Trade older pre/pro for newer receiver

W27

I used to exchange pre/pros every year or two. They depreciate so quick I decided to keep what I had until there were some significant changes. My current piece is a Marantz AV7005. I bought it new and it has performed flawlessly for past 5-6 years. 

Currently the Denon AVRX4300H is on sale everywhere for $800. I was thinking about picking one up while I can still get some money for my Marantz. It'll only cost me a few hundred after I sell the Marantz and I'll have a new unit, under warranty, with all the latest features. I'm considering giving atmos a shot too. 

What do you guys think, would it be an upgrade? My Marantz is made in Japan, the new Denon in Vietnam. I'm not sure about the quality comparison. Also going from a processor to receiver. Do you think it would be an upgrade if I don't use the atmos?

I'm using a B&K 200.2 and 200.5 to power a 7 channel all RF-7II system. 

On 8/18/2017 at 11:40 PM, CECAA850 said:

As a general rule I always thought that going from a pre/pro to a receiver was a step back.

So did I. I've also come to realize there's a lot of snake oil in the audio industry. Either way I'd be using separate amps to power my speakers. I feel they charge a premium for pre/pros. In a lot of cases the same processing is available in the high end receivers. I use different systems for my music. I doubt I could tell the difference between a high end receiver and a pre/pro that's twice as much. Considering they're removing the amp section, they should be cheaper. I figured I could use the extra channels to power atmos speakers if I go that route. 

Pre/pros are the only thing I really hate spending a lot of money on these days. They just depreciate too quick. I've already had quite a few. Honestly if just watching a movie I don't know if I could tell any of them apart lol. I figured I'd hear a difference with atmos, and gain some more streaming options. I'm still on the fence. I looked at a few today. The Yamaha Aventage stuff seems pretty solid. 

On 8/16/2017 at 1:12 AM, W27 said:

My current piece is a Marantz AV7005. I bought it new and it has performed flawlessly for past 5-6 years. 

Currently the Denon AVRX4300H is on sale everywhere for $800. I was thinking about picking one up while I can still get some money for my Marantz. It'll only cost me a few hundred after I sell the Marantz and I'll have a new unit, under warranty, with all the latest features. I'm considering giving atmos a shot too. 

What do you guys think, would it be an upgrade? My Marantz is made in Japan, the new Denon in Vietnam. I'm not sure about the quality comparison. Also going from a processor to receiver. Do you think it would be an upgrade if I don't use the atmos?

I'm using a B&K 200.2 and 200.5 to power a 7 channel all RF-7II system. 

I think it is worth a shot.  Are you able to buy the Denon and give it a good workout and then decide to keep or not?  What is the return policy of the merchant you are purchasing from?  Do they have a trade in program?

On 8/18/2017 at 11:40 PM, CECAA850 said:

As a general rule I always thought that going from a pre/pro to a receiver was a step back.

In many cases that is most likely true. One exception that I know of would be the NAD T787 AVR and the NAD T187 pre/pro.  Same preamp sections(stereo and multichannel), same DACs, same Audyssey MultEQ XT, and same DSPs.

11 hours ago, W27 said:

The Yamaha Aventage stuff seems pretty solid. 

Yep, I have heard(read) the same about their pre/pros and their TOtL AVR.

Another great AVR option would be an Anthem MRX710 if Atmos is not a must.

Bill

• Like 1

4 hours ago, willland said:

I think it is worth a shot.  Are you able to buy the Denon and give it a good workout and then decide to keep or not?  What is the return policy of the merchant you are purchasing from?  Do they have a trade in program?

In many cases that is most likely true. One exception that I know of would be the NAD T787 AVR and the NAD T187 pre/pro.  Same preamp sections(stereo and multichannel), same DACs, same Audyssey MultEQ XT, and same DSPs.

Yep, I have heard(read) the same about their pre/pros and their TOtL AVR.

Another great AVR option would be an Anthem MRX710 if Atmos is not a must.

Bill

It seems pretty much everywhere is selling the Denon 4300 cheap, so I'd probably just get my local Best Buy to price match. I just tweaked my surround and watched Gravity for the first time. I'm pretty happy at the moment. I think I'll hold off for now. 

The more I looked around I think I'm leaning towards Yamaha. Maybe I'll wait to find a deal on the 5100. I know the Anthems are supposed to be very nice. If I used it for music also and wasn't using separate power amps I'd probably give Anthem a shot. They're expensive and don't have a lot of the features of lesser priced receivers. The extra money probably goes towards better amplification. Which I don't need. 

• Like 1

If you are not going to add Atmos, or another audio format, that is now readily available, I wouldn't bother. 

Until the second lightning strike that made it unrepairable, I was using an ACT-3 bought in 1998 with the Soundstage Upgrade done in ~'05.  I was pleased with it and wish I still had it.  It was simple and easy to use and had 7.1 ins and outs for whatever audio.  It sounded great.  My newer, 6-y.o. (really?  Wow!)  Integra Pre/Pro does not sound better and is even harder to calibrate and setup, but it is more convenient with HDMI switching and still the latest audio formats except Atmos, native to it. 

• Like 1

Unlike John Albright, I'm an old guy stuck in the past. I don't need the latest toys, I just need to hear and enjoy whatever I'm listening to. That said, I'm still using a Denon 3801 (that's right> 01) as a preamplifier along with Acurus amps. I've never used the amplification in the Denon.