CD Transport

USNRET

CD Transport  

7 members have voted

1. 1. For CD transport ONLY would you

• Use existing Oppo BDP-105 digital out with 10-12' coax / optical
    • Pay $400 for a Cambridge CXC with 18" coax / optical

Comon Shu pick one, it's me 1st poll!
I used the 105 to Mc 2500 both via coax using the Mc DAC and balanced out using the Oppo DAC; I preferred the Mc Dac. The first coax I tried sound VERY dark and I swapped cables but the only other 75 ohm one I had was 25' long (it sounded better)

Let me say this.  The Oppo BDP-105D is high quality versatile piece that does both audio and video very well.  Though I am sure it makes for a rock solid CD transport(only), I would not "waste" such a piece on just CD's.  Now if your plan is to transport CD's, SACD's, high rez streaming, Pandora, Spotify, etc. and use an outboard DAC, then I say go for it.  You then would be utilizing approximately 75% of the Oppo's capabilities.  CD's only, sell the 105 and get the CA CXC.

Bill

Yes the "D" model. I had the 83, 95 and now the105. Frankly I liked the Jolida -100A CD with Hot Rod Audio Mods better for two channel.

[mention=58046]eth2[/mention] send it back.

You want the Jolida back?

OK, but a story first.

When I was in my 20's, I represented a large company in a labor negotiation. After giving a long, impassioned speech about why the union's wage demands should be modest, and the union should work cooperatively towards a reasonable settlement, the much older and more experienced union president sat quietly for a long time. Finally he said, "Look kid. Let me tell you something. We are all whores and are just here to haggle over the price."

So USNRET, let's discuss the price. And don't give me any of that "reasonable" crap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bill, the Oppo would still be in use on the "HT" side of things to play DVD and BRD so I guess my question would have been better put to ask which unit has the better transport for CD duty; Oppo or Cambridge?

IF I could get Tidal to actually work for more than two songs then well, it doesn't so....... 

26 minutes ago, USNRET said:

Bill, the Oppo would still be in use on the "HT" side of things to play DVD and BRD so I guess my question would have been better put to ask which unit has the better transport for CD duty; Oppo or Cambridge?

Gotcha.  I have heard(read) really good things about the CA CXC especially at it's price point.  Can't find any negatives at all.  If the CXC is even close to as good as it's CD player brethren that I own/have owned(840C, 640C), then it is a winner in my book.

Bill

I was looking at this Cambridge price down below my ramble.

Appreciate it Carl; here's the rub. I went with the C2500 preamp to get the DAC. Yea, I know mighta shoulda went with pre w/o and used external DAC but at the moment of decision I was wanting to reduce foot print between the KHorns by sharing the Emotiva XPA-5 amp.  What I didn't realize (or ASK) was that the preamp's tubes were lit during HT bypass and when HT bypass is selected the preamp turns on, boots, up and goes into tube warm up so there is some delays on the triggers to my speaker (amp) selector.

Well, I liked the looks of the Mc which brought back memories of when I was setting up the Georgia room with several pieces of McIntosh and how I liked the sound and looks so what did I do? Jumped right out and purchased a MC275 MK 6 (roman numerals VI gets too long). Now I have the 2500 / 275 with the 2500's DAC that I paid for. I started looking around at CD transports to get back to two separate HT / 2 channel rigs sharing only the speakers.

Cambridge.JPG