Biggest Shoulder Fired Rifle Caliber

Mighty Favog

47 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Would a white lithium grease work on something like that? Its not supposed to freeze or melt.

There's multiple sources saying that white lithium grease can only be used down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  Most likely it would gum up like I mentioned previously.  I have no idea though.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Only problem I've had with an AR in cold weather is when using heavy grease on the bolt.  It seemed ok when it was warmer but then I put it up for awhile then shot it in very cold weather and the grease gummed up.  It actually still shot but even just charging it you could tell that the bolt carrier had a LOT of friction and just wasn't right.  I stopped using grease afterwards.  Been using M-Pro 7 on everything ever since.  It supposedly lubes down to -85 degrees.  It mostly advertises for rifle use but I'll put it on Glocks, shotguns, and everything else.

Unfortunately for our MILITARY, they don't generally issue M-Pro 7.  And most Soldiers use what is issued or the guidelines established in the operator's manual for extreme climates.  Best lube for the M2 .50 cal under normal conditions is SAE 30 motor oil, but that does NOT include extreme climate situations.  The operator manual doesn't say to use SAE 30, but experience does.  I run CLP in my AR platform, but I have Adams Arms piston drive.  Plus I don't shoot it that much...just enough to remain proficient.  I actually prefer heavier weapons to an AR, simply because light-weight weapons tend to not stabilize well for me when I shoot.  The best hunting rifle I ever owned was a VERY early Ruger M77 RS in .300 Win Mag.  It was a royal pain (literally) getting it sighted in, for both open sights (Rem Core-lokt 150 gr.) and scope (Rem Core-lokt 180 gr.), but once that part was over I never had to adjust anything again...lots of holes thru deer hearts over the years.

PWK worked up some loads for that rifle for me while I was working at Klipsch...he knew his stuff on a re-loading bench!  He asked me, so I took him some once-fired spent brass, and a few weeks later he handed me a cardboard box with a large cartridge box inside that had ten rounds per re-load type for me to "try out"...labeled and all!  What I received in return was about eight time the amount of brass I originally gave to him.  He really loved shooting, but I am not sure that most folks realized that!  Some folks tend to cubby-hole a persona into what they know about him...and "Mr. Paul" had MANY facets.  His eyes would light up if there was a subject that interested him other than the day-to-day audio-engineer discussions...he would quietly listen and then make comments...or use the Socratic method.  One-on-one, he was a delight!  I wish I had spent more time with him at his office visiting after quitting time than I did, but I was in awe of him and feared wearing out my welcome.  Lost opportunities.

• Like 1