Surround speakers for Palladium setup...

BlueJester

Greetings all,

I'm looking for some suggestions for surround speakers for my living room HT. I have p38's, a p27c and p312w's up front, but don't have anyplace for the matching p27s' due to room/wall constraints. I'm thinking something along the lines of RS3's, RS3ii's, RS35's or others speakers of that style since the max speaker height I can work with is ~10". What do you all think would be the best match for the palladiums? RS-7's were my first choice, but they see to be difficult to come by. What about a pair of KSF-S5's, would they be a decent timbre match?

Regards,

Jester

None of them are gonna sound right with the Palladiums. So pick whatever fits your space and budget the best. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the palladium surrounds are magical sounding. Very smooth sound that the reference just aren't capable of in my opinion. 

That's what I was afraid of. If there were any way I could have made the surrounds work I would have been all over it, but a combination of lower ceilings and doors, built ins and large windows have made it all but impossible. I guess I'll just look for a pair of rs or ksf surrounds in good condition and be happy I have the space to fit those in.

Regards and happy holidays!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, willland said:

Would it be possible to mount a P-27S on a 45 degree angle with maybe some type of telescoping mount?  Or even mount horisontally at a downward angle?

Bill

Good idea.

Is there any way to have the P17s on a stand? They're a much better speaker than the P27s.

2 hours ago, willland said:

Would it be possible to mount a P-27S on a 45 degree angle with maybe some type of telescoping mount?  Or even mount horisontally at a downward angle?

Bill

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Good idea.

Is there any way to have the P17s on a stand? They're a much better speaker than the P27s.

Both are good ideas, I had thought about mounting the p27s' horizontally on the back wall, but I think that would completely throw off the dispersion pattern by aiming the tweeters up and down. 

The HT is in the front, main living are so the rear of the theater is the main entry to the house and the right side opens up to the dining are just ahead of the main seating position so while I have an awesome front stage going, aesthetics completely rule the rest of the space (specifically the rear size and placement). My wife was awesome about splurging on the Palladium line when they went on close out, but she needs to be able to decorate the rest of the space to her needs and wants, and that specifically means not seeing wires (i.e. stands out in the open, or speakers that aren't flush mounted where they fit). ;)

Edited by BlueJester
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, willland said:

You could try something like this and build a nice decorative wooden box around it, a la crown molding.

Bill

Image result for heresy wedge klipsch surrounds

This style of surround are what I'm looking at and I can flush mount them higher up on the rear wall (not ideal placement, but better than not at all).

I guess my next question would be what would be the best rears to get. The room is 20L x 13W x 8H with the rear right of the room open to the dining area. Total I estimate the space to be ~3300-3500 cubic feet. Would RS25's be able to keep up in this size space, or do I need something with larger drivers and greater power handling like RS3's or KSF5S's? I could fit RS42's also, but I get the impression from other threads that they are on the weaker end of the scale as far as Klipsch rears go. The tallest the rears could be is 10" so that excludes the RS52's, 62's and THX surrounds.