just got a Rotel 1055

Earle Decker

I placed an order for a silver 1055 today. Biggrin.gif

I was originally set on getting a Marantz 8200, but after hearing the 1055 I quickly changed my mind. Apart from the sound, I also like it's features a lot more. It decodes every the RSP-1066 does and the amps are assignable. And a big plus, it costs over $500 less than the 8200.

Rotel has a real winner here.

I'm using an RB1080 for a two-channel set up. The sound quality is fine. The only gripe is that at low volume levels the bass and lower mids loose their their "focus" and punch. Not enough amperage I guess. But when it's cranked it does just fine. Still, the sonic lack at lower volume listening may be reason enough to look at something else. Maybe a used McIntosh MC202(Ouch!! That darn $2k price tag...).

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 09-14-2002 at 08:33 PM

Rotel makes great stuff for a great price. If it's sounding better than the Marantz or the Denon, that's impressive. I have a 1066 pre/pro on order (to get it in silver) and am trying to be patient waiting. Could take a week or two more though. With regard to the 1055, I've heard it has the same pre/pro components as the 1066, plus a tuner (which the 1066 doesn't have), plus 5 channels of assignable Rotel power, but costs LESS than the 1066. Now, that's a bargain.

This message has been edited by danbry39 on 09-14-2002 at 08:38 PM

That stuff has some major drool factor.

I am thinking of getting a older 5-channel Rotel HT preamp so I can use digital in/out's for my stereo (am someday, HT) application.

I feel you are not getting ripped off with Rotel.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

good job, i was using my onkyo tx-ds797 as my main power source, and i was alarmed at the heat it put out, plus i noticed that things werent as sharp as i knew they could be coming out of my klipshes, so i went and bought an rotel RMB-1075 and like you i could not be happier, plus i got it 300 dollars off. especially for the price rotel makes some really good equipment. mark

oh yeah, plus i knew my cd's could be clearer, i was using an old sony cd/md burner, so i bought an rotel RCD991 player, same results, just plain better, much easier to listen for prolonged periods, i now find myself falling behind on my housework, bill paying..... i just sit and listen, kinda get lost at times, mark

quote:

Originally posted by Earle Decker:

Anyone else here using a Rotel receiver or preamp?

I have been using a RB-985 amp for years and purchased the RSP-1066 about 2 months ago (to drive 4 x Forte IIs, & Quartet Center). I was using some pretty old stuff, a Sony 2000ESD, EP9ES, and Millennium 2.4.6. I found the biggest improvement in CDs (where I was using the 2000's d/a). ProLogic II handling of the center channel also seems vastly superior (especially for MUSIC, which I know is heresy for me EVEN to utter). I don't like the remote, where you have to slide a panel to get buttons, but I own a Pronto and don't use it anyway. I do like the 5 Channel Stereo. At least on ONE HDCD I own, it seems to drop the first few notes of the first song when detecting HDCD mode. DTS CDs seem to be detected fine. All in all, I am very satisfied, and would have no problem recommending the unit/combo.

j

quote:

Originally posted by Earle Decker:

Anyone else here using a Rotel receiver or preamp?

Personally I am not, but my friends dad went to The Home Theater store to get a new DVD player and walked out with a 65inch MITS HDTV, a Rotel receiver and B&W speakers with a sony proressive scan dvd player... wow, can The Home Theater Store sell or can they SELL?! LoL I had to go over and teach her how to use the Rotel amp, her family is mostly illiterate about this kind of stuff. I liked it a lot, but we had a hard time getting it to be consistant with what inputs we selected. Like when going from cd player to dvd to the satellite, it would sometimes not put out the sound it said it was... i think it finally worked itself out but for a while it was a pain to watch movies over there. but it sure does sound nice, and i like the plain and simple look of it.

her dad bought the RSX-972.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

justin@soundwise.org

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 09-15-2002 at 01:24 PM

Yeah theres something about the smooth silky sound of the Rotel.

The 1055 is identical to the 1066, except for the tuner and onboard amps. The fact that it is $300 less is a huge bonus.

I find myself able to listen much louder without getting tired of the sound.

Watching a movie at reference was hard to to with the Denon, I just watched Blade II at reference with no fatigue. The adjustable LP/HP crossover is sweet. I have it set to 40hz and it sounds great. I know that I probably have it set too low, but going back and forth between 40 and 60, it just sounds better at 40hz. My mains are Klipsch KG 5.2's and they seem happy. I watched chapter 10 of the Haunting DTS ES at refernce and nothing bottemed. So Im gonna keep it there.

I have posted some pics of the 3802 for sale in the generals area, sorry for the shamless pitch.

Earle

This message has been edited by Earle Decker on 09-16-2002 at 06:41 AM

I've been listening to a bunch of receivers and amps trying to decide what to upgrade to. About a 2 months ago I finally got a chance to demo a Rotel combo (RSP-976/RMB-1066). As soon as I heard the Rotel the search was instantly over. I absolutely LOVE the Rotel sound and I'm currently saving for a RSP-1066 and RMB-1075 combo. I can't wait to hook them up to my Forte II's!

BTW, the shop didn't carry Klipsch but they did have Paradigm. They're considered bright as well so I have a good idea of what the Rotel will sound like with Klipsch.

This message has been edited by erdric on 09-19-2002 at 03:03 PM