 specs

JAMINGRIZZ

Just picked up an astounding looking pair of mint walnut Forte's 1s. They have the 12'' woofer and passive radiator,but the new midhorn and what looks to be a tatrix tweeter horn not the traditional K7 series. They are front loaded speakers. Is this a transitional model and would the specs be the same as the originals? Pictures to follow, too tired tonight.

Forte have the plastic resin K701 mid horn which is the exact same design as the K700 (the metal cast version). The stock tweeter is the K79 (used in both versions) with a phenolic diaphragm. Perhaps you can post a photo of the horns. It is possible that the K79 tweeter horns were changed over for a different lens. The K79 horn is exponential and it sounds very good. I have used lots of K79 and I like them in fact I changed out the tractrix tweeters in my two sets of H3 for the K79 with some modification. There was so far as I am aware only the Forte and then the Forte ll with the larger tractrix mid horn and the fifteen inch passive radiator. All the same horn drivers used in both versions. Post a photo we can take a look.

• Like 1

Specs on the original forte:

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/forte-brochure.pdf

Specifications : BANDWIDTH: 32 Hz 20 kHz :f: 3 dB SENSITIVITY: 98 dB SPL, one watt one meter NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8S1 POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous ENCLOSURE TYPE: Vented box (via drone), three-way system
DRIVE COMPONENTS: K-75-K tweeter, K-53-K midrange, K-23, 12" (30.5 cm) woofer KD-13, 12" (30.5 cm) drone WEIGHT: 56 Ibs./25.4 kg DIMENSIONS: Height: 35-3/8" (89.9 cm) Width: 16-1/2" (41.9 cm) Depth: 12" (30.5 cm)

• Like 1

Thanks for the help and specs. What I was used to seeing was the metal horns loaded from inside the cabinet. These are plastic installed from the front and the mid is not the larger one used in later models. The passive is in the back. Will get the ser#s and pictures to post later. Have to get system wired and put together, Thanks again for all the info.

I had only the old reviews and sparse info to go on. Seems that like you everyone likes the new mid. That was why I did not hesitate to buy these. Tested them before buying and very much liked the sound. The plastic horns are new to me so please forgive my inaccuracies. Replacing some Klipsch bookshelfs and will be running these with a Klipsch 12" powered subwoofer that was already in the system.

On 9/11/2016 at 8:34 AM, JAMINGRIZZ said:

I had only the old reviews and sparse info to go on. Seems that like you everyone likes the new mid. That was why I did not hesitate to buy these. Tested them before buying and very much liked the sound. The plastic horns are new to me so please forgive my inaccuracies. Replacing some Klipsch bookshelfs and will be running these with a Klipsch 12" powered subwoofer that was already in the system.

The K701 (resin plastic designed fro front baffle mounting) is identical to the K700 metal cast horn. That said the construction quality of the K701 is in my opinion superior to all the metal K700 that I have ever seen but they are based upon the exact same geometry. The mid horn used in the Forte ll is a whole new design and is a larger better designed and much better built horn than either the K700 or the K701. Sorry I have forgotten the model number. I also believe the Forte ll mid horn sounds very much better than the K700 or the K701 horns do. I would do some experiments with and without the sub as it is not a given that the system will sound better with the sub. I likely will not play lower but the additional radiation may help fill the bottom end you really want to be listening to how the sub impacts the bass and low mid spectrum of the system. I would suggest you experiment first to optimize system response without the sub then play with adding the sub for best results and compare at the end of that process which way you do in fact prefer. good luck and have fun. 

• Like 1

Well my file size is too big from my cell phone pics,4MB. Did not get to tweak them much, currently 14'' from sheetrock wall and 6' apart, with no toe in and 3 feet from corners. Mounted the SB1s on stands and located them next to Forte 1s but 6'' above@ 42''.  The  SB1s are between the Fortes and the corner and toed in. The woofer really adds something right now,it is located 6 foot forward and on the left side, next to the component cabinet. Both the sub and sb1 speakers are controlable with the remote. A/V controller to 5 channel amp, no center channel, pre amp out to sub. Will be a week before I can get back and adjust some more. Any suggestions or observations would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Ben.

Review of the F1 here.

I always suggest that people reduce the size of picture files using MS Paint using "resize."  There is no reason to post pictures larger than screen size as shown in Paint.

Maybe you can e-mail the photo to yourself and work with Paint from your desktop or laptop.  But you know that, right?

WMcD

• 3 weeks later...