Man I've been missing out!!!

Orange Peel

Yesterday when I got home I thought I would mess with my HK 520 to see what I can do with the SPL function. So I do what it says in the manual, and I find out that my center channel has been WAY to low, I had to add 3 db's to it, and my surrounds were SO FAR OFF, my lord, I had to add 6 db's to get them in the right area. It's CRAZY to hear movies now, I went out and rented the 2 Terminator movies, wow, lots of surround effects. I watched LOTR's again, sheesh, I should have done this a long time ago Smile.gif I always thought my surrounds were too quiet and couldn't hear that much out of them.

I still plan to pick up the SPL Meter from Radio Shack, but for now, this one worked a bit Wink.gif

I love this receiver, and I love Klipsch!!!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Hard to believe I've had one in my hand while browsing at RatShak, but actually left without making the purchase. (Don't tell HornEd, he will scold me bad) I better get back down there and make that purchase. Congrats on the improvement, so many things just add up to make a system better and better!

The Rat Shack SPL meter is a must have in my opinion. Not just for adjusting the Channel Levels in your HT but also to test the SPL at each frequency from a Sterephile Test CD. With each change I make to my speakers (crossovers, drivers, horns, placement, etc), I always run the tests and see what it does to my Frequency Response...

Mike

The reason I like using the Avia for the test tones, rather than the preamp, is that way I am measuring from the source component. Prolly not a big deal in my overall picture, but what the heck...

I think I saw the Ovation logo on the cover of the S&V Test Disk, didn't I? Ovation produces the Avia disk...

Perhaps the reason the S&V disk is so much cheaper is they fill it with glowing recommendations and advertisements of every imaginable piece of equipment, just like their rag.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 09-18-2002 at 06:49 PM

Hey Orange Peel, you have a deadline on getting that SPL meter.

I read elsewhere that you have a sub on order. You need the SPL meter because you just can't set the volumes to match your regular speakers using just your ear. Bass just doesn't sound the same as the full-range noise.

But I guarantee you'll like the result.

Enjoy,

Eric

doug, its no biggy Wink.gif, but what about other source components like dig cable box? i use that more than the dvd/cd player for watching 5.1/2.0 movies. also have a tuner in the pre/pro.

plus the avia jumps around to the speaks for the tones instead of staying put long enough to get the setting right. or is there a way to get it to stop? (moot for me since i'm not using it anyway Smile.gif).

also the bass mgmt is goofy w/ it. though its a 5.1 disk, they don't put out a sub tone unless you put the speaks to small. iow, it doesn't have its own sub tone- it relies on the bass mgmt to produce it. worthless for lfe level. (again moot for me anyway).

no biggy though. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

boa - Good points. Just speaking from my narrow little world where I only use DVDs and CDs for sources (don't have cable, by choice- isn't that amazing!!).

There are chapters with test tones that are dedicated to just one channel, and the tone doesn't move until the chapter ends. Yeah, it does end eventually so I just have to A-B loop it or hit chapter backup on the DVD.

I hadn't observed the "no LFE test" phenomenon you mentioned. I'll have to check that on my system.

DD

------------------

My System

please explain, this is exactly what i have been looking to do, but have been too green to know what to ask. what exactly is lfe, and the other abbreviated terms you mentioned, plus how should i proceed? i haqve spent alot of money to upgrade recently, but i know i can get more out of what i have, thanks

------------------

ONKYO TX-DS797

ROTEL RMB-1075

ROTEL RCD-991

ONKYO DVC-600

RF 5 fronts (soon rf 7)

RF 3 SURROUNDS

RC7 FRONT CENTER

SVS ULTRA SUB