Audyssey Trims Bottomed Out for LaScalas and Subs

Youthman

Usually the default on the avr is 75 db. with a MV -30.  For HT, -20 should put the speakers around 85 db.  Using some disk like AVIA, the speakers would be set to 85 db and not the 75 db as in the avr.  The avr's level is lower because people don't like loud noise/tones.  In regular movie theaters the calibrate the speakers to 85 db.

10 hours ago, Youthman said:

Ok, so I took the advice and pulled out my Disney WOW Calibration Disk so that I could use Pink Noise Generator that wasn't from the AVR. 

Before starting, I took SPL Readings from the Onkyo.  When I turned it on, it was set at -20dB so I left it at that.  Wasn't sure if I was supposed to set it at a certain dB before calibrating.

Onkyo AVR Test Tones at default -20dB Vol

76dB for speakers

I then loaded the Disney Wow Disk.  The instructions said it will send a "Band Limited Pink Noise" to all speakers.

Disney WOW Disk (Band Limited Pink Noise) at -20dB Vol

FL - 63dB

Center - 63dB

FR - 63dB

From what I can see, there definitely is a difference between the Onkyo's internal Pink Noise and the WOW Disk.  Is this because one is using Audyssey and one is not?

Several things going on here, IMO.

1) Your room did not need much correction, at least within the frequency bandwidth the Disney WOW uses.  Your FL, C and FR were at levels exactly equal to one another with both WOW (63 dB)  and your AVR (76 dB).  If Audyssey had imposed much correction within that noise band, your front three speakers, adjusted to be equal with the AVR noise, would not have remained equal with the WOW going through Audyssey compensation, because the compensation would have changed the SPL of certain frequencies (needing a boost or a cut), changing the overall SPL average level.  Now, if the WOW's band limited pink noise is limited to 500 to 2K Hz, as such test signals often are, it wouldn't tap the area in which Audyssey is usually the most active, namely below about 300 Hz.  An advantage to letting Audyssey set your levels is that Audyssey uses the entire frequency range to set them (subjected to their secret sauce in weighting?).  I don't know how you would do that with an AVR (instead of separates that can have attenuators put between them) AND highly efficient speakers, unless you happen to have a processor loop (which all of us had in the good old days, but which have been largely eliminated in the folly of the 21 Century).

2) WOW has a separate signal for the subwoofer because its range is below the bandwith of the "band-limited" noise used for other speakers.  Does your AVR's noise sound deeper when it comes through your subwoofer? 

Does the avr have extra presets.  My avr has three un-used presets that MCACC does not touch in regular autocalibration.  These can be used to check the spl with the avr's test tones.  Also, dose Auddysee select the correct test tone level for autocalibration?  Everyone likes Auddysee but, it seems they have more problems.  If the sub levels aren't right, they don't like HT or music with Auddysee engaged?