Any McIntosh MX Room Perfect users here?

USNRET

I could use some help.I own and successfully incorporated the MEN220 into my two channel system and it works very well.
C2500 > MEN220 > MC275 MK VI > Klipschorns / dual subs

I just purchased a NIB MX151 and for the life of me can't get this figured out. I have read many pages and watched a couple of videos on setting the Room Perfect but.....

System: MX151 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Klipschorns / Belle center / dual subs and Martin Logan in-wall side surrounds.

I am using the same KHorns in both systems with a switch (been doing this with numerous systems over the years)

Subs in AUX 1 and 2 at sub 80. FL and FR are set to XL, center to M and surrounds to small. Attempting to set custom fronts results in error in set up but I will get into that later down the road.

I measured and input the distances and initiated the RP Guided Tour. After getting the very efficient front wall db levels to work RP allowed me to proceed. I made it thru the focus and 5 positions with 93% learned and mid 50s processing.

I thought I was set but when I fired up some tunes from my Oppo 105D thru HDMI the sound was not very good at all (my listening space is very bad which is why I went with RP in the first place). The sound on my 2 channel in the same room with MEN220 is very good; with MX not so much.

Now with music playing I switch from Focus 1 to Global to Bypass I get ZERO difference in sound. When I do this on the MEN it has a slight muting then changes and you easily can tell a difference.

Back to the MX; with Room Perfect light ON I press the Trim button on the remote and the first thing displayed is TRIM OFF and no matter what I do that it never changes to anything other than TRIM OFF. Going thru the Trim menu and adjusting gain, bass, treble, etc never results in any change in sound i.e. adjusting Bass to +10 does nothing.

It seems to my simple mind that I am missing something about this TRIM OFF.

help?

• Like 1

Be sure to tell McIntosh that you have Khorns rated at 105 dB / 2.83 V / 1M, and a Belle that is nearly as sensitive.  Some room correction devices (such as Audyssey) require special handling with speakers that sensitive.  I don't know about MX151.

Mc has been in contact and has given me some things to do. I will get around tuit this weekend and see how we proceed. Outstanding customer service with direct phone line to the guy, no phone tree.

Well in another post I put the MX151 Room Perfect thru it's paces this past weekend.

Outstanding customer support from McIntosh's Ron who went so far as to actually research KHorns and provided settings for them and the delays to set for the subs.

The Dolby 5.2 from Netflix is really REALLY nice. I had almost convinced myself that I was returning to a similar pre-pro Marantz since I had sold my 8802. I know that my current RP calibration is not as good as it can (actually my third: 1st one took but didn't do anything, 2nd one this weekend ended up with me selecting abort rather than continue > save); I'll ask that question in a minute.

All is well with the HT side of things here in the haunted house but............
I am not happy with the 2 channel sound with the MX / Emo amp. I will take into consideration that now I running MX's Room Perfect corrections in 5.1 mode (subs are split vice "stereo L/R " 5.2) per Mc's advice and I have NOT attempted a cal. in stereo. This is something I could learn to do in the future as I can save different files i.e. one for stereo and one for HT. A big negative to me is that I don't really want to decide I just didn't want to watch this movie so I think I will do some blues for a bit. Now I have to bring up laptop or iPad or dig deep into OSD menus to change files....naw, don't think so.

So up next is getting a weekend to fire up the C2500 > MEN220 > MC275 and re-run RP on that system since the room has changed a lot since I last listened. I am told that furniture or speaker movement, however slight, requires a re-run of RP. Perhaps www forums analism; don't know.

I would have liked to be in a position to use the MX in all modes, sell off the extra stuff and put that money on a McIntosh MC8207 amp so all would match... well except for the Oppo -105D; I am not paying Mc prices for a re-badged costing x$$$. Actually had some serious interest in those pieces and could have sold all 3 pieces individually or all up. This too shall pass, or not, when I have a listen to the stereo again.

Just one more high 5 to Mc's customer service and to add that I had an issue with my Harmony Elite remote as the MX and C2500 share codes

:(. So if I make a command to the MX while watching TV the preamp thinks I am talking it it so it turns on, make that selection and then triggers the tube amp to get hot; not the best idea. So the Mc preamp has an alternate code set on board :D. I made that change via the Mc remote and then found that Logitech doesn't have the alt code set. We swapped several emails in a speedy request conversation. It was escalated and they threw in the towel. Here Mc customer supports comes back with a suggestion to load the Harmony remote with a C1000 preamp as my device instead. Works frigging perfect.

Edited by USNRET
cause i can't type