Camp Lillian Spring

Mallette

@dtel@dtel's wife@ssh@Chief bonehead and @all my Forum friends.  Camp Lillian Spring is open to all who will leave it as they found it.  I'd particularly like to see if Roy, or anyone, can manage to get the marvelous fish out of the Cossatot.  I've been watching people try now for 60 years and yet to see anyone really succeed.  But they are there...beauties, in groups near the shore often.  Drop in bait and they swim around it, bump it with their tails, and generally ignore it.  But you see them striking at feeding times at insects on the water.  

Anyway, pretty close to everything one needs for the better life there now, not that I still don't have some work to do.  Power is still via extension cord from the pole and at some point this year I'll run a 50 amp line over for more permanent use.  But it works.  See attached pictures.  There is also a camper there with thermostatically controlled heat and air that can sleep three in the background in the picture where Thomas is playing his viola at the campfire.  We have a privacy tent for the potty and hot shower, but when I took this it was just Thomas and I, so I didn't have it set up.  Cabin, while small at 12X16, can sleep several.  It has an icemaker, fridge, microwave.  The only reason that microwave is there is that I had an extra not in use.  Frankly, whole place is getting a bit more civilized than I every intended.  But, a bit older now and some comforts are nice. 

Last shots are of the river about 2 miles away by car.  You can actually walk roughly 1500 feet from camp going north and get to a magnificent place on the river...but the last 500 feet is about a 30 percent grade.  My son and I last visited there last season...and I am done.  67 is a bit old for that grade.  Wore out both my 16 year old son and my German Shepherd, who had to be coaxed to keep going on the trip back up.  I am considering suggesting to the state they put a switchback trail in there as the trailhead would be right across the highway from my property (enlightened self-interests, donchaknow) and a great "pack it in, pack it out" access to a primitive area on this magnificent stream.  My mother's family have lived on and around this river since the late 19th century.  Runs through our family like a river...as it were.  We even have what is called "the river test" for young men or women who might be interested in joining the family.  If they come back after a trip here with our insanity, they are keepers.  If they don't, it will not work out.  Hasn't failed yet.

Anyone who wants to use it PM me. 

Dave

Potty.png

Barn.png

Cabin.png

Camp.png

Camper.jpg

Kitchen.png

Lamp.png

IMG_3863.JPG

Pipes 001.jpg

Pipes_003.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dtel's wife said:

OMG!  So beautiful!!!

Waiting on you, mi'lady.  You need some peace...and this place is all about peace.  Frogs are in beautiful form this time of year down at the pond that catches the water from Lillian Spring.  My son and I intend to dig the spring out soon.  It's been many years and it's time.  It is wonderful water, but actually the same as we get from the well which is only 60' and in the same aquifer. 

Dave

Dave,

That is an incredibly generous offer!  And, it's a nice looking piece of property.  I did some backpacking in the Caney Creek Wilderness Area when I was a teenager.  It is beautiful country, and the Cossatot is a magnificent river. 

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Mallette said:

Waiting on you, mi'lady.  You need some peace...and this place is all about peace.  Frogs are in beautiful form this time of year down at the pond that catches the water from Lillian Spring.  My son and I intend to dig the spring out soon.  It's been many years and it's time.  It is wonderful water, but actually the same as we get from the well which is only 60' and in the same aquifer. 

Dave

I need to experience this. Would love to do this soon. 

16 minutes ago, Opus said:

Dave,

That is an incredibly generous offer!  And, it's a nice looking piece of property.  I did some backpacking in the Caney Creek Wilderness Area when I was a teenager.  It is beautiful country, and the Cossatot is a magnificent river. 

Not all that generous.  Just needs enjoying it and I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't share God's creation as freely as He does.  Given your location, I assume you are still near.  Just let me know and I'll PM or email the combination.  It's the same for the gate and building.  Don't have a key up there yet for the camper, but intend to leave one next visit...which won't be long. 

Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mallette said:

Camp Lillian Spring is open to all who will leave it as they found it.  I'd particularly like to see if Roy, or anyone, can manage to get the marvelous fish out of the Cossatot.  I've been watching people try now for 60 years and yet to see anyone really succeed.  But they are there...beauties, in groups near the shore often.  Drop in bait and they swim around it, bump it with their tails, and generally ignore it.  But you see them striking at feeding times at insects on the water.  

Sounds like a great place to relax, tie some flies, and fish...