DVD Player, Pioneer Elite, Denon???

Orange Peel

I'm looking into getting a new DVD player, I'm getting a little tired of the lip sync issue of my Sony.

I can get a discount at Ultimate Electronics, a local store, not sure if they're elsewhere. Anyways, they sell some real nice high end pieces, like Pioneer Elite, Denon, Klipsch, Martin Logan, Krell, Carver, etc. So I REALLY REALLY LOVE the looks of the Pioneer Elite players, and I hear they are really nice players too. What models are worthy to buy in the Pioneer Elite line? Does the Denon's compare to the Pioneer Elite? What else should I consider. I was told that I can get about 40-50% off the price of things, so I would like to stay around $300, maybe more if it's really worth it, so if something cost $499, or more, I might be able to get it real cheap. Just give me some model numbers and I'll check them out.

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 09-21-2002 at 12:05 AM

Check out the Denon DVD-3800. With the latest firmware, it is chorma-bug FREE! Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung SP55W3HF (55" Rear-Projection 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Thanks guys, those are a little pricey $1200 retail, what about something around $500 or so retail in those brands? I think the Elite's cheapest is $700, so I would have to see what the discount price is on that. What's chroma bug?

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 09-21-2002 at 11:13 AM

I can't speak for the DVD player, but I love my Pioneer Laser Disc player.

I bought the Denon DVD-900 for about $300. I'm very happy with it. They cut corners to get the price down, but they cuts corners with features and not quality.

I wish it did DVD-Audio or played VCD's like the Toshiba I looked at first for less money. But as a progressive scan player I'm happy with it.

But if your getting a good discount like you say, you should shoot for a better model. Maybe 2800 mk II.

I mention these only because you say the others are still too expensive.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

The "DENON DVD 1600" is one of the best choice for audio/picture quality for its price and it is chorma-bug free... and it's a DVD Audio, then you can take a look at the "PANASONIC RP 91" or a "TOSHIBA SD 5800" maybe the best bang for the buck(realy cheap!) it have all: Progressive scan, DVD A, HDCD, MP3, DVD R...

Sorry for the prices, but i don't know them in USA because i am in Europe...

Regards,

Freud,

• Like 1

You may want to consider the Denon DVD-1600. You can get it at most B&M places for $450.

It has an excellent progressive scan image utilizing the Sage/Furouqua DCDi chip with no chroma upsampling error (bug) common with other players (the DV-47A and Denon 3800 listed above have the Chroma bug). The player also has DVD-Audio.

You may also want to consider the latest Panasonic Pro-scan players. For the money, they are some of the best players on the market.

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

Wow ... Freud beat me to the punch. It's funny, we said basically the same thing. Cool

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

The Denon DVD 1600 looks pretty nice, not too bad of a price tag either. I will defintely check that out at the store to see what I can get it for. I just want something better than my Sony I got a few years ago. Thanks for all the help, if you have any more keep 'em coming!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Above are some great choices and the panasonics for the price are great dvd players but the one for you is

new from pioneer elite

dv45a at $499.95

it has dvd audio and sacd and it is an elite

ultimate electronics is a great store to buy all your audio and video stuff at. how do you get such a great deal at ultimate?

TopDawg - Thanks for the input. Well my Fiancee has a friend that works there and he gives me 10% over his cost, which is a HUGE discount over retail, I mean HUGE! Iwas SO torn between the Denon and the Pioneer Elite. I was real close to buying the Pioneer Elite DV47A over the Denon, but I liked the Denon's 4MB buffer, I hate seeing that layer swap in the middle of movies. But if I don't like this player too much, or start to have issues with it I will go back for the Elite DV47A.

Do you think the DV47A is better than the Denon DVD 2800?

I also REALLY like the height of the Denon, all the Pioneer Elite stuff is going slim style Smile.gif The DV47A is almost have the height as the Denon 2800.

But I can't seem to fully utlize the Progressive scan with the component video input Frown.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Denon DVD 2800c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

I really liked the Elite. I love the looks of it as well. When paired with the 49TX, wow. Smile.gif that is what we have on order, until the room is finished. Of course, it seems like the Pioneer Elite DVD player we were looking at is no longer available...? It was around $1000 i think, single disc... SACD/CD/DVD.. i had it posted a few months ago but alas, i can not find that thread. the price i listed could be wrong, any ideas on what it was? Pioneer Elite, SACD/DVD/CD

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Hey..We have had this Pioneer Elite DV-47a for a few months now. This thing has been used and abused and EVERYTHING there is has been played through it with no problems whatsoever. (Except HDCD) I havent noticed any "layer swapping" at all either. This is one of the finest pieces I own.....Glad I have it. I did take a chance on the net and purchased it off Ebay New for $700.00 though.

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

Is that maybe the DVD player I was thinking of?

My sony dvd player is causing me a problem. whever there is a layer change, i guess, it pauses and skips a few seconds of the movie. it does this is all dual layer dvd's and just started doing this about... 3 months ago i suppose. it is the Sony DVP-NS400D. Any idea what is up with that? Say I need a new one, since I don't have the money to get something like the Elite my dad is getting, what is good for around $300 or less, I really need progressive and 5.1 output for atleast Dolby Digital.

Sorry to barge into your thread Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me