amplifer choice

biglion

Biglion,

Welcome to the forum.

25 minutes ago, teaman said:

Hi biglion, welcome to the forum. Are you interested in a multichannel amp or a stereo amp? Not sure since you only posted the pair of Klipsch. We can help you better once you specify.

Tim

To add to what Teaman said, do you mean an AVR(Audio Video Receiver) or home theater receiver?

Bill

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, willland said:

do you mean an AVR(Audio Video Receiver) or home theater receiver?

Sadly...I didn't realize there was a difference.  I've used both terms.  I continue to learn something new every day.

Welcome to the forums biglion.  We can certainly help you spend your money.

• Like 1

Hi @biglion welcome to the forums!

I suggest an AVR for you.  The 7.1 AVRs seem to be popular these days.  Mainstream brands known to work well with Klipsch include Pioneer Elite, Yamaha Aventage, Denon, Marantz and Onkyo.  Five hundred dollars can get you a nice sounding unit with lots of features.  What is your AVR budget?  

Look for something with around 100 wpc (2 channels driven).  More power means more expensive but if you can afford it more power is usually better.

We can also help you choose good speaker wire at a good price if you haven't bought any yet.  There is some stuff you want to stay away from.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I suggest an AVR for you.  The 7.1 AVRs seem to be popular these days.  Mainstream brands known to work well with Klipsch include Pioneer Elite, Yamaha Aventage, Denon, Marantz and Onkyo.  Five hundred dollars can get you a nice sounding unit with lots of features.  What is your AVR budget?  

Look for something with around 100 wpc (2 channels driven).  More power means more expensive but if you can afford it more power is usually better.

We can also help you choose good speaker wire at a good price if you haven't bought any yet.  There is some stuff you want to stay away from.

hey thanks for reply and salute to you for being in the army protecting our well being

1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

ok 500 dollars is good price i can work with also what it means when it says channels driven also whats recommend wire and what should i stay away from

1 hour ago, teaman said:

Hi biglion, welcome to the forum. Are you interested in a multichannel amp or a stereo amp? Not sure since you only posted the pair of Klipsch. We can help you better once you specify.

Tim

whats not sure what if need multichannel amp or a stereo amp i have the home surround

system

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

Sadly...I didn't realize there was a difference.  I've used both terms.  I continue to learn something new every day.

Welcome to the forums biglion.  We can certainly help you spend your money.

lol i dont have money like that lol lol i got a deal on the surround system

Biglion, do you already have a receiver? Are the RP-260's the only speakers you have or do you have other speakers in addition to those? Are you planning on running only two channels or 5.1, 7.1 9.1 etc?

Basically, do you have more than the two RP-260 speakers? If you have more, let us know!

If you are only using the two speakers and have no interest in multi channel, home theater you only need a basic stereo receiver or amp/preamp combo. There is no use in investing in a Dolby Atmos/DTS encoded receiver or pre/pro if you are only going to use it with two speakers. 

Tim

3 hours ago, teaman said:

Biglion, do you already have a receiver? Are the RP-260's the only speakers you have or do you have other speakers in addition to those? Are you planning on running only two channels or 5.1, 7.1 9.1 etc?

Basically, do you have more than the two RP-260 speakers? If you have more, let us know!

If you are only using the two speakers and have no interest in multi channel, home theater you only need a basic stereo receiver or amp/preamp combo. There is no use in investing in a Dolby Atmos/DTS encoded receiver or pre/pro if you are only going to use it with two speakers. 

Tim

no i dont have no receiver the one used had blowed it wasnt enough power this is the system i have http://www.klipsch.com/products/home-theater-systems-reference-premiere?model=rp-250 

Are you looking at Atmos? Installing in ceiling speakers and such? Have you checked into https://www.accessories4less.com/ ? They have a lot of clearance receivers and such at great prices.

Just my two cents but why would you feel comfortable spending $3k on speakers and no more than $600 on a receiver or amp/pre/pro to power it?

12 hours ago, biglion said:

ok so what does 2 channels being driven only

@willland ^^^ is correct.  

I added the warning about 2-channel because you will want to compare AVR power apples-to-apples.  THE PROBLEM is these days manufacturers seem to mis-lead consumers by publishing power with ONE channel driven, which at first glance will make an AVR look more powerful then it really is.  Nobody runs a multi-channel setup on ONE channel!

Onkyo is not the only one who does this, but I am an Onkyo fanboy and it aggravates me they would do this.  Check out the specs on this Onk AVR:

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-RZ810-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B01ETUV4I8/ref=sr_1_3?m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1504442695&sr=8-3&keywords=onkyo+receiver 

This ad says this AVR puts out 200 watts per channel, a really high number for an AVR.  But look closer, with 2 channels driven it is actually 130 wpc.

THX-Certified 130 W/Ch (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08% THD, 2 Channels Driven, FTC)

and 200 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 1 Channel Driven, FTC) from Custom RZ Grade Parts

If you compared another AVR brand at the same price point which advertises with 2 channels driven against the Onk "1 Channel Driven" the Onk looks like it has more power.  It doesn't.

There are other numbers and technical terms we could discuss but just be aware to compare using the 2 channels driven spec.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, biglion said:

also whats recommend wire and what should i stay away from

Get OFC.  Stay away from CCA.

I use Monoprice speaker wire 12 awg. with banana plugs (do not use Monoprice plugs).  Be sure to use Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) and NOT Copper Clad Aluminum (CCA).  CCA is the cheap stuff.  Unless it says OFC on the label, it is the cheaper CCA.

Size 16 awg will be just fine.  FYI I consider the 12 awg I use overkill, but that's why we're here, isn't it?  B)

This is from the Monoprice site which explains why you want OFC and not CCA.

This speaker wire features two conductors made of high purity (greater than 99.95% pure), oxygen-free bare copper. Pure Bare Copper is a superior conductor to the copper clad aluminum (CCA) conductors used in most other inexpensive speaker wire. CCA is only about 68% as conductive as pure bare copper. This additional resistance is added to the impedance of your speakers and can negatively effect the sound.

For the wire to have no audible effect, the total wire resistance should be no more than 5% of the lowest impedance of your speakers. Even speakers rated for a nominal 8-ohms, may dip to as low as 4-ohms at some frequencies, which further reduces the total cable resistance allowed in the wire. Using Pure Bare Copper speaker wire ensures that the total load put on the amplifier remains as close as possible to the impedance curve of your speakers.

For example, a 16AWG 2-conductor Pure Bare Copper speaker wire has a total resistance of 0.803 ohms per 100 feet (both directions must be considered). By comparison, a 16AWG 2-conductor CCA speaker wire has a total resistance of 1.181 ohms per 100 feet. Assuming 4 ohms is the lowest impedance of your speakers, a speaker wire run can be no more 0.2-ohms total. 20 feet of 16AWG Pure Bare Copper would be 0.1606 ohms, well under the 0.2-ohm limit. On the other hand, 20 feet of 16AWG CCA would be 0.2362 ohms, well OVER the 0.2-ohm limit.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2817&seq=1&format=2