Overpriced "collectibles" and the miracle of Ebay . . .

Allan Songer

Wow, Allan! I'm much more impressed with the 697 positive feedbacks without a negative. One thing I have noticed with most of the Klipsch Forum members is they have very little negative feedback on eBay.

BTW, we have a record shop here in Orlando that just picked up an entire jazz collection with lots of Blue Notes in it. I'm gonna check them out this weekend...

Mike

Good score Alan. You would still have to pay way more in a shop, right? You were competing against some other motiviated buyers. You were just saying recently how much you like that genre with jazz organ. These kinds of purchases are an affirmation of a passion, be thankful that you have that, that you care that much for something. Those deep groove Blue Notes must sound great on your system!

I will be in LA next week, hope to hit a few record stores myself if I have time.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Question from one who does not know. I, too, collect records but always buy the reissued Blue Notes for $15 to $25. I do not know if this one was reissued.

Do the original deep groove ones sound better? I always guessed the surface noise due to age would give the edge to the reissued versions.

I use a Rega 25 with Micro Benz hard body, McIntosh tubes, and Cornwalls.

thanks

The "deep groove" in the label indicates that an old type stamper was being used to fabricate the records. Allmost all records being produced in the fifties - not only Blue Note, but also Prestige, Verve, Contemporary etc. - show a deep groove. In approximately 1962/1963 a new type of stamper was introduced, which did not produce a DG, but only a "seam" in the label.

The deep groove Blue Note copies are popular among collectors because this is an indication it belongs to the first (or second) generation of records being pressed. Later copies were made with copies of stampers and are often less heavy than original pressings and hence sound inferior. Of course only the pre-1962/63 Blue Note originals display the deep groove. Later originals have a flat label (w/seam).

Allan,

Reading your post makes me believe there is still hope for me. I thought I had a problem with my "always willing to buy a Blue Note" attitude. You've got me beat. I know the later releases do not any of the collector value of the LP you just purchased, but I have found the Blue Note re-releases done by EMI, France to be excellent sounding pieces of vinyl. I hope you have ample insurance on your collection. Only recently have I come to realize what some of my vinyl is worth, and probably could not be replaced at anything less than stratospheric costs, but I need to find out if there's a company that writes that kind of policy. Do you know of any that do?

Klipsch out.

My homeowner's policy with Farmers covers the collection. I value it at about $125,000--don't know if I could acutally replace everything for that , but I'm comfortable with that amount. I guess I have some records that might be worth over a grand each at this point (Minor Move might even be worth TWO grand), but what the hell, I don't anticipate losing any of these LPs any time soon!

Allan, I too marveled at your collection. And it begs a point ... one that I've often pondered. Neither you nor I hide behind "handles" and anybody lurking on this website can evaluate our equipment and our collections ... and a few minutes on google/yahoo and they're at our front door. What do we do about this? I think there is a lot to be said for anonymity. Perhaps I need to become "Four Eyes" soon Smile.gif

To this point, I've just thought -- "trust in human nature ..." but it's an interesting question. Hate to see any of us get whacked.

Insurance: It is important to make sure you are covered for actual replacement value, and even better if particularly rare pieces are itemized with photos and descriptions.

Otherwise the insurance company can say about your $1 million painting, well, that picture of yours had about $10 worth of paint in it, and $50 invested in the frame. That's $60, but it was old and beat-up, so we'll give you $30 for your loss.

I have to ask what may be a very naive question, so please excuse my ignorance. Do you guys actually play these records - specifically the ones valued at hundreds if not thousands of dollars?? I'm serious. I'd be scared to take 'em out of the sleeve.

A curious observer --

Colin

------------------

My System

WHOA!!! Don't leave those vintage pressing in a black car in Phoenix in July!!!

Seriously guys, why don't you hook up a computer and make WAV's out of all those records. Not for serious listening, but just to have a record of your records. Also, keep the music alive, make MP3's and share the "lost music" with others. It's kind of like making copies or rare films and books so they never get lost, even is they are not 100% perfect copies.

Just a thought, I would urge you to do that, hell, some of the BLING BLING records may be that last ones. In 50 years, a dozen records can be lost or destroyed. It would be a damn shame to loose music forever.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

This message has been edited by kenratboy on 09-15-2002 at 12:03 AM

For me it is about knowing and hearing the music. To own every Blue Note jazz LP in its original form would be a rather expensive hobby. Many of the various later issues and reissues sound just dandy. I own some of each, originals, later issues, and reissues. Sometimes I feel like listening to "old friend" originals, many that I have had since the beginning, and other times I feel like putting on a nice clean Mosaic set with previously unissued alternate takes, great notes, and just as great sound.

Sometimes this company's reissues sound better than the original material, especially the sets that involved material from several obscure labels and sometimes even masters only found on rare 78s. Unfortunately they are not reissuing as much, if any, on vinyl. Even those older vinyl sets are sought after and can be found on eBay. The Complete Atlantic/EMI recordings of Shorty Rogers, for example, goes for $50++ per disc when it appears, which is usually in mint condition.

The Tina Brooks set (containing the Minor Move LP and everything else he recorded on Blue Note issued or not ) usually goes for a lot less when it comes up. Generally I have been very satisfied with Mosaic, and even their currently available CD sets are top rate. They are a good way to suppliment one's collection and inform one's knowledge while waiting to score those original show-piece Blue Note covers and nice early vinyl pressings.

-C&S

PS, most or all of the Blue Note material,(masters etc.) as far as I know, are in safe hands and will be reissued in perpetuity by someone down the line. It is a matter of being able to obtain a particular recording at a particular time, since these reissues go in cycles and are snapped up fairly quickly. It is not like this material will disappear if we collectors do not make back up recordings. This is not always the case for some other rare recordings and sometimes companies that reissue obscure material will get prime examples from collectors, especially when there are no known extant masters of that material.

Then there is the whole world of non-studio recordings which involve everything from old radio transcrition discs, home recordings of radio broadcasts, amateur home recordings (eg. Bird on Stash etc.), amateur club recordings (Benedetti collection of Bird - owned now by Mosaic), field recordings (usually on tape), etc. It never ceases to amaze me how even the most obscure recordings I know of sooner or later find there way to reissues these days. Many of these reissues are conscientiously done and are worth having, especially when the material is so rare that you would simply never ever find it in any form. There are archives in the world containling most if not virtually all of the old (78) recordings ever made. Reissue projects often tapped into these resources. Jazz is and has been a known commodity for a long time, collected, prized, and documented by fans and intellectuals etc.. It is the great Latin and Cuban recordings that are illusive and shrouded in mystery, obscurity, and often mismanagement. The legendary SMC masters, for example, were tossed in the trash when Oller died, so some of those reissue projects are highly problematic, making the owning and collecting of original 78s and 10" LPs the only route to knowing the music.

I know many who travel to Cuba to explore the music vaults in Havana, where the government will let you research the material and even license it for reissue projects. My friends at Bembe records in northern California have done some of these projects. The most famous collector of this kind of material (Ayala) recently donated his fabulous collection to a library in Miami, this collection has been the source of some rare reissue projects of important material.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

This message has been edited by Clipped and Shorn on 09-15-2002 at 11:58 AM

Well, as long as the masters are in a vault (NOT made of wood) and are in a queue for a transfer to digital, thats good.

Again, there is somthing almost disturbing about someone (or a small group) having a rare "pressing" and through fate, having it destroyed and being totally lost. I feel that if the a CD is made of the record, and distributed, the music has become immortal.

This isn't my sort of music, but I do have a respect for music and the fact that it needs to be preserved.

Imagine if the great classical artist's works were destroyed and lost. As Marta would say, "That would not be a Good Thing."

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

I don't have anywhere NEAR all the original Blue Notes--I probably have about 400 total and many of them are later "New York" pressings of "Lexington" and "W. 47th" titles. I have many "Liberty" pressings as well and I agree that as long as you stay away from the fake stereo issues they represent a terrific value--even the solid blue label versions.

I own all but three or four of the Mosaic sets as well, which can sound really excellent I agree! But I'm not sure any of them sound "better" than the originals!

I collect jazz LPs not only for the music but also because of the human need to "collect" stuff and and have it around you! We all do it.

I paid next to nothing for many of my rare LPs. I remember shelling out $100 for Minor Move about ten years ago and feeling like I was "taken." But I paid ten bucks or less for MANY of my valuable records.

I could not even begin to afford my collection if I had to start "from scratch" today.