Windows 10 Audio Compression

beertender

I just installed Windows 10 on the computer that had been handling my music server duties.  Once that an my preferred audio program were installed, I tried it out.  I was aghast!  There was so much audio compression being used that all of my music sounded terrible.  I went through all the settings on my audio program, but none of them were set to add extra compression.  I googled Windows 10 and audio compression, but didn't get a lot of suggestions.  So for a while, I inserted an older computer into the system to serve the music from the network drive.  Later I found the Windows 10 sound panel and discovered that if I right click on my speakers (which is actually the audio out to my stereo system), and clicked 'properties', it brought up a new panel with four tabs.  One of those tabs says 'Enhancements'.  Clicking on that tab, I am presented with a list.  On that list, only 'Loudness Equalization' was checked.  I could also click 'Disable all sound effects'.  I finally did the last option ('Disable all sound effects).  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!   From un-listenable, to the music only slightly reconfigured by an equalizer.

Anyhow, I thought I would present this info here in case others have had issues with Windows 10 making their music collection unlistenable.

• Like 2

I personally have tried numerous times to get any computer to play acceptable audio... and failed every time even though I spent big bucks on comp equip. I now am contemplating on getting a Sony haz player... I think that will work if can output uncoverted audio so I can use my external dac.

Don't forget you can change the sampling rates.  By default it seems to be a couple notches down from "best."

I recently switched from Win 7 to Win 8.1 (in a week) then straight to Win 10.  My Logitech C-910 cam/mic doesn't work with the built-in Win 10 Skype.  The cam and mic work with the Logitech software but so far Skype doesn't seem to recognize and configure the C-910 properly.

+++

Thanks for the tips @beertender.  I'll check those audio settings as you suggested. 

7 hours ago, Schu said:

I personally have tried numerous times to get any computer to play acceptable audio... and failed every time even though I spent big bucks on comp equip.

Ironic, since there are multitudes of studios using computers to record and mix the very music many listen to.

I'm actually trying to find a way to get Windows 10 LTSB (Long Term Service Branch), without paying $84 a year subscription costs. It installs with nothing on the start screen, no store, no edge, and I believe all the xbox stuff is removed. It should be a good basis for my audio workstation.

My DAW also runs on linux, but I've had more trouble with that than I've had with Windows.

Bruce