Klipsch RF-7, RC-7 opinion

ljsimp

Hey guys I am just starting my home theater and super excited! I am looking at some local ads on craigslist and saw Klipsch RF-7, RC-7 for $1300 I am going to try to get them for closer to $1000 what is your opinion on these speakers and the price? What receiver do you recommend? I am also thinking about M.&K. V-75MkII Powered Subwoofer for $180. I live in the Raleigh area any advice would be great.

The reason I ask for your opinion is I posted a similar topic on AVS forum and one gentleman mentioned that the RF-7 are not great sounding, and recommended KEF iQ7 I just want multiple opinions. 

Thanks! 

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

The RF-7 / RC-7 are fantastic speakers.  I've owned 3 pair of RF-7's over the years and 2 RC-7's. 

My son currently has RF-7 and RC-64ii in his bedroom.

Klipsch-RF-7-and-RC-64ii-2.jpg

25 minutes ago, ljsimp said:

The reason I ask for your opinion is I posted a similar topic on AVS forum and one gentleman mentioned that the RF-7 are not great sounding, and recommended KEF iQ7 I just want multiple opinions. 

I'm of the opinion you either love Klipsch or you don't.  Apparently he's of the later group.  Klipsch tend to be bright, detailed, and very revealing. The RF-7's are among the brightest sounding Klipsch speakers.  Some consider them to be ear fatiguing at high volume and "harsh".  I love their sound.

IMO, $1300 for RF-7 and RC-7 is way overpriced.  About 5 years ago, RF-7's were going for $1200 and the RC-7 around $450.  I purchased my son's RF-7's for $400 and they are near mint and paid $150 and $200 for my previous RC-7's.  With that said, RF-7's still go for around $600 - $800 and the RC-7 between $250 and $350. 

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Here is a pair of RF7's in the forums that were just bumped.  They have been listed since March

As far as subs, I had Velodyne HGS15's, Klipsch RSW-15, both are awesome subs and have no problem keeping up with the RF-7's.  SVS makes great subs as well, I've just never owned any.

I was about to jump on those RF-7s that was a great price unfortunately he is local to Orlando and I am in Raleigh NC and no option to ship. The RSW-15s are awesome a little $$ new but I will keep an eye out. Your setup is truly amazing great work! What are your thoughts on this receiver?

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3300w/denon-avr-x3300w-7.2-ch-x-105-watts-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, ljsimp said:

The RSW-15s are awesome a little $$ new but I will keep an eye out.

Doubt you will find any RSW-15's that are new.  They still sell for around $700 - $800 unless you can find some "Youthman Deals".  ;)

12 minutes ago, ljsimp said:

Your setup is truly amazing great work!

Thank you kindly.

12 minutes ago, ljsimp said:

What are your thoughts on this receiver?

I've never owned a Denon before.   Only Onkyo, Yamaha, Harman Kardon and an Emotiva UMC-1 PrePro.  I bet @willland can offer some advice on receivers.  He tends to keep up with models, I myself know very few models as I tend to buy my receivers used.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I purchased my son's RF-7's for $400 and they are near mint and paid $150 and $200 for my previous RC-7's. 

Totally unrealistic to try and find some for this price.

With that said, RF-7's still go for around $600 - $800 and the RC-7 between $250 and $350. 

Still a little light for those in good condition .

Doesn't Dave have a spread sheet with used prices?  @wvu80 ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Doesn't Dave have a spread sheet with used prices?  @wvu80 ?

I keep Heritage prices only, La Scala, Forte, Khorns, Heresy, Cornwalls, Belles, Chorus.  I listed them because not everybody agrees on what Heritage is.

I know generally some other speaker used prices, but others have a better grasp on those.

6 hours ago, ljsimp said:

It might help to know that a lot of people on AVS.com (I am a member) tend to be negative towards Klipsch products in general.  Then when you inquire further a lot of them haven't even heard the speakers.

I haven't heard the RF-7's but the people who have them say they love 'em.  The RC-7, likewise.  All top shelf Klipsch products.

Ok so I met with the owner of the RF-7 and he has a RSW-15 subwoofer @Youthman maybe you can chime in.  We came to an agreement the RF-7, RC-7 and RSW-15 for $1450. Do it is $1000 for al (3) speakers and $450 for the sub. What is everyone's thoughts? 

He he also recommended pairing this with a marantz sr5010. 

Thanks all all you have been helpful. 

Edited by ljsimp

Ok so I met with the owner of the RF-7 and he has a RSW-15 subwoofer @Youthman maybe you can chime in.  We came to an agreement the RF-7, RC-7 and RSW-15 for $1450. What is everyone's thoughts? 

Price not bad at all if in good condition.

He he also recommended pairing this with a marantz sr5010. 

How large is your room?  

I am a big proponent for outboard amps.  The 5010 has multichannel preouts so you could add one later if you choose.

Bill

2 minutes ago, willland said:

Pretty decent size so you might need a bit more horsepower for headroom and dynamics.

Bill

What's your thoughts on getting the sub and then adding another later? It looks like this supports both or should I just purchase the speakers and buy a different sub?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, ljsimp said:

Ok so I met with the owner of the RF-7 and he has a RSW-15 subwoofer @Youthman maybe you can chime in.  We came to an agreement the RF-7, RC-7 and RSW-15 for $1450. Do it is $1000 for al (3) speakers and $450 for the sub. What is everyone's thoughts? 

My view on pricing is quite a bit often skewed because I am known for buying my gear at pretty ridiculous pricing.  With that said, it's not uncommon for them to sell for the following:

RF-7 - $600 - $800
RC-7 - $250 - $350
RSW-15 - $600 - $800

Total: $1450 - $1950

If you are willing to buy the entire set, often the seller is more willing to negotiate price.  I love negotiating, mainly because I don't "need" anything.  My philosophy is I only buy items that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt if I had to sell them tomorrow, I would be able to get back the money I put into them. 

At $1450, you are getting the system at the low end but if the seller is motivated to get it all sold, you might be able to get it for $1200 - $1250.  It never hurts to ask....worst they can say is no thanks and you are back to $1450.

If it were me, I definitely would not pass on the RSW-15 for $450.  They "typically" sell for $300 or more and it will have NO problem filling your 15' x 25' room.  Two, even better.

Go test it, make sure everything is in working order.  The sub is getting old so sometime down the road, the amp could bite the dust but there is a guy on Ebay that can repair it. 

Does he have the matching RS-7 surrounds?

Let us know what happens...I'm pretty excited for you. 

• Like 1