Brand New K-Horns $3800

jjptkd

9 hours ago, USNRET said:

Not yet, I just finished the back enclosures this evening. I have been jamming for a few hours! The wife and son came out and both commented on how great it sounds; corners must be divine. I'll tell you this, no two support pieces are in the same place. I went a different way.

Why did it matter where the support pieces were located ?

20 minutes ago, davis419b said:

Why did it matter where the support pieces were located ?

Because I suck at carpentry and no matter how many times I measured, transcribed locations, etc I missed and the angles are not consistent. My other concern was the screw holes becoming worn when removing the enclosure. I figured even once or twice removed for accessing the wire terminals would be risky. I used 1x2 red oak and attached one mitered end to the grill supports and the other to the tailboard. Yes, I took up some volume but this way also took away the vibration of the enclosure; even at low volume the 3/4" oak ply had some when attached to the supports only.

3 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Pre-drill your screw holes and use good quality coarse thread wood screws and don't over-tighten them, they should hold up just fine even after numerous use.

and that was the problem I couldn't find a way to pilot hole the supports to match up with the back; varying angles, position, variances in the position / angle thru the back...it got hard. Did I say that wood working is just one more thing that I suck at?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Because I suck at carpentry and no matter how many times I measured, transcribed locations, etc I missed and the angles are not consistent. My other concern was the screw holes becoming worn when removing the enclosure. I figured even once or twice removed for accessing the wire terminals would be risky. I used 1x2 red oak and attached one mitered end to the grill supports and the other to the tailboard. Yes, I took up some volume but this way also took away the vibration of the enclosure; even at low volume the 3/4" oak ply had some when attached to the supports only.

You were suppose to put a piece of tape on the grill and tailboard then mark the center of the supports. Then put your back on and shim it up to the top. Then put matching tape on the backs, transfer the center line onto the back, mark where you want the screw holes and predrill them no tape measure needed. Ends up perfect every time. I used small headed furniture screws.

Now to the listening side o'things.
I have had stereo systems since 1972 buying in military exchanges, prior to that it was transistor radios and 4 and 8 track players with a single 6x9 in the rear deck of the parents 63 Impala. I have done the Technics, Pioneer, B-901s, Sansui, and then in 1990 went to Klipsch...Quartets, Chorus II, Forte, Academy, LaScala, Belle, RF-7 and 82 on and on.

On the electronics I have had the usual exchange purchased suspects along with NAD, Onkyo, Denon, Emotiva, McIntosh, Juicy Music, NosValves along the way. Last night was a total new experience. Yes, I have heard you sound bubbas talking about sound stage, depth, height blah, blah, blah but had never experienced that. I thought that having sound where the lead was in the center of the two speakers was the cat's meow until last night. WOW, I heard things from wall to wall across the front, I could sense different instruments coming from different location left/right/center/low/high and yes that precise center as well. The sweet spot is now sweet but it is about 2-3 feet wide rather than 2 inches.

2 minutes ago, davis419b said:

You were suppose to put a piece of tape on the grill and tailboard then mark the center of the supports. Then put your back on and shim it up to the top. Then put matching tape on the backs, transfer the center line onto the back, mark where you want the screw holes and predrill them no tape measure needed. Ends up perfect every time. I used small headed furniture screws.

The tape wouldn't stay on, I used chalk marks on the grill and tailboard...missed.

10 minutes ago, davis419b said:

I guess you just have to know your limatations

knowing them doesn't necessarily mean you abide by them (smiley emo)...you missed an opportunity to visit warm weather Don.In hindsight lying them down horizontally would have helped my poor eyesight and lack of skill but I hated to do that and didn't have help.