Klipsch Heresy II & Sansui AU-666

Dear all,

Firstly, nice community here, loads of passion and knowledge! 

As a new comer in this world, I have a questions regarding my first installation. Friends of mine recommended me the Heresy II. I read a lot of good thing about them and feel kind of attracted. 
I was doing some research for a circa 500€ amp, with a tube-like sound and lets say softly warm. I found that the Sansui AU-666 seems to correspond to this (I have to say I find it particularly beautiful). But the power output seems to low for the speaker (35  watts per channel - 8Ω). 

Considering that I have a rather small room (bed, desk, shelf with 900 records — 12m/ 40 ft2) could the amplifier be enough powerful? 

I am also curious about the Sansui AU-D9/D11/AU-517 but the sound seems really different from the AU-666, does someone have already made the comparaison? It seems that a Marantz 2245 could also be a good solution, strangely I feel more attracted by Sansui. Maybe someone in the area of Amsterdam have both brand and could let me hear the difference? 

I am playing only records and every genre from reggae to new wave, disco, ambient/esoteric, synth wave/pop, old school house, kraut. In general mostly percussion and synth related stuff.

Looking forward to read your thoughts!

Cheer's! 

Edited by extreme private eros

Welcome to the forum.

I have used many different amps, stereo receivers(including Marantz 2252B), AVRs, with both my HI's and HII's and all have sounded great.  IMO, they are very forgiving and mate well with many different brands and types of amps.

1 hour ago, extreme private eros said:

As a new comer in this world

Where is your corner?

Bill

That will be a very nice combination, especially for records. I also play records only and my second system is

Heresy and Sansui AU-6500, which is about the same power (28 Watts) as the AU-666.

(both amps use the same pairs of 2SD188 and 2SA627 output transistors, both warm amps)

The Heresy do not need much power to reach loud levels. Here is a way to think about it...

For records you want +20dB dynamic range above your average listening level to ensure that peaks stay clean.

That means your loudest average listening level would be -20dB with respect to the amp's rated power output.

Conveniently, 20dB is a linear factor of 100, so 35 watts minus 20dB is 35/100=0.350 Watts or 350mW.

So your loudest average listening level to stay clean on dynamic peaks is the amp delivering 350mW.

Heresys produce 96dB with 1 W. To compare 350mW to 1W, use 10*log(0.350/1)= -4.6dB

That means your maximum average Heresy sound pressure level is 96dB - 4.6dB = 91.4dB

Distance makes this lower, room gain from walls and floor make it higher, two speakers adds +3dB.

So you could estimate about 90dB very conservatively.

Now 90dB as an average listening level is VERY LOUD, and for both the Heresy and the Sansui, an easy job.

This will allow +20dB for dynamic peaks up to +110dB and still be clean, so very nice concert level margin.

On most volume controls, the middle setting at 12 o'clock corresponds to about -20dB, sometimes, -18dB.

I just mention this so as no surprise that you may find that you never need the volume knob near half way.

Thank you guys for all this crucial informations, I might go on with the Sansui Au-666!

My next question would be, what do you think about having turntables and a mixer on this set up? 
I am also DJ and would love to mix and record my podcast at home with great sound. (I am not speaking about taking the speaker out).

Edited by extreme private eros

room acoustics are what i noticed changing the sound the most. i really didn't like them on hardwood or tile. carpet yes, may be able to get by with some wood in larger rooms. not a good digital speaker but an excellent analog one. 

dynaco st70 is a great value amp if you can find a clean one. certainly not going to lose anything when you go to sell it if you get in one at the right price. 

if you want to get loud there are plenty of solid state options 

this is a completed ebay auction on an st70 . it's really not much more than you're looking to spend and rather than going for tube like sound you would have a proven design that's actually tube 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Dynaco-ST70-Tube-Stereo-Amplifier-SERVICED-/292031965499?hash=item43fe76293b%3Ag%3ANVQAAOSwOgdYqGeW&nma=true&si=iYcN%2FNajETLVqBhfShqUbUfE53M%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I've got an AU-777 & TU-777 combo myself. Haven't used it in 8 years or so.  One of these days, I need to go thru it and recap/tune it and see how it sounds freshened up.  Definitely a good looking series of vintage gear.