Best speaker match for a Marantz PM6006 amp

Derrick

Hi, 

I have a Marantz PM6006 integrated amp which drives 45 watts at 8 ohms and 60 watts at 4 ohms. It is currently hooked up to 6 ohm speaks with 90 db sensitivity (93 in room) and they sound fine. I am looking to upgrade my speakers and am wondering which Klipsch floor standing speaker under $5,000 (for the pair) would be the best fit. My room is medium size, approx 12X16.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.  What size speakers are you looking for, RF 7 II, Khorns, Palladium, LaScalla, Chorus, ect.  First pick out a style and size.  Modern design, expensive or, old school design.  If the 90 db. sensitivity speakers sound fine, are you looking for more loudness, detail or bass?  What type of music do you like?

I don't think you need anywhere near $5000 speakers for the amp.  Note what a lot of us have listed in our signatures.

You have a great name.;)

Hi, 

Thanks for the response.

I love the old school wide speakers (Cornwall's would be my first choice) but my room isn't wide enough and the prices are steep. I was thinking more of the modern towers. I listen to a wide range of music. Everything from jazz to classic country but I would say that 80% of the music that I listen to is late 60's to mid 80's classic rock. I want a great sounding speaker that has decent bass. I don't think that there is one specific sound that I am targeting. I am currently listening to my 90 db speakers at about 45% of max volume. I think that anything over 50-60% would be too loud in my room.

Thanks 

• Like 1

If it were me and given your budget , musical taste and width restrictions . I would be looking for Something along the lines of

KLF -30'S , KLF-20'S , KLF-10'S , CF-4'S , CF-3'S , RF7'S , RF7 II'S , or KG5.5's . All of them can be bought (Used) somewhere in the range of $1600(pair) and down to probably $350. They would all be much happier with more power than you're using but of course you would have plenty left over in your budget. I have not heard the RP-280'S but if new and hassle free is your thing , I am sure they will do a very nice job as well .

• Like 1

If this is only music and not HT, a tube amp similar to what I have would be plenty of power(45 watts) or a SS amp with a bit more power.  Tube amps seem to play louder than there SS counter parts.  Are you going to use a sub?  For HT, a SS amp with 125-200 watts is what a lot of us use.

Derrick,

Welcome to the forum.

Where is your location?

3 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

I don't think you need anywhere near $5000 speakers for the amp.

I agree but if you must, maybe you could wait a bit and treat yourself to a pair of the new forte III's.

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Derrick, if you like old school I have a pair of chorus 2 s  that I think are the best all around speaker. My son has belles and Khorns  and cornwalls . The Khorns are awsome but massive , the belles are great, I dont really care for the cornwalls but for some reason I love the chorus 2.

Thanks, 

I only listen to music on this system, no home theater and no sub. I haven't looked into the used options in my area (Ottawa, Canada) as I ususally buy new. I am a bit wary of buying used. You never know what you are really getting and how it has been treated. The chorus 2's look great and the forte 3's would be awesome. Any idea of the MSRP on those? 

I took a quick look at the used options here and there seems to be a few pairs of KG2s and KG4s and a pair of Tangent 400s. Anyone know anything about these? There is also a pair of Heresy's for $750. 

Thanks