best LR speaker for RC-52ii

shaunm

Shaun I'm glad you're getting some good advice from Klipschites who have actually heard the speakers in which you are interested. 

I'm glad you passed on the Polks.  Years ago they were a premium speaker that sounded great.  I have not heard any of the more recent models that excite me.  They just seem dull with little dynamics.  Maybe I should quit listening to the cheap stuff.  :P

48 minutes ago, shaunm said:

If you were in my situation and you liked how they sound would you keep them? 

I'm cheap so my answer would be "yes."  :lol:

But seriously, what matters is what bugs YOU.  If you look at your nice new speakers and all you see is the damaged corner, I'd pay the extra 50 bucks and get some that don't bother you, every single day.

• Moderators

wvu80 is correct...something like that may not bother me but it may bother you.  Some of my RSW-15's have dings, scratches, the LaScalas have a few chips etc but that doesn't bother me, but they are behind a false wall.

I purchased a pair of KLF-30 and a KLF-C7 for $200 because they had severe water damage on the tops of the cabinets (guess they had stored them upside down and water got to them).  The wood had expanded and some of the seams were separating. 

They sounded great but due to the major cosmetic issues, I sold them.  I wouldn't consider the small chips in your speakers to be major cosmetic issues so if it were me and I liked how they sounded, I would absolutely keep them.

klipsch-klf-30-tall.jpg

klipsch-klf-30-wide.jpg

Wvu yes im keeping it i fixed it with electrical tape. Quick fix for now. So i set it up and i noticed that the damage speaker does not soud the same as the other speaker :( im trying to demo different songs then my amp for the first time ever keeps turning off it blinks "protect" then turns off. Any suggestions? image.jpeg

I unhooked the damaged speaker and see if that will fix it and 10min now of playing music still working fine. Im just starting to like this speaker even with cosmetic damage but now i think something inside is broken... 

How about new klipsch reference bookshelf that bestbuy has? But it might me the "synegy" stuff :(

6 minutes ago, shaunm said:

So i set it up and i noticed that the damage speaker does not sound the same as the other speaker :( im trying to demo different songs then my amp for the first time ever keeps turning off it blinks "protect" then turns off. Any suggestions? 

I suggest you troubleshoot that right away while you are in your window to return the speakers to the store.  It is a BIG problem and it won't go away on its own.

My quick reaction is that you have two speaker wires touching each other, shorting out the amp.  Fortunately the amp is doing its thing going into protection mode and shutting things down.

How do you have your speaker wires connected or terminated?  ie banana plugs, bare wire, etc?  Given the symptoms that is the first place I would check.  If using bare wire even a small splinter touching your +/- together will cause the problem you describe.  I have also had banana plugs be too close together and touch each other causing a shutdown.

If your connections are solid, swap the speaker wires to the other speaker and see if the faulty sound follows the speaker, or if it stays on the same side.

Let us know what you find.

5 minutes ago, shaunm said:

I unhooked the damaged speaker and see if that will fix it and 10min now of playing music still working fine.

Sorry, our posts keep passing each other!  :rolleyes:

+++

OK, you've unhooked the bad speaker/side and the unit hasn't shut down.  I would now unhook the good side, then carefully check your wires/connections and hook the bad side up.  See what happens.

If the AVR shuts down, then hook the bad speaker to the good side.  If it shuts down again then you may have isolated the problem to being something in the bad speaker.

thanks wvu80 for the reply, yes i took your advice but first I hooked up the bad speaker back again and it played a little longer maybe 5minutes before shutting off. So i unhooked that speaker and moved/connected it to the right side and right now it has been few minutes and still playing. I have them bare wire. i checked and no wires are touching but i will double check again. seems maybe the left side wire has the problem. still playing... maybe thats why the sound was different when left and right was hooked up the left (with bad speaker) sounded not as good as the right side. 

i also opened up the bad speaker and checked everything and everything seem okay. 

IMG_0835.JPGIMG_0832.JPGIMG_0837.JPG

i hope we can fix this, i don't want to return the speaker and i asked the manager to check if any other stores has them and no one has them. Are these speaker discontinued ?