KP 3002 questions

DRozell

I had a pair of pro audio speakers follow me home yesterday. I spent all night trying to figure out what they are. I could not find any Klipsch speakers that matched the cabinets (see picture, maybe I'm wrong about this). So I took one apart and found a  K-48-KP woofer and a K128013 horn. Looks like the crossover has been rebuilt or replaced. Also there is a volume control (I assume) mounted to the front (removed in picture but you can see the hole to the left of the horn that I removed).

I did a little research and found that when I searched on the two speakers together the KP-3002 pops up. That leads me to believe the cabinets are not Klipsch, and someone probably pulled speakers from a pair of KP-3002's and put them in these extra large cabinets, rebuilt/replaced the crossover, added the volume control, and added the Klipsch Professional badge to the front. 

I have not tested these speakers yet (spent all night trying to figure out what I have).  As is, the cabinets are much to large to use in my house. So I'm looking for ideas on what to do (after I verify all speakers work).

So finally here are my questions - What other speakers use the K-48-KP and K128013? Or are they a unique pairing for the KP-3002? It seems to me that if I have 75% of the components I need to build a great pair of speakers that would be a good way to go here. I found a few comments that the KP-3002 is a pro version of the Chorus speaker. If that is true what would I need to build a pair of Chorus speakers starting with what I have already?  I'm I close to being able to build something else?

Send me your ideas. I would hate to sell these or part them out only to find out later I could have built something cool.

IMG_4487.JPG

I'm not sure you're actually very close to a Chorus at all. The k-48-kp that you have is an 8 ohm driver and the Chorus uses a 4 ohm driver, might want to check to be sure but I'm fairly certain. Also, that mid-horn and driver is not native to any of the Chorus models although the horn itself it is very similar to the Chorus II horn.

You might be better off trying to make a pair of the KP-301 II's with what you have. You'd need new cabinets of course, tweeters and different crossovers.

kp301ii.jpg

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:38 PM, DRozell said:

Thanks for the information. It would have taken me days to figure this out.  How would the KP-301's compare to Quartets? I have a pair those I'm currently using.

Not really much of a comparison.  There's no replacement for displacement.  301's have more slam and bass over all by virtue of their cabinet and driver size.

• 7 years later...