Help with my new Marantz av7702mkIi

carlthess40

Hello people

I now have a Marantz av7702mkIi preamp and the

Marantz mm7055 amp and a rotel 2 channel amp for the side speakers. This is only 60 watts per channel witch I think should be find with the klipsch ki-102 speakers that I'm using for the sides and rears

Any advice with the set up and running the automatic set up

I am running it in a 7.1 set up

Also and pros and cons on the preamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I play with the speaker size in the settings? My center is a pro Yamaha horn loaded with a 15" woofer and a very large med tweeter. It's like 18" by 6"  

Just ensure you run all eight setup points, if your running klipsch (highly efficient) mains, you may have to go in and adjust the subwoofer trims upward quite a bit after calibration. Else the subs won't be able to keep up the mains at reasonable to high levels. That because the MKii tends set the sub low to begin with, and efficient speakers exacerbate the discrepancy.

One cool thing is you can set crossover for two channel listening separately. This allowed me to set my music playback, which I only listen to in two channel, at lower crossover than the default crossover setting.

Running the RP 280s for mains, I crossover at 60 for two channel playback, 80 for everything else. I find this gives the bass I like for music and movies.

I disable dynamic volume

Enable dynamic eq

Set m-Dax to low, to compensate for compressed online music like Spotify. If you stream uncompressed music from your computers from time to time, you may want to turn m-dax off on those occasions. I just set mine to low and don't worry about having to turn in on and off.

You def want to update the firmware asap, fixed a lot of networking issues for me.

Also, if you just bought it (unlike me), you may want to return it for the slighter newer models. They now have the ability to manually alter the filter curve via app on smartphone, and to determine a certain frequency beyond which the filter will not be applied.

If you don't care much about balanced outputs, you may want to get the sr 7010 receiver, as the MKii is literally the sr7010 with balanced outputs, minus nine channels of amplification, 6 of which I believe are reassignable on the sr 7010.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Great info at that. I got the pre amp and matching amp on a trade for a older sherbourn preamp and the 200 watt 7 channel mono amp. I really wanted to keep the amp but life goes on. Lol.

I have a 7009 which I am learning to love.    My biggest complaint lies in the Audyssey which does not sound good to my ears.    My guests and I all think my manual settings give better surround effects and generally sound better.     I have found that I am getting good tech support even though my amp is technically beyond the warranty period.

I have basically 3 settings on my Marantz.   First direct stereo which I use for Pandora;  second, TV which has my EQ settings on stereo and third, movies.    Especially on the movies I like the rear surrounds and the back heights to be considerably louder than Audyssey would set. So I use Manual setup rather than Audyssey.    I also like my custom settings on the  multi-channel virtual surround better than the Dolby.   There are so many controls I have spent 2 years learning the amp.   

I understand that the small setting on all speakers somehow makes the Sub work better.   Maybe someone here understands this.

Enjoy !

13 minutes ago, 1HOHDude said:

I understand that the small setting on all speakers somehow makes the Sub work better.   Maybe someone here understands this.

Generally speaking a full range speaker plays all the octaves from 20 Hz to 20 Khz.  Most of the power going to the speaker is used for the woofer to play the lowest octave.

If a subwoofer with a 300 watt amp is used it has a massive amount of power to play that lower octave with authority.  If the speaker is set to Small then power is not needed for the low end and will allow more power for dynamics in the mid to upper frequency.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

I finally have it all up and going besides the sub. And I will start playing around with it some

8 hours ago, 1HOHDude said:

On 6/10/2017 at 7:57 AM, 1HOHDude said:

On 6/10/2017 at 7:57 AM, 1HOHDude said:

My biggest complaint lies in the Audyssey which does not sound good to my ears

• Audyssey is the best thing that ever happened to my Klipschorns and Home Theater.  EVERYONE with Audyssey should read the Audyssey FAQ linked below.  It is the best of the best, and is well worth 1/2 hour to 1 hour to read, absorb, and make notes.  "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"   Unlike the virtual EQ sliders, Audyssey makes corrections at hundreds of points across the frequency spectrum.  The two alterations I mention below are common preferences, and are keeping with Harmon and other research that indicate most people prefer a little bass boost over flat.  Audyssey gives you flat, when played back on Audyssey FLAT, and a little bass boost improves it, a la Harmon, IMO.  By running Audyssey, then tweaking as described below, you can get smooth boost or cut, rather than "bumpy" boost or cut.  You can have your cake and eat it too.  Yum.
  • After running Audyssey (with all 8 mic positions) the trims can be altered using Manual; almost everyone does 2 things: 1) They turn up the subwoofer (in the AVR/pre-pro, for repeatability) 3 dB or more, after running Audyssey, to achieve a little bass boost..   It's probably a good idea to stay below -3 dB on the trim to avoid clipping of the AVR or pre-pro subwoofer output -- to achieve this  you will probably have to turn the sub control itself -- on the sub box --up considerably above where Marantz says to, before running Audyssey; this will get Audyssey to set your sub trim very low, then you can turn it up several dB without going above -3 on the AVR trim.  This will give you substantial bass boost.  Caution, if Audyssey sets your sub trim on the AVR/pre-pro to -12, and this is the maximum cut, turn down the volume control on the sub itself, and run Audyssey again.  - 11 is fine, but - 12 means Audyssey may have wanted to cut the sub even more, but ran out of cut, therefore couldn't.  2) They turn up the surrounds with the AVR/pre-pro trims.  Most movies (except for "action movies") under-use surrounds, so when Audyssey sets them correctly, they sound under used.
  • You can't use the virtual sliders for EQ and use Audyssey correction at the same time, BUT you can use DEQ (which I don't like) or the bass tone control, usable only when DEQ is off.  The true bass control (under "tone controls,") affects only the LF and RF speakers, but often gives just the "touch" that is needed to improve balance, once you have also turned up the sub.  The bass tone control can lift the bass between a crossover of about 80 to about 175 Hz, making it rise to match the sub boost at 80 and below..  Dynamic volume should be avoided, unless you want to subvert the intentions of the filmmakers &/or composer.
  • If you have very efficient speakers (Khorns, La Scala, etc.) you may have to use a workaround.  Let me know.  It's good you have separates: it's easy with them.
  • Use SMALL for the reasons wvu80 has given above.  If you want to try LARGE, go ahead, but know that bass management bass will not be sent to the sub at all, unless you use what Marantz calls LFE + MAIN, which will send anything sent to speakers set for LARGE to the sub also, and the sub will also get LFE.  For the usual method of just setting all speakers to SMALL, use LFE on the "Bass setting" on your Marantz.  Some of this terminology is misleading, but has been baked in by common misuse.  Let Audyssey set your crossovers.  If you want to experiment, a common THX starting point is a crossover at 80 Hz.

"Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"

• Like 1