MEH -- Multiple Entry Horn

Ever since reading this thread:

I've wanted to see and hear an MEH.

Thanks to @ClaudeJ1 I got to hear the MEHs in his fully horn-loaded system.  His are not 402 based, although he has a pair of 402s he's trying to get the courage to convert to MEH.  He also has other horn speakers, Klipsch and others, waiting to be put into service.

The photo shows the left MEH. There is a counterpart on the right, as well as a smaller one in the center (not used in 2-channel).  Two large tapped horn subs supplement the MEHs.  For 2-channel, the subs were almost unnecessary.  The tightness of time aligned horn-loaded MEH speakers was amazing.  Vocals are spooky.  Percussion is superb.

Claude's space in an urban artists' loft is also very interesting. The ceiling, with its architectural plaster ornamentation, hints at the 1930's building's original use as a Packard dealership showroom.

Claude mentioned that occasionally his landlord will call to ask him to turn down the music.  I asked him if the landlord is home, to which he replied, "Let's find out."

I guess he wasn't home, because the percussion demo Claude played was undoubtedly heard throughout the large building.

20170528_184753 (Mobile).jpg

• Like 3

We hit 124 db peaks before almost clipping a 135 WPC amp. This is the Chesky Drum Recording, which is the most realistic sounding drums and cymbals (like right in the room) that hurts your ears, just like real drums in the room. Got two 400 Watt Hypex Monobloc kits coming from Europe soon. Although the speaker will handle 576 watts before power compression sets in. 1 tweeter, Four 5" midranges, and twin 12" woofers with bass ports in the horn. Admittely I was listening to an Aleph J clone all winter with only 40 Watts per channel and that's plenty. I only crank the drum tracks to show it can be done, like getting a Ferrari up to 220 MPH on the autobahn, but normally obeying the 70 MPH speed limit. LOL.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give a big thanks to @ClaudeJ1 for having me over to give his system a listen this week. In a word, WOW. In many more words Synergy/Unity horns really are something else. Some of the strongest locked centered image I have ever heard in a speaker,  extremely precise 3d if the recording has it in it. It was a strong reminder of the low distortion and high dynamic sound of large format horns that I have been missing for a few years since selling my Jubscala. They play at a some of the same magic tricks in the midband that other point source speakers do like widebander/coaxial speakers while retaining that dynamic slam and speed of horns it's really something else. Claude's room was well set up and integrated I'm sure the entire surround system would have been WOW as well though we stuck to 2 ch+subs. Claude also shared some reference tracks with me as a well, and yes that Drum track is outright explosive. Thank you again for the opportunity to hear these wonderful speakers, it certainly gives me a lot to think about as to where I want to go system wise in the next few years.

• Like 2

Thanks for the great write up Mr. Tie. I discover new "inner voices" that PWK used to talk about, more so than any other setup I have ever had. I thinks a speaker that can pass a square wave from 250-2500 Hz. has something special to offer. These horns are the smallest I have ever had. By that I mean, I went from a 7 foot tall stack of multple horns with subs, down to just ONE and subs, but they, all 6,  each contain 7 drivers to do the job. With the full 6.2 surround, there are 44 drivers working, from a 1" compression driver down to a 21" B&C monster. Another owner described them as "Electrostatic Detail WITH Scary Dynamics." I agree with this notion and I amazed by these things every day.

I currently have 12 of them, One pair is sold, but will be parting with 2 more pairs soon to make room for some new designs I'm working on (I only need 6 for 2.2 and 6.2)). If there's any interest in, let me know.