Infos about 93' La Scala

heavyP

Thanks W for all feedback and advice

i'll get back to you ASAP. first i'll go hear another pair, earlier vintage (70's), probably alnico  - at a friends place though it will be totally different than at home

i fear that maybe my listening room (see photo above- room opens to another space, a little larger - then you see the corners where they'll stand) is too small to handle KH and creates resonance. for instance, altec 19 were almost un-listenable there. i tried to lie to myself and cheat over them for a couple of years with various artefacts, amps, cables, etc but posted in these corners they just didn't sound good, end of story

my La Scala sound fabulous and i don't want to ruin that.

On 5/15/2017 at 3:45 AM, heavyP said:

well, i'm waiting for new pics and list of components. except for a few dents on the bottom they seem pretty nice. asking price is 3,5K€. 

they're about a 2:30 drive. considering they might be my last and ultimate speakers ;-) i think it's worth it. what do you think? if i got my numbers well they're 1981. so is it alnico or not? thanks for our insight ;-D

kh4.jpg

1981 would be the optimum year for the K-55-V/Type AA/K-77-M.  The K-55-V has the 2-piece phase plug improving its upper frequency output.  Confirmed by solder terminals.  The square magnet K-77-M has the newer, more durable tinsel diaphragm leads that can withstand 5 watts RMS power, 50 watts program power, 100 watts instantaneous peak power; same as a T-350.  Plus, it has more output between 10k and 15k than the AlNlCo K-77.  Disconnect one of the KLiP diodes for careful home use and you'll get less tweeter distortion when you crank it.  The woofer should also have square magnet K-33-Es that some of us like better than the newer round magnet versions, though I doubt the difference is really that audible. 

Depending on the depth of the damage this may be all you need to make in disappear:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CO0B3K/ref=twister_B0060HWKZK?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 

Good Solen caps are made in France.  If they sound a little dull, replace the caps with the same sizes, but listen first. 

• Like 1

thanks john for your expertise and advices. still waiting for more pics and data... i'm afraid i'd rarely crank that home system anyway but it's good to know.

actually, since i have the La Scala, i realize i enjoy listening at lower volume, at night of course for family's sake - but by day, too. music comes out so natural and effortless it doesn't need to be too upfront. but i understand the KH bass magic may change all this... ;-D

ok, will wear bell bottoms tomorrow :-)  from what i gathered today, it's a firsthand pair in OG condition, never toyed with. k55v is inside as expected (see pics). can't hardly recognize the small tweeter on 2nd pic but you guys will know better ;-)

more to come hopefully from the seller before i drive up there. seller is a pro, the speakers are a friend's of his who needs space and has audition issues. he seems ok for reservation

as offered, i'd like a few tips for transportation. i drive a Kia Carnival, which is similar to a Chrysler Grand Voyager. will the KH fit in? i'll take the Kia's inside dimensions of course. the La Scala were at ease in it. excitment is growing. tomorrow first KH audition

k55v.jpg

horn.jpg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, heavyP said:

i'd like a few tips for transportation. i drive a Kia Carnival, which is similar to a Chrysler Grand Voyager. will the KH fit in? i'll take the Kia's inside dimensions of course. the La Scala were at ease in it. excitment is growing. tomorrow first KH audition

I will add to the links as I find them.  There is a really good thread I haven't found yet.

thanks for the threads. it may fit in the Kia. but from what i've read better not on the side? thanks again

ok. today i listened to my very first pair of KHorn.

it's an OG model from late sixties. beautiful dark wood and brown fabric. i should have taken pics of  horn and filters. god how old they looked! (and dusty i should add). the way they find their space in corners without imposing themselves is amazing.

they found their place in a modern house, about 5 meters apart. listening post is about 3 meters, which settles a pretty large sounstage but somehow limited for sweet spot.

the system is beautiful high end vintage: Mc30 amps, Audio Research SP6 pre, audiomat dac, CEC TL3N drive, Verdier TT...

after a while, we switched to a Full Digital Amp i had brought with me for the fun of it. My host ordered one right away ;-)

So i finally discovered what's all the fuss about Khorn bass. it's huge, low, infra, articulate, incredible. we listened to Muddy Waters/folk singer, Nina Simone, Thelonious Monk, Saint Germain (90's deep jazzy house music). bass is spectacular but as i feared, somehow a little too upfront for "this" kind of room - which is pretty similar to my own living room - except the KH won't be that much apart and i have more open space. (3m apart/5m away)

friend loves his music loud (which of course emphasized the baaaaaassy effect) and i kept turning it down to what i found the best/natural level...

so i won't know if KH are fit for my home until i bring them in... but i definitely heard what's so special about them...

i opened a new topic to deal with these room issues

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/170566-khorns-and-a-room-new-chapter/

Edited by heavyP