7.1 setup, upgrades

Ljk

Chorus I front mains, kp 250 (one) kp 250 II (one) side speakers, ss1 rear speakers, academy center. ( Yes Kp 250s are a mixed pair). Just picked up a pair of chorus II with crites tweeter ti upgrades for mains, kps to remain side speakers and chorus I to be used as rear surround, academy to remain as center. I would like to upgrade/trade to get a better tonal mix of above speakers. 7.1 used mostly for HT 

Need suggestions on however to achieve a better tonal mix  for 7.1. Not in a hurry to accomplish but would like ideas on what look or which  upgrades  would be best, thanks.

You're on the right track. You are replacing the synergy surrounds with the chorus i. The Academy is the proper center channel. The kp's are basically pro line heresy's which are part of the heritage line (well extended heritage). You didn't list a sub, you may want to spend some money on a sub if you don't already

I have a non working sw12, developed a hum I try to fix and we'll that was the end of the sub amp. I am currently run  a 12inch energy sub I picked up at goodwill cheap. I believe the chorus II have a better mid than chorus I, kp250 II has a better tweeter than the 250. Was wondering if it would be better to sell/trade the mids from chorus I to match the ones in the II or just put new diaphragms in them. Would  it be better  to match one of the kps to the other/trade one of the kps to match the other. I do plan on rebuilting xovers over time.  

I know some you guys know the heritage line. Was hoping to get pointed in the right direction so I do not get a tonal mismatch as I upgrade the speakers.

N

Edited by Ljk

From my experience with chorus and chorus ii's, is definitely the mids as you stated. I know it's a different driver, but i don't know if changing the driver will make much of a difference. I think the horn itself is what makes the biggest difference (I could be wrong). Luckily for you, you have both versions. Take a mid drive out of one of the chorus II's, and attached it to one of the version I's. Do an a+b comparison between the version I's to see how they compare. This will tell you if the driver makes a difference or if its mostly the tractix horn. Then come back here and post your results!! 

Picked up the chorus II today, it will be a few days before I can get everything hooked up. I am switching direction of current room setup so I can get rear surrounds about 6 ft behind the sofa. Going to take everything out of the room, wirer and play with speaker location/angles.

Chorus I                          chorus II                           kp 250                               kp 250 II

K 79 k tweeter                K 79 k tweeter                 k 79 k         tweeter          k 792 k                      tweeter

K 57 k mid                      k 61 k  mids                      k 53/701    mid                k 66 e       2inch Ti   mid

K 48 e woofer                k  48 e woofer                   k 42             woofer          k 42 epk                   woofer

First I would like to do the crites ti on the chorus I,s tweets so they match the already upgraded II. Next (If chart is right) get the tweet on the  kp 250 Ii to match the other 3 speakers, not sure what that would take. The mids I have no clue on what to do, not familiar enough with drivers to make any decisions. 

Need some help from the experts out there, any suggestions will be appreciated. I do plan on Bob Crites xovers upgrade down the  road but I would like to get all speakers to a good tonal match first. Thanks!

Doing some more research and found the academy has a k 76 tweeter. Suppose to be the same horn body and diaphragm  as the k 75 and k 79  only with a smaller magnet. Another member found the 76 to be more shrill then the  k 75 and 79, so do I and would like to upgrade to match the others speakers. I have put Aquarian form in the chorus I,s and the academy, helped quite a bit with the one's not so much with academy.

Edited by Ljk

Bought a 3 month old sa madrid 18 inch sub for 25 bucks off cls, according to the previous owner it has a rattle at low volume. Have not hooked up, but if I can not return, fix or get fixed locally I will just buy a new one. That should cover lfe once I get the box build and every thing sorted out, till then my old 12 inch energy sub will get me by.

I want to find a k 79 tweeter and put the driver on the acadmey 76 body. The 76 seems a little shrill at times, don't know if this will help but at worst it will have better power capabilites. The horn body would go on the kp 250 Ii to get a closer match to other tweeters. I do plan on BC ti upgrade on all tweeters first then rebuild with BC xovers as time and funds permit. As for the mids I think the chorus I,s and II,s. will be far enough apart to not make a tonal difference. (ÌI,s as mains and I,s as rears about 20 ft apart) If I should  find a pair of  k 61 I might put them in the I,s. is this possible without making  changes to the xover? 

I am not an expert on klipsch speakers just did some homework. Any suggestions on above, Am I going in the right direction? Thanks!