IMSA Rolex 24 at Daytona

Davis

The kickoff of the Motorsports season for me and with the introduction of new race cars in the Prototype class and a number of new cars and participants in both GT classes it should be interesting.

Looks like you can watch it all but an hours worth across all the FOX networks.

20 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Awesome racing for sure. I would think it would draw a bigger crowd, but there are some loyal fans that will be there. A friend of mine won that race a few years back...looks good on his resume. I just noticed you're from Indy....500 fan?

Yes I am very much a 500 fan and the entire Indycar series as well.

I would always purchase a bronze badge and spend the entire first week of practice, pole day, carb day and of course the race. All this was before the IRL/CART split in 2006 which just ruined it for me.

I knew all the drivers, wives and even mom's as in Wanda Unser.

Then I drifted over to NASCAR, I had season tickets to 7 races a year for a long time until the Race for the Chase format which then ruined NASCAR for me and I rarely even tune in anymore.

So I now pay more attention to NHRA and back to Indycar, Which is kind of embarrassing because I walk thru the Gasoline Alley and really only recognize the top drivers today.

I do enjoy sports car racing, Moto GP and lots of motorsports.

I will watch F1 but can not say I am a big fan. 

Great to see another Indy person here and looks like a few race fans in the forum as well.

I look forward to chatting with you all this racing season

• Like 1

It was a real shame we lost the GP and the Indy Mile race, those guys were some of the best racers on the planet. 

I remember the good old day of IndyCar back in the 80s, early 90s. That place was alive. The break up did allow a friend of mine, Mark Dismore to race in 6 Indy 500s, almost won one. He was Brayton's teammate when Scott was killed. Dismore actually gave Tony Stewart his first kart ride, he turned out pretty good.

The last Brtickyard race was kind of embarrassing, 70k people:o 

I could talk about racing more than audio, something I know more about.

Take care Davis....Bill

Bill, I am the same way, I have been a motorhead my entire life.

I really like Mark Dismore. I  remember the day he crashed coming out of turn 4 in practice. It was 1991 i think it was  during happy hour on the Friday before pole day.

I honestly did not think I would ever see him again.

Funny I was in the infield between 1 and 2 at the inaugural SVRA event before the ProAm race and heard a voice, turned to my friend and said that has to be Mark Dismore. it was.

I did not remember he was Scot Braytons teammate.

I collect race and show 1960's Buick Gran Sports and 1986-87 Grand Nationals and Turbo Regal T-Types so the Buick Indy V6 and the Braytons are very special to me.

We need to get together and do some real bench racing.

Mark's a very interesting guy, humble also. He still hols some kart records from Daytona in the early 70s. I live about 20 miles from his kart track. My brother and Mark are best friends, he was Mark's (and Al Jrs) spotter for years. Dave built Mark a new home and became friends. 

I remember that distinctive sound the Buick V6 made. Wish they would've won one. My Dad has owned Buicks for 70 years.... still has 2 of them. My older brothers were mid 60 Cutlass fans. I don't think I've heard of a 1960s Gran Sport, the mid 80s Grand Nationals are very desirable.

My wife thinks I'm insane when I say IMS is the greatest place on this planet (she's from Texas):D

Yea Marks 1991 crash was one of the worst I've seen. His feet hanging out in front, still has a major limp.

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Mark's a very interesting guy, humble also.  

I remember that distinctive sound the Buick V6 made. Wish they would've won one. My Dad has owned Buicks for 70 years

My wife thinks I'm insane when I say IMS is the greatest place on this planet (she's from Texas):D

A stranger could talk to Mark for like 2 minutes and know he is for real and as humble as you say.

The Gran Sport was the performance option on the Riviera, Skylark and Wildcat.

The 1965-66 emblems said Gran Sport then '67 and later was GS.

Your Dad sounds cool, I like him.

Southern girl huh, good reason to go to The Circuit of the Americas.

Thanks Davis.

What year XR vs the Z1? I got to ride two XR's built in 82-83.

XR would have had more hp

XR narrower so it was more aero

XR would have been about 200 lbs lighter.

I would put my $ on the XR.

I had a 78 KZ 1000 with a RC header + jetting. I did several

roll on races with my friends Vincent ( not sure how far from

stock it was). Neck and neck up to 125. Fun out on the track.